Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:09:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Review with Forrest MacNeil. (Andy Daly's New Show)

Started by Bored of Canada, January 06, 2014, 01:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeyg27

Not that people in this thread need it, but Comedy Central have made every episode so far available for free on Youtube if you want to pester people to watch it.

BeardFaceMan

My favourite thing about this show is in the opening credits, you see a little montage of reviews. One of them is 'Falling Down Stairs' and shows Forrest indeed falling down a huge flight of stairs. And that gets 3 stars. I fucking love that.

Quote from: mikeyg27 on April 25, 2014, 09:46:37 PM
Not that people in this thread need it, but Comedy Central have made every episode so far available for free on Youtube if you want to pester people to watch it.

Ah, great news! Been meaning to finish these off, and that's super simple.
Watching the celebrity sex one, which is great.

I think I've been spoiled by Nathan For You, but honestly, what this show really needs is actual reality. Andy Daly's an incredibly talented improviser. If they actually made him actually review these things and do all this for real, it'd have so much more bite and edge to it. It'd just be so much more compelling.

Because they film it and try to present it much as you would a reality show, or a prank show, and it's banking a lot of it's comedy on naturalistic awkwardness of these situations, but the knowledge that this is all scripted and everyone's just an actor ruins that a bit. They could combine the scripted ones with the real ones. So they could still have the Jessica Saint Clair divorce, but then actually put him in situations where he has to really review certain items. Parts of it can be scripted. But just a little dash of actual reality, and real reactions, and the knowledge that Andy Daly's putting himself through actual hell would just feel so much bolder and unique.

Second season, DALY. YOU CAN GET A SECOND SEASON. GO NUTS WITH IT.

Ant Farm Keyboard

If it were part reality, we'd lose the serialization, which is one of the best things in the show, as he progressively hits rock bottom after his divorce. He's broke, he's responsible for the death of at least one person, he gets a STD, he gets his hopes for love crushed, and apart from the final scene in the latest episode, he hasn't learnt anything.
Besides, how would you react if the racism segment had involved regular people, or if the production actually tried to involve some reality star genuinely willing to have sex with Forrest MacNeill?
Everything being scripted is the condition for the cosmic joke that's being played on the character. He's partly an accomplice to what happens, with his smug belief he's doing a public service, but he's basically the guy who can't catch a break even when the experience is supposed to be easy and pleasant. If the scene was unscripted, Daly would have to try too hard.

But maybe the timed muzzle will be a surprise hit, like the Opti-Grab in The Jerk?

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on April 26, 2014, 01:20:24 PM
If it were part reality, we'd lose the serialization, which is one of the best things in the show, as he progressively hits rock bottom after his divorce. He's broke, he's responsible for the death of at least one person, he gets a STD, he gets his hopes for love crushed, and apart from the final scene in the latest episode, he hasn't learnt anything.
Besides, how would you react if the racism segment had involved regular people, or if the production actually tried to involve some reality star genuinely willing to have sex with Forrest MacNeill?
Everything being scripted is the condition for the cosmic joke that's being played on the character. He's partly an accomplice to what happens, with his smug belief he's doing a public service, but he's basically the guy who can't catch a break even when the experience is supposed to be easy and pleasant. If the scene was unscripted, Daly would have to try too hard.

But maybe the timed muzzle will be a surprise hit, like the Opti-Grab in The Jerk?

Hm. You're right.
But I think the handheld naturalistic shooting style as if it's a reality TV show harms it for me. There's other shows that use that, but the writing and character's don't feel particularly naturalistic to me. It just makes the gags and written jokes seem out of place...But I don't think it'd work if it was shot like a sitcom either.

I'm not sure what it is. Something about it just doesn't ring right for me, I can't quite put my finger on it.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the show, but...yeah...

I agree that its the misjudged tone that has harmed this series the most. For me its the more farcical stuff rubbing against the realistic aspects that jar. It seems like they should pick one or the other. That's not to say the script has been great; it hasn't.

One example is the road rage review in one episode. Forrest being driven furious by the bloke's graphic descriptions of his wife being shagged was funny stuff. But the confrontation with Comedy Bean Bag favourite Jason Mantzoukas becoming a 'smash off' was just too surreal for the show's universe, I thought. Funny idea in itself, but it clashed.

Again, when he goes to space with his ex-father-in-law, the whole setup and unfortunate death worked great. But his blasé attitude when confronted by the mother-in-law and ex-wife upon landing just jarred again. The character of Macneil is too inconsistant. All through the series he's been a likeable, if sad and incredibly near-sighted individual, pushed by his show to do heinous things. Yet when he reacts in this psychotically uncaring fashion it just punctures the believability.

Full irreverence or a more solid grounding in reality. Either would be preferable than the queasy mix of what we ended up with. No pranks shows either, please.

