Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:19:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2014

Started by Mr_Simnock, January 01, 2014, 03:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

Whats the format of this match? First to 8?

rjd2

Might be worth having a look on the Rothenerg twitter account, retweeting peeps who are claiming Stan went off at Roger's missus during the match.

https://twitter.com/BenRothenberg

biggytitbo

I can imagine she might be a bit distracting when you're trying to serve -

biggytitbo

Respectful enough performance from Murray, albeit his Mauresmo-esque serving still a massive problem for him.

rjd2

Very amusing interview with Murray, never understood why so many people dislike him so much.

I will say though, he is going to have to some serious reflection in the next month or so, Mauresmo has to be worried and rightfully so about her prospects, what has she brought to his game?

Sky not done their research, season not finished for Novak though, he and the rest are playing in the IPL in ten days.

http://www.iptlworld.com/

biggytitbo

What the shit is that?

rjd2

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 16, 2014, 07:27:34 PM
What the shit is that?

Its tennis trying to crack India, and players trying to make a quick buck. A complete fuck you to anybody though who moans about playing to much tennis but still rocks up to this.

Four teams consisting of up to ten players will compete in 24 best-of-five round robin matches which will take place across the four cities between November 28 and December 13, consisting of a set each for men's singles, women's singles, men's doubles, mixed doubles, and, if required, a legends singles tiebreak to decide the match.[2] Unlike in a standard match of tennis, whereas the tiebreak would be invoked if the score reached 6–all in a set, it will be invoked if the score reaches 5–all in any set.[3]

For the 2014 tournament, current men's and women's world number ones, Novak Djokovic and Serena Williams, are confirmed to be taking part, as well as active former world number ones Roger Federer, Lleyton Hewitt, Caroline Wozniacki, Maria Sharapova and Ana Ivanovic, and former Grand Slam champions Pete Sampras, Carlos Moyá, Goran Ivanišević, Andy Murray and Andre Agassi, among many others.[1]

On 22 September, Rafael Nadal withdrew from the league due to health problems. He is replaced by Roger Federer, who eventually takes his spot.

biggytitbo

Sounds like its a kind of dirty secret nobody wants to acknowledge, like when film stars go do an advert in Japan.

Deanjam

The off season's always had expos for the players to earn a fortune, but this one is on a much grander scale. I think the organiser Mahesh Bhupathi has ambitions of it becoming a full scale league in the future.

Expect the ATP finals to be moved to Asia promptly if it is a success.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I hope its indoors. I watched the tennis at the Delhi commonwealth games and Sania Mirza was trying to see the ball through a fogbank of mosquitos. No wonder they don't like it much.

Deanjam

That was tweeted into my Twitter timeline earlier. A successful piece of click-bait.

biggytitbo

Quote from: rjd2 on November 17, 2014, 06:00:25 PM
So it seems Biggy is now writing for Eurosport?

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/the-hairdryer/shameful-roger-federer-has-betrayed-spirit-of-sport-090201517.html?bcmt=comments-postbox

I think the article woefully underestimates Federers gargantuan ego. No way he'd go into a match thinking he couldn't win, even with an injury. Which leads me to think he genuinely thought he was too injured to play.

Deanjam

Davis Cup final venue. Gonna be amazing when full.

Deanjam

In 1996 American tennis pro Andrea Jaegar travelled to Dunblane to comfort survivors of the massacre and give the kids some tennis tips. Check out the kid second from the right.

biggytitbo

Wow Monfils just beat Federer in straight sets. 1-1 now after Wawrinka beat Tsonga in the first match.

biggytitbo

Eurosport confused me, that was yesterday!

Deanjam

Fed was clearly bothered by his back but I don't think it would've made any difference. Gael played like he did in the first 2 sets at the US Open but didn't choke this time.

Wawrinka was awesome against Tsonga.

Swiss need to win this doubles to win the tie I reckon.

selectivememory

Quote from: Deanjam on November 22, 2014, 03:05:14 PM
Swiss need to win this doubles to win the tie I reckon.

Yeah, they need this and then Stan needs to beat Monfils. Tsonga will fancy his chances against Federer. Stan found some form at the right time after a middling second half of a year though, and he's looked really good recently with the exception of that Djokovic match.

I think I'd quite like the Swiss to win, even though I share Biggy's dislike of Federer. It would be a bit of a shame if such a great pairing as Stan and Rodge didn't win it sometime.

selectivememory

Very convincing win for the Swiss in the doubles, and Federer looking very sharp. They've got to be strong favourites to win this now.

Deanjam

It seems Tsonga turned down a nomination in doubles. Not sure it would've made much difference, but Gasquet was the worst player out there. French probably should've gone with Benneteau & Roger-Veselin.

Tsonga & Monfils beating Fed & Stan isn't impossible, but the Swiss are favourites now.

rjd2

Gasquet and Benny play together a bit so it didn't seem that bad of an idea, but Gasquet has been wank all year and is not exactly known for his mental toughness so was always going to have question marks over him. Tsonga would have done no better, not much of a doubles player either and wouldn't have played to much with Benny and was trashed when he partnered Gasquet not to long ago.

Wawrinka and Federer have played together a lot over the years so always were going to be formidable. I do hope Tsonga beats Federer, Wawrinka v Monfils in a decider would be fantastic.

biggytitbo

I just hope France find a way to win it. Nothing funnier than Federer losing. He choked when he's tried to get his desperately wanted Olympic gold in 2012, hope he does the same here.

A Monfils v Wawrinka decider would be very tasty indeed.

rjd2

Rumours floating about that Tsonga may not be able to play against Federer, can't sub in anyone so it could be Benneteau or more likely or more likely Gasquet v Federer. Gasquet in a do or die Davis Cup final against Federer with a intense crowd behind him, I couldn't think of a more unlikely option not just in France, but in the history of sport to get it done.

selectivememory

Yeah, Jesus Christ, don't put Gasquet in that situation. It'll be carnage. Benneteau is capable of giving Federer a match, especially if his back injury is still a factor. Shame about Tsonga, he often plays well against Fed.

rjd2

Fucking hell, Tsonga has pulled out and they are going to put Gasquet in to replace him. The smugness of Federer right now is probably through the roof at the prospect of that match up.

Try to win a few games Richard please.

selectivememory

Not quite a procession for Federer here, but there's still no question about how this match is going to end.

selectivememory

Quote from: selectivememory on November 23, 2014, 01:17:04 PM
Not quite a procession for Federer here

I take that back after the way he finished that second set. He's all over Gasquet now.

biggytitbo

What a fucking balls up from France. Gasquet?!

Deanjam

Congrats to Switzerland. Delighted for Stan & Fed. Very worthy winners.

Feel bad for Gael, who played the match of his life on Friday.