Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:17:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The time the place

Started by The Giggling Bean, December 31, 2013, 01:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

One thing I like about the pilot footage is that it gives us a glimpse of how Morris will have looked prattin' about at the desk of his Music Show.

Petey Pate

Didn't Morris hate the pilot?  Could have been the reason why it wasn't included on the DVD in its entirity.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

TDT DVD is generally great stuff, including the execution of the easter eggs. The additional content is enjoyable if a tad throwaway, but then it's made up for by the pilot, by Mininews and everything else- it's a super work. Morris vs Partridge on Diana is good, the 9/11 one "I'M COLLAPSING CHRIS I'M COLLAPSING" is very funny.

Shame BE DVD really is a huge waste, unfortunately the show came out just before DVDs took off, and as a result a lot of late 1990s TV shows and films have shoddy DVDs with the makers not really fully exploiting the technology available, or not caring to.

Ambient Sheep

A BUMP taking this back to the original topic.

This evening I was watching one of those Channel 5 clip-shows, "The Best of Bad TV: The 90s" and was most gratified to see a decent section about the Chris Morris / John Stapleton interface scenario, including quite a few clips in pretty good quality (so I can confidently say that no, it's not Mark Heap sitting next to him).

Quote"You know the story of the Minotaur in the labyrinth, this half-man half-bull, was often depicted like that, but occasionally was depicted as a large four-legged breast."

I laughed out loud.  A lot.

You'll be pleased to know that the show treated CM's appearance glowingly, even giving him possibly undeserved credit for how well he handled his "outing".

You'll be even more pleased to know that the same show also included the Littlejohn/Winner/lesbians event, again in good quality and with positive comments (even if too many of them interrupted the clip).

To be honest though, these particular clip shows (I've seen the 70s and 80s ones too) have been a slight cut above yer usual standard, generally better and more thoughtful than Channel 4's recent efforts -- whoda thunk it from C5?  They've generally been well researched and free of the more moronic talking heads... although I shall NEVER forgive them for putting Sapphire and Steel as "bad TV" n the 70s edition.

One final note: they seem to have different length edits of some of these (either the 70s or 80s one had both 90 mins and 120 mins editions).  The one i just watched was a 90 minute version broadcast on Tuesday 2016/04/19 at 23:00.  (Apparently first broadcast date was 2015/08/07.)  So presumably any longer one will still have CM in, but any shorter one (if it exists) may not do.

Ambient Sheep

Just a quick question and comment on earlier thread stuff:

Quote from: Neil on January 07, 2014, 03:28:29 AM
Brian Cox was scheduled to appear in telly as part of a debate. One of his first times doing so, and he was a bit nervous about it. CM showed him that interview, and said if he ever wanted to throw his opponent, and make him sound like he was unsure of what he was saying, he should copy CM's "what is this guy ON" face-pulling and snorting. He did, and all.

Brian Cox the actor, or Brian Cox the look-at-me-standing-all-beautiful-on-windswept-cliff-tops-while-failing-to-explain-anything-properly professor?

Quote from: 23 Daves on January 07, 2014, 08:57:32 AMIt was also at this point where he threw together a couple of tossed away spoof websites (Tragibutes and the East London Bar Guide) which I thought were funny enough in a 'wry smile' kind of way, but certainly not classic Morris.

I agree that the ELBG was pretty lame (perhaps, like Nathan Barley, you had to be hanging round those places to properly "get it"), but I have to say I absolutely adored Tragibutes, and was very sad when one day it vanished into the bit-bucket, never to be seen again...

...although I seem to remember it did get archived somewhere or other.  God knows where though.

Thomas

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on October 16, 2016, 05:15:51 AM
This evening I was watching one of those Channel 5 clip-shows, "The Best of Bad TV: The 90s" and was most gratified to see a decent section about the Chris Morris / John Stapleton interface scenario, including quite a few clips in pretty good quality (so I can confidently say that no, it's not Mark Heap sitting next to him).

I think I saw that last year. If I remember rightly, something of the narrator's cadence, or the tone of certain gags, made me think that somebody involved was a fan of Morris.

I think I felt like he'd be included in some way, and I was similarly gratified when The Time, The Place appeared.

Barry Admin

Sheepy: Brian Cox the scientist, his mate. And Tragibutes here: http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/page,morrismirrors.html

edit:  haha whoops, need to flesh out those notes to self.

Ambient Sheep

Thanks Barry, but at the moment http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/morrismirrors/tragibutes/Tragibutes.htm gives:

Quote403 Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /morrismirrors/tragibutes/Tragibutes.htm on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I had no idea that CM and Prof. Brian Cox were mates.  Strange, I would have thought him very much the kind of guy that CM would try to spoof.

Barry Admin

Just click on "Morris Mirrors" from the main page menu on the left, certain forum modifications keep fucking up the links, sorry. Yes, they're pals, met through Brian Cox's excellent wife Gina Millinovich (one of the few people I actually miss from Twitter, ditto Ian "cake-fuck" Martin), who iirc was also responsible for introducing CM to Charlie Brooker at one of her middle-class dinner parties.

Thomas

Amby, have you heard the podcast of Brian Cox taking Morris on a tour around the CERN facility? Recorded 2008.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Barry Admin on October 16, 2016, 11:27:30 PMJust click on "Morris Mirrors" from the main page menu on the left, certain forum modifications keep fucking up the links, sorry.

Still doesn't work for me... I click the link on the left near the bottom, it seems to take me to the same Morris Mirrors page you linked above, which contains the same link to Tragibutes that doesn't work.

Firefox 22 here, for boring reasons.  Does it work for anyone else who doesn't have Admin permissions?

Quote from: Barry Admin on October 16, 2016, 11:27:30 PMYes, they're pals, met through Brian Cox's excellent wife Gina Millinovich (one of the few people I actually miss from Twitter, ditto Ian "cake-fuck" Martin), who iirc was also responsible for introducing CM to Charlie Brooker at one of her middle-class dinner parties.

Blimey, ok, thanks for that!

Quote from: Thomas on October 16, 2016, 11:28:49 PM
Amby, have you heard the podcast of Brian Cox taking Morris on a tour around the CERN facility? Recorded 2008.

Ah, right.  No, I haven't.  I know CM took the tour (in his nice yellow helmet) and did the podcast, but never got round to listening to it, and didn't know that BC was involved.  Cheers.

I'm having the exact same problems as Ambient. I'm on Chrome, if that means anything.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: A Car With No Doors on October 17, 2016, 10:37:09 PM
I'm having the exact same problems as Ambient. I'm on Chrome, if that means anything.

Heh, I was going to PM you as-and-when it was working.  Hopefully soon...

(For others, ACWND mentioned Tragibutes in the chatroom earlier on Sunday night after my first post on it here, saying that they'd never actually seen it.  So I gave a lame textual description to be getting on with.)

Puce Moment

Did anyone else see this go out live? I count it as one of the most fortuitous media moments in my life. Cleaning up my room with it on in the background and recognising the voice and realising what I was watching, trying to video it, but being too late.

Bumping into Morris himself randomly in Leeds train station was just as random.