Quote from: clingfilm portent on April 26, 2014, 03:08:29 PM
I agree that its the misjudged tone that has harmed this series the most. For me its the more farcical stuff rubbing against the realistic aspects that jar. It seems like they should pick one or the other. That's not to say the script has been great; it hasn't.

One example is the road rage review in one episode. Forrest being driven furious by the bloke's graphic descriptions of his wife being shagged was funny stuff. But the confrontation with Comedy Bean Bag favourite Jason Mantzoukas becoming a 'smash off' was just too surreal for the show's universe, I thought. Funny idea in itself, but it clashed.

Again, when he goes to space with his ex-father-in-law, the whole setup and unfortunate death worked great. But his blasé attitude when confronted by the mother-in-law and ex-wife upon landing just jarred again. The character of Macneil is too inconsistant. All through the series he's been a likeable, if sad and incredibly near-sighted individual, pushed by his show to do heinous things. Yet when he reacts in this psychotically uncaring fashion it just punctures the believability.

Full irreverence or a more solid grounding in reality. Either would be preferable than the queasy mix of what we ended up with. No pranks shows either, please.

I think you're right. I was struggling to figure out what it was that wasn't quite working for me, but I think what you suggest is correct.
I've gone 180 on my prank show idea. Bad idea.

Moribunderast

Quote from: Bored of Canada on April 26, 2014, 03:53:44 PM
I've gone 180 on my prank show idea. Bad idea.

I really want to see Daly do a prank show now. Something like this - This is Andy Does It?

Thought Maria Thayer was superb in the latest episode. It was nice to see her get to play a looser character after usually being the 'straight' foil in Eagleheart.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Yeah, she was the star of the episode for me.
I don't think she's comfortable with improv (next to Brett Gelman or Chris Elliott, she mostly reduced to giggling), as she's more of a classically trained actress, but she's great when it comes to inhabit even a barely drawn character. She was able to suggest that Susie had unresolved daddy issues that used Chris as a surrogate, and she killed it in Review as this woman whose comely spontaneity actually derived from a deep problem of immaturity, gradually revealed.

You have no idea how happy I am that nobody has tried so far to feature Thayer in the "PHWOARR!!" thread, next to the dozens of 1980s soap opera actresses or Argos catalogue nightgown models that have plagued the pages lately.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Daly about season 1:

http://www.vulture.com/2014/04/andy-daly-review-first-season-interview.html

It's one more confirmation that the show is about the misguided attempts from the character to do something he assumes as being public service, and getting involved systematically in awful situations that would logically break him.

I don't mind that the universe not realistic. Nobody notices the cameras when MacNeil does his prank against his 8th grade nemesis in the middle of a college course. So, the other characters aren't supposed to have much depth or be believable. They're here to create his worst nightmares.

I loved the backstory that Daly revealed bout MacNeil. His smugness  and the clips framed in his office were good hints he was a film reviewer, but the disgrace explains a lot about his will to put a brave face for his experiments.

kalloy

Loved the tie-in with acting Irish being so like having a brain tumour. Great third act seen through that lens.

Tairy_Green

Season finale was a beautiful culmination of everything so far.

The first review was possibly the cruellest so far, but MacNeil's character redeemed himself through some genuine guilt, which built into the hilarious pathos of the rest of the episode.

I've loved this series; in equal parts innovative (yes, it's a remake, in which case it's the format they've nicked which is innovative) and funny, with surprising pathos.

The inclusion of an ongoing narrative was a masterstroke, and has given me investment in MacNeil beyond just being a foil for Daly.

Hope this comes back for a second season.

Billy Brown

Daly tweeted last night to say that a second season is currently in the balance and that letting Comedy Central know on Twitter that there's demand for it could make a big difference.

Small Man Big Horse

Just caught up with the final two episodes and really loved both. The fact that both episodes were fairly positive experiences for Forrest is probably a big part of it, at one point I was hoping they'd psychologically destroy him completely, but am glad it actually went out on a happy / hopeful note. The big old softie that I am. Though I've no issue with the above happening if a second series is granted.

During the show's run there's been occasional times where a segment hasn't quite worked for me, or the odd joke has seemed a bit out of place, but as a whole I think it's a pretty damn impressive beast, extremely tight and very very funny, and something that's been a joy to watch each week, and I hope twitter / youtube hits persuade Comedy Central to give it a second year.

hedgehog90

My ISP (Plusnet) has told me that I'm possibly in trouble for 'sharing' (ie, downloading) this particular file:
www.Torrenting.com - Review.With.Forrest.MacNeil.S01E05.HDTV.x264-BATV
Along with 2 episodes of Jersey Shore that I didn't even download myself.

