Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:35:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stalled careers

Started by Famous Mortimer, December 29, 2013, 05:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

Quote from: mothman on February 16, 2014, 06:19:52 PM
What the Hell Happened? hasn't done Hartnett yet, I've put in a request...

Great read, that site. Thanking you!

Custard

Quote from: Xindioka on February 15, 2014, 06:48:00 PM
I'm rather happy that the career of that talentless, thuggish twat Vinnie Jones has been in a permanent downward spiral after his brief moment of fame at the turn of the century. People really did seem to think he had a viable future as a film star back then - I even remember him on a UK chatshow embarrassingly being introduced as 'Hollywood actor Vinnie Jones'. The last thing I saw him in was a dreadful mini-appearence in limited-release shite Crossfire.

Currently treading the boards in an ad for the Daily Star's bingo website.

SteveDave

Has anyone mentioned Bud Cort yet? If not, Bud Cort

Spiteface

Quote from: Urinal Cake on December 31, 2013, 08:30:28 PM
There was kerfuffle when she or somebody else got tired of HaA being referenced or said HaA was shit or something and then the press was like, 'WHo does she think she is HaA is great Australian telly and she should be thankful her successful career started with such a prestigious program that is exported around the world and people were like I can't give a fuck and all the f-list talents.'

I remember an interview in the Metro last year (I think) where it was brought up. Her problem with it is that it was so long ago she's done a lot of stuff between then and now (whether or not you've actually seen or heard any of it is another matter entirely), that she's always baffled how Home & Away ALWAYS pops up when she does interviews over here.

mothman

Didn't Holly Valance do something similar, in that she got fed up with being regarded solely as Lad's Mag fodder in this country (learning as many others have that while it seemed quite OK to go down that route when you're an up & coming starlet, trying to get away from it later on isn't so easy) and pretty-much flounced off away from her music career to concentrate on acting in the US?

Urinal Cake

Hmm there might be some sexism and snobbery involved. Hemsworth, Pierce etc don't seem to get much of that because they're 'big, Hollywood stars' now.

zomgmouse

Quote from: SteveDave on March 03, 2014, 11:54:16 PM
He was in that episode of Arrested Development!

...Yep.

Frazer

Joseph Pilato's turn as the gloriously over the top Captain Rhodes in Day of the Dead should've led to more than bit parts.

Monkey Farm

phantom_power

What about John Cusack. Big star in the mid to late nineties making good films like Grosse Point Blank and High Fidelity. I can't remember the last film he did that I wanted to see (Hot Tub Time Machine probably)

What's Joan doing as well? She was always a good character actress.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: phantom_power on March 06, 2014, 02:57:01 PM
What about John Cusack. Big star in the mid to late nineties making good films like Grosse Point Blank and High Fidelity. I can't remember the last film he did that I wanted to see (Hot Tub Time Machine probably)....

Wouldn't say there's been a noticeable change in his career – Cusack works a heck of a lot, sometimes in supporting roles, sometimes leading roles, sometimes good, sometimes not so good, sometimes big budget, sometimes not so big budget.

IIRC, he got good reviews for portraying Nixon in The Butler and he will soon be one of the leads in a David Cronenberg's next film.

NurseNugent

Quote from: SteveDave on March 03, 2014, 11:54:16 PM

Wasn't he in a really bad car accident which partially severed his tongue or something? That last bit might not be quite right, but I know he was in a bad accident which did a lot of damage physically and to his career.

I was reminded of Emily Woof recently. She was everywhere in the mid-late 90s and then seemed to disappear.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: phantom_power on March 06, 2014, 02:57:01 PM
What about John Cusack. Big star in the mid to late nineties making good films like Grosse Point Blank and High Fidelity. I can't remember the last film he did that I wanted to see (Hot Tub Time Machine probably)

What's Joan doing as well? She was always a good character actress.

