Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:14:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Don't Hug Me I'm Scared

Started by Thomas, January 07, 2014, 09:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

The first one is good, the others owe a bit too much to Look Around You at times.

Twed

Quote from: doppelkorn on November 19, 2017, 09:23:35 PM
My sister sent me #5 and I found it really horrible. Especially when that bird goes, "something's wrong!" when they're singing.
That's what I watch them for. The songs are really good but I find it surprising that people just want to hear a fun song and don't care about the way their world is collapsing around them. That episode in particular captures a bad trip pretty well, IMO.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 20, 2017, 04:21:05 PM
The first one is good, the others owe a bit too much to Look Around You at times.
i thought wonder showzen 

Twed

It's not exactly Twin Peaks but I really like the dark edge to it. The puppets are so wonderfully confused and tortured.

It's a little 12 oz Mouse minus the total irreverence.

itsfredtitmus

The part were the computer and the clock start screeching are actually quite disturbing

DONT TOUCH MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Twed

I love it when everything gets to that nightmarish looping state and the puppets just want it to stop.

Thomas

I like this exchange, from the song about the passage of time and technological progress -

'An old man died.'
'But look, a computer!'

ajsmith2

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 20, 2017, 04:21:05 PM

Whit? no. Can't see that at all.

The 4th and 5th ones are the best imo, catchiest songs, best absurditties. 1 and 2 are good but not quite as good. 6 is alright but it's a meta one. The only misfire is 3, it's just not as good;, reminds me of a mash up of 2 episodes of Rex the Runt (the one with Pam Ayres as a love guru and the one with them burning live chickens to a crisp disgustingly) except worse than both. It's alright though.

It's all about the songs though. They are beyond catchy, they stick in the head like self replicating glue. Look Around You and Wonder Showzen (and indeed most comedy shows ever) never had so much insiduous catchiness.

Phil_A

I find out the other night that there's an episode of the The Amazing World Of Gumball that includes a puppet segment directed by the creators of DHMIS, which possibly ties into the main series. Maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLoCdECeHKo

Consignia

Quote from: Phil_A on November 20, 2017, 11:22:55 PM
I find out the other night that there's an episode of the The Amazing World Of Gumball that includes a puppet segment directed by the creators of DHMIS, which possibly ties into the main series. Maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLoCdECeHKo

Wow, that's brilliant. It's punctuated with bits to take the sting out, but it's still proper Don't Hug Me stuff. All it needs is a full song.

BritishHobo

I think the food one disturbs me most, but it also has by far the catchiest song to me. The stuff about your teeth going grey if you eat 'show-offy foods', and white sauce and aspic and all the boring foods gets to me in a strange way. Makes me think of the best Scarfolk stuff, the sinister side of that kind of boring authority.

græskar

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on November 20, 2017, 05:20:28 PM
The part were the computer and the clock start screeching are actually quite disturbing

DONT TOUCH MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Yeah, that bit sticks in my head as well.

I really liked them and still rewatch them at times. I've never really got through more than three episodes of Wonder Showzen, I like this much better though.

My favourite is the third one probably, the one about love. I like how it captures the sinister nature of society pressuring people to look for "the one" and marry them as quickly as possible under the threat of loneliness, while at the same time mocking the shallowness and condescension of "liberal" messages like "Cause even though we're different, it doesn't make a difference // And we can live in harmunee!".

"Have you ever wondered why we're here?
What's it all about? You've no idea
And everywhere you look, all you see is hatred
And darkness, death and fear
But you know it doesn't have to be
That I hate you, and you hate me
Cause even though we're different, it doesn't make a difference
And we can live in harmunee!"

"And do you ever feel like life's unfair
Cause everybody hates you, and no one cares!"

Keebleman

So not a thread for John Lasseter's victims then?

biggytitbo

Quote from: BritishHobo on November 21, 2017, 04:58:47 AM
I think the food one disturbs me most, but it also has by far the catchiest song to me. The stuff about your teeth going grey if you eat 'show-offy foods', and white sauce and aspic and all the boring foods gets to me in a strange way. Makes me think of the best Scarfolk stuff, the sinister side of that kind of boring authority.

The food one is the most blatant look around you rip off, it's pure Butterfield.

Have to admit though, the songs really get into your brain. Can't stop singing the computer guy one that episode is probably my favourite, beyond the first one.

doppelkorn

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 25, 2017, 09:43:45 PM
The food one is the most blatant look around you rip off, it's pure Butterfield.

What? Butterfield wasn't in LAY.

biggytitbo

Quote from: doppelkorn on November 25, 2017, 10:08:13 PM
What? Butterfield wasn't in LAY.

True, but the style is the same and the whole food sequence in that episode is a complete, well let's call it a 'tribute' to LAY and Butterfield.

Phil_A

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 25, 2017, 10:18:41 PM

True, but the style is the same and the whole food sequence in that episode is a complete, well let's call it a 'tribute' to LAY and Butterfield.

Not really? At a stretch the idea of explaining the body with nonsensical science could be a nod to LAY, but the whole tone, style and direction of the episode is different from it in every other respect.

"Time" is still my favourite I think.

LET'S GO ON A JOURNEY, A JOURNEY THROUGH ALL TIIIIIIIIIIME! TIME THAT'S CHANGING ALL THE TIME, IT'S TIME TO GO TO TIIIIIIIIIIIIIME!

BritishHobo

I fucking forgot about the bit where he touches the computer and the computer goes absolutely fucking shit-furious. That kind of thing REALLY freaks me out. The hateful electronic 'DON'T TOUCH ME!' Makes me shiver.

Digital styles!

Old Nehamkin

alan nagsworth

This isn't as completely insufferable and try-hard as Salad Fingers, but it certainly attracts the same ilk of absolute jive turkey followers.

As it stands, the first one is fairly decent but the rest of it is just fucking boring. Cute characters, twee songs! Then something unpleasant or weird happens! LOL, wtf did I just watch? That's enough internet for today! Nope!

Congratulations, you've taken about 2% of what made Wonder Showzen one of the greatest things that ever existed and stretched it terribly thin.

Phil_A

Apparently there's going to be a TV series of this now, and Conan O'Brian's production company is backing it. Crivens!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkFpNVxzhTs

Pseudopath

Quote from: Phil_A on December 10, 2018, 10:08:46 AM
Apparently there's going to be a TV series of this now, and Conan O'Brian's production company is backing it. Crivens!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkFpNVxzhTs

Yes. I was worried that the show's production might have been affected by Super Deluxe being dissolved, but thankfully it's all going ahead and the pilot episode is being premiered at next year's Sundance Festival. There are some (very non-spoilery) plot details here.