Seems like Viacom have either hired some goons to track us evil-doers down or some opportunist law goons have legally obtained the right to go after us.
Cunts.

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=42614.new#new

Hugh Jass

Quote from: riotinlagos on June 09, 2014, 08:26:11 PM
At least there's a good bit of comedy news today, Review has been renewed!

http://m.deadline.com/2014/06/comedy-central-another-period-idiotsitter-inside-amy-schumer-review-triptank/

Not sure how to feel about this. More Andy Daly on TV is good, and I loved the first season, but it just worked so well as a self-contained story, like a miniseries. So while I am looking forward to new episodes, I'm not sure where they'll go from the ending they've set up.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Hugh Jass on June 10, 2014, 04:09:52 AM
Not sure how to feel about this. More Andy Daly on TV is good, and I loved the first season, but it just worked so well as a self-contained story, like a miniseries. So while I am looking forward to new episodes, I'm not sure where they'll go from the ending they've set up.

I know what you mean, but I'm glad it's coming back, and if it's bad we can all pretend it never happened. Or call it the gas leak year or something.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 07, 2014, 03:07:31 PM
This was another slightly mixed one for me - though I come in to the show with ridiculously high expectations now. And it wasn't as if there wasn't anything bad about the
Spoiler alert
Friendship segment, other than the idea that Gene wasn't suspicious as to why both Carlos and Forrest were suddenly plying him with presents
[close]
. But anyway, the
Spoiler alert
Space Travel
[close]
segment more than made up for it, and whilst I did sort of see it coming
Spoiler alert
(at least when they were on the ship and Fred Willard hadn't strapped himself in) the rest of the piece
[close]
was just beautiful.

I haven't laughed so much in years with that space segment.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 20, 2019, 01:59:59 AM

It was amazing, I really need to start rewatching the show as I miss it so much. And as good as the space section is, when you meet Clovers in season two it hits an all time high.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Andy Daly alluded on Twitter to a possible DVD set of the show a few days ago.

hedgehog90

Haven't seen a comedy series since that comes close to the heights of Review.
Has there ever been another show that derives so much comedy from the masochistic/self destructive behaviour of the protagonist? I mean, apart from half of all sitcoms ever made.
There's a kind of gleefulness in the way it documents every moment of Forrest's misery that makes the show unique, I think.

thraxx

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 20, 2019, 01:59:59 AM

Thanks for reminding me how brilliant that bit is, even amongst all the other astonishingly brilliant bits.

Loved this show so much, can't believe how much trouble I have getting my so called comedy loving pals to invest time in it. See also, Nathan For You. "I watched a few clips on You Tube and it was terrible, poo flavoured ice cream ffs".

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 20, 2019, 09:50:27 AM
It was amazing, I really need to start rewatching the show as I miss it so much. And as good as the space section is, when you meet Clovers in season two it hits an all time high.

I owe you a massive massive apology. I note you post a lot about american comedy and after an initial 'miss' with something you suggested I decidedly ignored anything you said on the subject (not just you, others as well), assuming that the kind of comedy that had names of comedians in the title were going to be crass and obnoxious and not worth my time...(rick and morty etc, nah). At least in this case, and probably in many others, I was wrong. So I send my deepest and sincerest apologies.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: thraxx on April 20, 2019, 11:30:27 AM
Thanks for reminding me how brilliant that bit is, even amongst all the other astonishingly brilliant bits.

Loved this show so much, can't believe how much trouble I have getting my so called comedy loving pals to invest time in it. See also, Nathan For You. "I watched a few clips on You Tube and it was terrible, poo flavoured ice cream ffs".

Hit the nail on the head with that last comment - previously it would be a resounding "nah". QDRPHNC has made some similar suggestions and at least I have been able to hear first hand why the show(s) should be watched. Ended up going to see Neil Hamburger and loving it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 20, 2019, 05:30:26 PM
I owe you a massive massive apology. I note you post a lot about american comedy and after an initial 'miss' with something you suggested I decidedly ignored anything you said on the subject (not just you, others as well), assuming that the kind of comedy that had names of comedians in the title were going to be crass and obnoxious and not worth my time...(rick and morty etc, nah). At least in this case, and probably in many others, I was wrong. So I send my deepest and sincerest apologies.

I'll only accept your apology if you now go and watch Corporate, it's a dark and twisted satire of America and something I'm extremely fond of, so I hope you'll like it. And re: your post above, the whole Nathan For You thing is frustrating because the first episode is the weakest, but it quickly becomes astonishingly great, if you like Review I'm sure you'll really like NFY too.

BlodwynPig

Cheers - will give them a try tonight and if you don't hear back - my apology is retracted ;)

BlodwynPig

The two cops in this turning up all the time in the background (except the one time when Forrest kidnapped one and his new wife ended up marrying him too).