Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,310
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:27:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Thanks, Computer! - Moms

Started by BakedMints, January 04, 2014, 12:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

Chriddof

Didn't watch the full video, but after skipping through it, seeing some footage of an actress genuinely reduced to tears, and reading some vile comments, I don't think I want to.

BritishHobo

Yes I'd quite like to retract my earlier intrigue-ment, if I could. Somewhere around the time that the man dressed as a teenage boy laughed at the deaf woman's inability to speak, I remembered I had an appointment to hurl myself off of the end of a pier.

Blumf

At first I thought it'd be like some Tom Green thing, but then I remembered, Tom Green has talent and an idea about comedy.

Urinal Cake

I skipped around a bit it seems like 15 minutes of 'Your mom' jokes railing not at just the characters but the 'actresses' as well.

I blame Ricky Gervais.

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 05, 2014, 11:51:16 PM
Yes I'd quite like to retract my earlier intrigue-ment, if I could. Somewhere around the time that the man dressed as a teenage boy laughed at the deaf woman's inability to speak, I remembered I had an appointment to hurl myself off of the end of a pier.

You know, I'm generally conflicted about people posting shameless self-promotion on CaB with practically their first and only post.
But you've shared this, so you've opened yourself to criticism, so yeah, what he said. I hate this. Just saying crude shit isn't funny on it's own. And it's not even clever crude shit. It is just "Your Mum" jokes. You need a bit of wit and delivery, and some clever fucking writing to go with it. And if it's just a tidal wave of that and nothing else, it's not hugely funny. Any teenager could make this video. What does it bring to the table?

And the fact that you are making fun of that deaf woman is totally reprehensible and misguided.

I don't know. I'd forgive this stuff if it made me laugh or smile, but it just left me sitting stoney-faced and hating everyone involved, unfortunately.

(If this isn't yours, then I don't know why you posted it here without any context.)

BritishHobo

I'm completely with you there - I automatically feel a little bit of goodwill to anyone doing something like this, perhaps because I anticipate that by doing it they're opening themselves up to an awful lot of raw, unfiltered negativity. So I typically like to fling a little bit of positivity their way, even if I'm not that keen on the finished product.

But there was something relentless about this, something horribly mean-spirited. So despite my initial attempt to show some interest (albeit with confusion at the video's concept), I just... I couldn't.

The video's description, about the routine crossing over from conceit to reality, had me expecting a bit of improvisation gone out of control in an entertaining way, some comedic idea taken on a flight of fancy that breaks the fourth wall and spirals out of control. Not a man dressed as a teenager insulting some characters based on the look of the actresses, before then insulting the actresses based on the look of the actresses.

Is it meant to be ironic? Are you meant to be above the cruelty? I don't believe you actually made the woman cry, or even that they all went away angry and offended. If so then, much funnier things could be done with the idea than simply having the boys spout witless insults. If not, and the whole conceit was to improvise insults at some actresses based on their looks... well then.

chocky909

Slightly more creative and funny than hiring prostitutes and then abusing them on video.

Urinal Cake

Who am I kidding? This will get 100k views. Fucking Internet.

BakedMints

Quote from: Bored of Canada on January 06, 2014, 12:17:40 AM
(If this isn't yours, then I don't know why you posted it here without any context.)

It isn't mine. I think it's an interesting comedy thing and wanted to know what CaB thought about it.

mcbpete

Isn't one of the guys the actor who does the 'Million Dollar Extreme' thing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yFhR1fKWG0
There's a definite Tom Green vibe from this one he's done - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14jqZ-bVx3c

syntaxerror

Quote from: BakedMints on January 06, 2014, 06:23:11 PM
It isn't mine. I think it's an interesting comedy thing and wanted to know what CaB thought about it.

I can't speak for everyone, but we all think its shit.

Blinder Data

Yep, I got as far as 'DEAF ACTRESS' flashing on the screen.

If you're going to invite a bunch of people from the internet for a comedy skit that basically makes them look like idiots... I was gonna suggest a way of making that idea somehow more inclusive, warm and palatable but actually, I don't think I can.

BakedMints

Quote from: mcbpete on January 07, 2014, 05:46:13 PM
Isn't one of the guys the actor who does the 'Million Dollar Extreme' thing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yFhR1fKWG0
There's a definite Tom Green vibe from this one he's done - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14jqZ-bVx3c
He's the same guy.

Quote from: syntaxerror on January 07, 2014, 05:57:13 PM
I can't speak for everyone, but we all think its shit.
Yeah it seems like you guys didn't like it.

Quote from: mcbpete on January 07, 2014, 05:46:13 PM

I watched that last one and I thought it worked considerably better. It is interesting just how culturally pervasive that Tim and Eric style odd and clunky edits thing goes. But yeah, I actually didn't mind that second one. These vapid hipsters are an easy target but the main guy seems likeable and smart. The edit leaves his accomplice just asking people about sex and being witless, but yeah, I liked it.

I'm not sure what seperates it in my mind from the other video. The original one was pretty nasty and wasn't funny and just had your mum jokes, and had seemingly hired a bunch of random actors, possibly who don't get a lot of work and make fun of them. This new one, he just interviews them on the street, avoids being crude just for crudeness sake, the people can walk away or defend themselves, and it's also really just light teasing as opposed to outright abuse. I'm definitely hypocritical but yeah, that one works better than the OP.