She's in the American version of Shameless, along with William H. Macy.

phantom_power

Quote from: Ignatius_S on March 06, 2014, 03:10:44 PM
Wouldn't say there's been a noticeable change in his career – Cusack works a heck of a lot, sometimes in supporting roles, sometimes leading roles, sometimes good, sometimes not so good, sometimes big budget, sometimes not so big budget.

IIRC, he got good reviews for portraying Nixon in The Butler and he will soon be one of the leads in a David Cronenberg's next film.

I don't know.  I just know that there was a time when Cusack I a film was a sign of quality and that hasn't been true for a long time

Ant Farm Keyboard

Rachel Leigh Cook was groomed as the next big thing at the time of She's All That, but she's not been all that relevant anymore.
Other starlets who went out of fashion fast: LeeLee Sobieski, Mena Suvari.

And, in the male starlet category, what became of Chris O'Donnell, Orlando Bloom (in non Tolkien/pirates movies) or Sam Worthington? Or, a generation ago, Brad Dourif?

holyzombiejesus

Pedants Corner.

Sam Rockwell has also been in films with both KK & SJ. Melissa George was also in The Slap which wasn't exactly low rent scream queen material either.

Anyway, Mickey Rourke's career is back on it's downward trajectory now, isn't it? Poor Mickey.

Paweł Pawlikowski looked like he had a decent career ahead of him until his wife became ill and he halted the filming of some film to care for her. The Woman in the Fifth didn't do too well and I'm not sure if his next film even got a UK release. A shame.

Anyone mentioned Mena Suvari yet? EDIT: Yes they have. Have Christina Ricci instead.

zomgmouse

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: NurseNugent on March 06, 2014, 09:29:24 PM
I was reminded of Emily Woof recently. She was everywhere in the mid-late 90s and then seemed to disappear.
Looks like she's become an author - but it's often the case when an actress misses a few years of roles that they've had a kid.

Chris O'Donnell is, last time I checked, starring in the NCIS spinoff, but the rest of Ant Farm Keyboard's names are good picks.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on March 06, 2014, 11:59:56 PM
Or, a generation ago, Brad Dourif?

Hasn't he spent the last 40 years being one of the world's busiest "wacko" character actors? He never seems to be out of work. Just look at his list of credits!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Dourif

Phil_A

Similarly, I always wondered what happened to once up-and-coming actress Emily Lloyd. Her biggest roles were in "A River Runs Through It" and "When Saturday Comes", but only a handful of small parts in the years since.

Bad Ambassador

Emily Lloyd apparently had mental health problems. Her autobiography came out last year.

Melissa George is a regular in the current series of The Good Wife.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Phil_A on March 07, 2014, 11:46:31 AM
Similarly, I always wondered what happened to once up-and-coming actress Emily Lloyd. Her biggest roles were in "A River Runs Through It" and "When Saturday Comes", but only a handful of small parts in the years since.

Her biggest part is still her debut, in Wish You Were Here. In addition to Bad Ambassador, he was mentioned by Marty McFly on page 2 of this topic. She has a quite documented story of disillusions and mental illness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Lloyd#Health

lipsink

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 07, 2014, 10:57:43 AM
Hasn't he spent the last 40 years being one of the world's busiest "wacko" character actors? He never seems to be out of work. Just look at his list of credits!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Dourif

I think after 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' and 'Wise Blood' he was expected to become a huge leading man whereas now he's ended up becoming a reliable backup in supporting character roles and cameos. Also, he's gone the route of cult films rather than the Oscar friendly roles he started out in. He's great in everything he's in though and he has appeared in lots of fantastic films.

Ignatius_S

With Lloyd, there strong argument that there was an element of 'too much, too soon' – which could have caused or acerbated mental health issues.

Lloyd was known as a 'wild child' – she and Amanda de Cadenet (who found fame in a fashion by presenting The Word) were thick as thieves and often made the tabloids as they did the nightclubs.

