Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:29:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2014

Started by Mr_Simnock, January 01, 2014, 03:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buttgammon

Wow! I saw the first set of Ivanovic v Williams and as well as Ana was playing, I really didn't see her winning that one after she lost the set.

I do fancy Tsonga tonight but we'll see. It's partly because I keep thinking of that match from Wimbledon a couple of years ago when Tsonga made a very impressive comeback.

rjd2

I have been guilty like most of slagging the ladies of but at least all of those girls bar Pennetta have some sort of chance or at least should believe they can win this. Not as open in the men side sadly.

Fingers crossed Nadal is somewhat tested later and we get a good match between Federer and Tsonga.

Deanjam

Hard to look past Li Na on the top half of the women's draw now. Probably her versus Azarenka/Sharapova for the final, although Halep could throw a spanner in the works.

The men's draw has been beyond tedious. Not only going to seeding, but generally in straight sets every time too. Almost the quarter finals and the only memorable match has been Hewitt v Seppi.

selectivememory

We are getting to the point though where there might be some decent ties in the men's draw. Tsonga-Fed has potential, and I think Wawrinka is capable of beating Djokovic; he almost certainly won't, but if he's at his best he's got a shot, and their last two slam meetings were both the best matches of their respective tournaments.

Looks likely that it'll be a Nadal-Djokovic final though: if Murray's at his best he can make it, obviously, although I'd quite like to see Tsonga take on Nadal in a slam again (their last meeting at this level was the semifinal here in 2008). I imagine he could cause him some trouble.

Ferrer-Berdych though? Yawn...

Nobody Soup

djokovic always seems to find the resilience to beat back someone on a good day, he's not got a record of being dumped out by people having  purple patch like murray, nadal or federer do.

it's mission impossible for murray from here I think. I just don't think he'll have the stamina right now to play 3 matches like he'll have to one after the other. He should beat federer was he on top form and healed, and on hard I'd maybe back him against nadal, but right now there's too many factors that are making it difficult for him to go on and win it. unless dimitrov dumps out nadal or someone beats djokovic I can't see it.

selectivememory

Fancy Murray to beat Federer, but yeah, he's (probably) got to beat Federer, Nadal and Djokovic to win this title - and with a day's less rest before the final than Djokovic... I'd stop short of saying it's impossible, but it looks highly unlikely. But he's been looking pretty good and so even a QF exit would a decent result given his surgery. He's only going to improve as the year goes on, and I'm not sure if anyone is going to be able to beat him at Wimbledon.

I think Stan might prove a difficult challenge for Djokovic, but I don't see him losing (last time he lost to someone other than Murray, Nadal or Federer at a slam was 2010, so yes, he usually finds something in the tank even if he's playing terribly).

Deanjam

Federer looked great against Tsonga. Best he's looked for an absolute age. Fancy him to put Murray out now.

My worthless predictions for the semis:

Nadal v Federer
Berdych v Djokovic

Ivanovic v Li Na
Halep v Azarenka

Nobody Soup

I still fancy Murray to beat federer. In more recent encounters Murray just looks the better player, I haven't seen fed this year though but he always looks awesome when he's winning, he's been like that every slam for the last 3 years and only won wimbledon.

Mr_Simnock

William Hill gives Fed an edge against Murray which I disagree but the rest bar the Ferrer odds I pretty much agree with. Very tempted to back Murray for the win along with Djok in 4 or maybe 5 to win. I know Nadal won over Nishikori in straight sets but I wouldn't have expected 7-6, 7-5, 7-6 anyine see the match? can we read anything into that or was it just a sloppy Nadal against a slightly on for Nishi?

Cleaners From Venus

Worth a couple of quid on Radwanska, I think.

Mr_Simnock

My word just spotted that myself 4-1 for Aggy, are they for real?

Oooh Aggy (hold on why does she have plastic legs in that image?)

rjd2

Quote from: Cleaners From Venus on January 20, 2014, 08:10:07 PM
Worth a couple of quid on Radwanska, I think.

Azarenka won her last 14 games at the Australian Open and is playing really well. Aggie had to work hard last week and was lucky Pavlyuchenkos crappy fitness let her down. I backed Pavly at 4/1 pre match so was fuming with her.

Although supposedly she played quite well yesterday.

head to head is brutal also for Aggie, Azarenka has won their last 8 matches, and the last six were straight sets.

http://www.wtatennis.com/head2head/player1/11289/player2/11530/title/victoria-azarenka/title/agnieszka-radwanska

Don't let me stop you though, Aggy has to beat her sometime!

Nishikori played well and is a top 16 player but despite the sets been tight Nadal was always in control when it mattered. Praying that Dimitrov pushes him and makes it competitive, men side has been so dull so far.

Mr_Simnock

Currently at one set all it looks like the Djok-Stan match is going good so far. Wonder if this is Stans time to get one over Djok in a slam?

selectivememory

Yes! Come on Stan!

Just tuned in but this looks good. About time he did it, he's improved so much over the last year, and if he gets through this I'd fancy him to beat Berdych. So long as Nadal doesn't make the final he'd have a genuine shot at the title.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Djokovic is superhuman.

selectivememory

Big hold there for Stan. Soaking up the pressure very well.

selectivememory

Another 5-setter between this two then. I hope Stan can win this one, he must be sick of coming up against Djokovic.

Mr_Simnock

Come on Stan, don't let another one slip by finish this off in 5

selectivememory

Djokovic just always finds a way out of these situations when his opponent isn't Nadal or Murray.

Cleaners From Venus

What a hold. C'mon Stan!

selectivememory

Heh. I'd dismissed his chances as soon as Djokovic broke in the final set but Stan is digging deep here. I'd love for him to win.

He's doing really well but it's definitely Djokovic dictating the match now.

But another big hold for him!

Cleaners From Venus

Average time Djoko service game: 30 seconds. Average time Stan service game: 2.5 hours.

But, he's still in there!

Mr_Simnock

Great to see Stan break straight back, now leads 4-3 final set

selectivememory

If he can hold to go 5-4 up, then perhaps Djokovic will feel the pressure and he'll have a chance.

selectivememory

And he does it! Now then...

selectivememory

Quote from: selectivememory on January 21, 2014, 11:52:09 AM
If he can hold to go 5-4 up, then perhaps Djokovic will feel the pressure and he'll have a chance.

lol. Nevermind.

Cleaners From Venus

Yeah, hoping for Djoko to bottle it is a little ambitious!

Mr_Simnock

But its not crazy to think stan could out play him for two games in a row

Cleaners From Venus

Bloody hell, God. Get your priorities right.

Deanjam

Nothing in tennis more annoying than rain delays in a stadium with a roof.

Mr_Simnock