Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:44:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Game of thrones - series 4

Started by Hangthebuggers, January 10, 2014, 06:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmoney

Spoiler alert
Dr. Bashir!!!!!
[close]

greenman

Going from the vague info I'v heard about the book it seems to me that the show Stannis has more of a "true believer" of the Lord of Light if not a complete convert. My totally uninformed guess would be that the reason for this is that he's eventually going to have some kind of break with Melisandre(maybe over his daughter who her and her mum seem to want to sacrifice) and they want that break to cast him in a better light.

NoSleep

He hasn't been a true believer, though. He's just using Melisandre's power and letting her do her little religious bit as a payoff.

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: DJ Solid Snail on July 20, 2014, 03:00:22 PM
On that note, as a telly viewer, what are your impressions of Rhaegar so far? Despite being long-dead, he casts a pretty wide shadow over a lot of the events in the books, but from what I recall he's barely gotten a mention on TV. He was particularly hard done-by by the House of the Undying, which is one of the best chapters in any of the books and should have been GoT's Black Lodge sequence.[nb]Perhaps a lot of the foreshadowing would have been a bit too literal in visual form, but there was still a shitload to work with.[/nb]

Yes, I do think the whole 'reason' for the events in Westeros has not really been fully explored.

I've heard rumours (i'll spoiler it just in case) -
Spoiler alert
That although the show runners have avoided any 'flashbacks' thus far, they may incorporate Brann's 'tree' visions as an acceptable glimpses into the past - thus we me might even see the tower of joy sequences or at least the murder of Ned's brother and Father, thus expanding the 'crazy' Targ idea.
[close]

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: greenman on July 26, 2014, 06:01:41 PM
Going from the vague info I'v heard about the book it seems to me that the show Stannis has more of a "true believer" of the Lord of Light if not a complete convert. My totally uninformed guess would be that the reason for this is that he's eventually going to have some kind of break with Melisandre(maybe over his daughter who her and her mum seem to want to sacrifice) and they want that break to cast him in a better light.

Without spoiling too much, up to now the showrunners have slightly misrepresented Stannis as vaguely incompetent and easily persuaded, whereas in the books he is much more confident and just.

Jijifranko

Quote from: gmoney on July 26, 2014, 08:32:31 AM
Spoiler alert
Dr. Bashir!!!!!
[close]

I wonder if Benioff and Weiss were reading the ASOIAF forums before they made that choice. The forum members had been suggesting him for
Spoiler alert
Doran Martell
[close]
for ages.

greenman

Quote from: NoSleep on July 26, 2014, 07:04:48 PM
He hasn't been a true believer, though. He's just using Melisandre's power and letting her do her little religious bit as a payoff.

You could well be right in the end but I do think the show has tried to lead us into believing that whilst he's not a religious zombie on the level of Melisandre's other followers there is some degree of belief from him not just in her power but in her purpose. That scene with him strangling her then looking into the fire(great performance from Dillane there) followed by the shift in interest to the wall are what I'd take as signs of this.

Honestly for me that view makes Stannis somewhat more likeble, the idea that he's fighting for what he views as a higher purpose rather than pragmatically trying to become King.

greenman

If its not too off topic(there seems room for some though given how long the wait is) I was re reading The Book of the New Sun again recently and GoT success did have me wondering whether someone might actually try and adapt it for TV or indeed whether it should be adapted.

On the face of it you've got a lot of rather GoT like material albeit in a sci fi disguised as fantasy setting and a narrative that's actually much less divided but you also have a far stranger and arguably more complex universe.

Thomas

Mister Six

Quote from: Hangthebuggers on July 26, 2014, 07:13:39 PM
Without spoiling too much, up to now the showrunners have slightly misrepresented Stannis as vaguely incompetent and easily persuaded, whereas in the books he is much more confident and just.

I don't think he comes across as incompetent at all. He seems like a dude who's very good in his element, but who's been blindsided by lust and the possibility of supernatural power, and is going against his own instincts as a leader and warrior. Maybe this element's more prominent in the books, where you get an insight into his thought processes, but I don't think it's missing from the TV screen at all.

Alberon

Technically this is series 5 news, but it's not something to start a new thread with. JJ Murphy has died aged 86 after filming his first scenes as
Spoiler alert
Ser Denys Mallister of the Night's Watch
[close]
[nb]Probably no need to Spoiler that, but better safe than sorry.[/nb].

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-28744169

From other sources it seems he had already shot four days on set, but it was unknown how much he had left. The producers have said they're not recasting his role.

Mister Six

Does he have a big role in the books?

NoSleep

Alberon

I don't think he has a big role in the latest two books. Whether he has any role beyond that no one knows, beyond GRRM obviously.

mook

just noticed this up on iplayer. might be of interest to some.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0249fwp/edinburgh-festivals-2014-george-rr-martin

i've no idea if he talks about stuff that hasn't appeared in the TV shows.

Sam

Quote from: BritishHobo on April 05, 2014, 05:46:14 AM
Just for the record, even though my link itself doesn't correspond to anything specific happening in the plot (beyond a general dislike for Joffrey), the tweets appearing on the page appear to be unchecked and uncensored, so could easily contain spoilers.

Oh, and this bit of comedy from the Red Wedding episode repeatedly gets me. "Fine."

Custard

Sam

Tired.

Whoops, was reading this old thread as I'm a GOT latecomer currently on season 4, but didn't mean to post anything.

Anyway, GOT is good. Bye.

NoSleep

mothman

Yeah, whatever you do don't watch season 5 episode 8, it's literally the worst episode of anything ever.