Additionally, Lloyd made the transition to Hollywood incredibly quickly – IIRC, it was straight after the breakthrough of Wish You Were Here, which I think was her first film. There was a lot of reporting at the time about how difficult that Lloyd was to work with.

Given the state of British cinema at the time, it's not surprising that Lloyd did move to America. However, there would naturally be a lot of pressure for someone at that age – and I would also say it's harder for females in Hollywood. Although her performances were good (Cookie with Peter Falk was something of an disappointment), the films weren't successes – one can't blame her for that, however. For instance, the Bruce Willis one had the male lead miscast (Willis was trying to remould himself as a serious actor) and it was the type of film that was likely to do badly at the box office.

Although Wish You Were Here was a short-cut to Hollywood (and some decent parts), there was a drawback in that Lloyd was so good, it was a lot to live up to and the expectation of bringing that to any film.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: lipsink on March 07, 2014, 12:23:14 PM
I think after 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' and 'Wise Blood' he was expected to become a huge leading man whereas now he's ended up becoming a reliable backup in supporting character roles and cameos. Also, he's gone the route of cult films rather than the Oscar friendly roles he started out in. He's great in everything he's in though and he has appeared in lots of fantastic films.

Mmm, not sure how Oscar-friendly Wise Blood was!

Dourif was not conventional leading man material. In the 1970s, the industry changed allowing actors, who weren't traditional leading men to take the leading roles – e.g. Walter Matthau starred in Charley Varrick and romantic comedies; as he said before you had to have good-looking men in those roles, not ugly mugs like him.

In the 1980s, that was reversed and such actors weren't fashionable. High concept was in – 'we' wanted the Cruises, the Stallones, etc. bloody etc. and Dourif simply didn't fit in. The same applies for the change in the types of films being made.

Also, when he's been interviewed, I get the impression that he's the type of actor that likes doing different stuff.

great_badir

Quote from: Ignatius_S on March 07, 2014, 12:40:37 PM
Also, when he's been interviewed, I get the impression that he's the type of actor that likes doing different stuff.

Yeah - I met him at a Memorabilia show at the NEC some years ago (nice, funny, down to earth guy - the complete opposite of the characters he tends to play) and he said to someone else there that he loves do different genres, but acknowledged that he fits a certain character type.  He said that he would love to do a normal character in a proper comedy (which I still don't think he's really done?), and that's his only real regret, but he still absolutely LOVES doing Chucky.

He also confirmed that the film he was most proud of was Wise Blood.

Tiny Poster

Bloody great in Deadwood too.

mothman

I once tried to assemble my fantasy Star trek spin-off fantasy starship crew. I didn't get very far with it beyond Tony Todd as the Captain, Leland Orser as first officer... and Brad Dourif as... someone. A Doctor? It was just a passing conceit anyway.

MuteBanana

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 07, 2014, 12:03:09 AM
Paweł Pawlikowski looked like he had a decent career ahead of him until his wife became ill and he halted the filming of some film to care for her.

Possibly The Restraint of Beasts which had a great cast list of John Henshaw, Rhys Ifans and Ben Whishaw.

Checking...

QuoteIn 2006, Pawel Pawlikowski directed a film adaptation starring Rhys Ifans, Ben Whishaw, Eddie Marsan, and Warren Clarke but it was suspended in mid-production when the director's wife fell seriously ill and died. In 2010, he said "We'd shot 60% of the film when I had to stop. The material looks great, like nothing I've ever done or even seen before. It could have been really great, definitely original."

No mention of Henshaw but I'm sure he was on the IMDB page which now seems to have been removed.

Fabian Thomsett

Wasn't he in a really bad car accident which partially severed his tongue or something? That last bit might not be quite right, but I know he was in a bad accident which did a lot of damage physically and to his career.

It appears she didn't like fame very much:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/mar/21/once-upon-life-emily-woof

I miss her. Had a crush on her since Killer Net.