Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 08:32:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sorcery Saga

Started by Consignia, December 30, 2013, 09:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consignia

Probably of very little interest to many due to a perfect storm of platform, presentation and genre, but I thought I'd at least make a topic on which would otherwise be confined to a "What are you playing now" thread. It's Sorcery Saga for the PS Vita. It's apparently what is known as a roguelike, but I don't think I've ever really played one before, so I don't know how apt that moniker is. I've heard it fits the bill quite well, but I'm afraid I'll have to leave it to others for the actual judgement.

On the surface it's a very simple game, a simple RPG style game, where you must go through randomly generated dungeons to reach the endpoint. However, it's very easy to make stupid mistakes and die. And when you die you lose all your items and have to start from level 1 all over. In fact each dungeon you have to start from level 1, so you have to grind all the time. It has quite a light presentation though, which takes off some of the edge of it's brutality, and the whole curry making mechanic gives a fun side to it as well.

I'm finding it strangely compelling. Despite frequently losing three hours of work to being killed by an elf or other such embarrassment, I keep finding myself being dragged back into it. It's frustating and fun in equal measure. I haven't really played a game quite like it, but I've heard it's a pretty by-the-rules roguelike.

Anyway, if any of this sort of thing floats your boat, I'd say give it a shot.

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: Consignia on December 30, 2013, 09:28:55 PM
It's apparently what is known as a roguelike, but I don't think I've ever really played one before, so I don't know how apt that moniker is.

Quote from: Consignia on December 30, 2013, 09:28:55 PM
On the surface it's a very simple game, a simple RPG style game, where you must go through randomly generated dungeons to reach the endpoint. However, it's very easy to make stupid mistakes and die. And when you die you lose all your items and have to start from level 1 all over. In fact each dungeon you have to start from level 1, so you have to grind all the time.

I'd say you pretty much nailed the description of a rougelike there.