Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:24:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Game of thrones - series 4

Started by Hangthebuggers, January 10, 2014, 06:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

I'm looking forward to Daenerys turning up with the hope that her relation to someone who was ousted two kings ago will instantly make her Queen, and basically being told to jog on. If you're going with rightful succession, there are plenty of folks should get the the throne before Dany.

NoSleep

Aren't you all forgetting it's up to the Gods?

thraxx

Quote from: phantom_power on February 13, 2014, 03:57:19 PM
But which Gods?

Yeah, the Old Gods, or the New, or the Lord of Light.

Anyway, has it started yet?  Did you really like it?  Is it, is it wicked?

I've spoilered the booky bits.

Oh yes, and Stannis does have a moral code, but he essentially abandons it because it doesn't bring the natural justice that he holds so dear: he takes a darker turn. 
Spoiler alert
He admits as much in the books anyway.
[close]
I think that it will ultimately result in his end as it has for every other major character that abandons their moral path (Ned, Robb).  Anyway, there is enough doubt over whether Melisandre really does have magic powers and that it seems probable that if she does, they ain't all that.  She seems to me to be more the Derren Brown of Westeros.  Or should that be Derren Red?

As for Khal Drogo, he was a big badass brute,
Spoiler alert
but he is actually shown (in the books anyway), to be fairly loving, respectful and warm to Daenerys when it comes down to it, not at all like he was in the series.
[close]

As with regards to what will happen Martin it seems just can't bring himself to decide. 
Spoiler alert
With every book
[close]
he brings in another power, another character another sub-plot that ties itself to the future of Westeros, and then he just parks it only to be revisited occasionally. 
Spoiler alert
Not a single element of the story has yet been resolved and we're nearly 5000 pages in. 
[close]
I just can't see how he can bring it back credibly from here without another 5 books, unless he chooses some crummy deus ex machina to finish it all off.  It's part of what makes the story so great and swimming with intrigue and complexity, but also fucking annoying when you have to wait for him to bring out the next bit.  I reckon he will die before he does - the fat gnome.

Fry

The Lord of Light (rezzin' fools) and the Old gods (Direwolf pals/Basically all the weird shit up north like the trees and stuff and monsters) are the gods that have been shown to have any power, right? Seven ain't done shit.

Mister Six

Has the Drowned God done anything for Theon's dad so far? Other than giving him licence to be a complete shit to everyone.

And what about the shape-changing assassin or the crazy wizards in Qarth? Did they have any religious allegiances? I can't remember...

NoSleep

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: Mister Six on February 13, 2014, 04:29:10 PM
Has the Drowned God done anything for Theon's dad so far? Other than giving him licence to be a complete shit to everyone.

And what about the shape-changing assassin or the crazy wizards in Qarth? Did they have any religious allegiances? I can't remember...

Without spoiling anything, later on an agent of the drowned god meets up with a couple of warlocks from Qarth. Not telling you who or when or what happens though.
Spoiler alert
Not saying 'owt.
[close]

mothman

phes

it looks nice but that is one shit trailer

character: "If you want justice... *cut away to something quite unjust* SLAM CUT TO BLACK SILENCE..."...*return to character*: "you've come to the wrong place!".

character: "I will do what queens do..." *cut away to something vaguely queen related* SLAM CUT TO BLACK SILENCE...*return to character*:..."I will rule!"

crap music with annoying, distracting vocals under the dialogue and that annoying metallicy wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh noise that shite jump-fest horrors use.

thraxx

Since when did Bran turn into the lovechild of V for Vendetta and 1st Album Kate bush?

Famous Mortimer

Probably / possibly not worth its own thread, but Peter Dinklage (along with Ryan Kwanten, Danny Pudi, Summer Glau, Jimmi Simpson and others) is in "The Knights Of Badassdom", a comedy about LARPing. It's not bad!

thraxx

I've started watching the series again from the beginning in time for the 4th series, and also reading the books at the same time.

I had forgotten how many rather major differences between the series and the books, both in terms of the characters personalities (
Spoiler alert
Baelish, Cersei, Jaime, Ned, Robert are all either much  more extreme, or much more grey than in the novel
[close]
), and also in terms of plot points (
Spoiler alert
who sent the assassin to kill Bran
[close]
).

DJ Solid Snail

Quote from: thraxx on March 02, 2014, 09:39:38 PM
...and also in terms of plot points (
Spoiler alert
who sent the assassin to kill Bran
[close]
).

Oh, did they change this? From what I remember, in the novel it's heavily implied that it's
Spoiler alert
Joffrey, but Tyrion doesn't rumble him until book two or three... Or hang on, is there a later twist that it's Littlefinger, sparking the war?
[close]
I didn't think they'd ever revealed it in the series...

Mister Six

Quote from: DJ Solid Snail on March 02, 2014, 09:51:51 PM
Oh, did they change this? From what I remember, in the novel it's heavily implied that it's
Spoiler alert
Joffrey, but Tyrion doesn't rumble him until book two or three... Or hang on, is there a later twist that it's Littlefinger, sparking the war?
[close]
I didn't think they'd ever revealed it in the series...

Do you mean
Spoiler alert
Jamie
[close]
? Why would
Spoiler alert
Joffrey send the assassin? He doesn't know what was going on when Bran fell. Then again, Jaime framing Tyrion seems out of character, since Jamie - by all accounts - genuinely seems to love his brother.

If I recall correctly, in the show Tyrion says he sold the knife to Littlefinger, so I've always assumed that Littlefinger was the culprit, as part of his whole 'chaos LOL' philosophy, and the potential profit that might come from an inter-kingdom war. Either that or Cersei, protecting her own while getting rid of her 'embarrassing' sibling. Then again, she'd know that her dad wouldn't let that lie, so who knows? I should probably watch that first season again, as I'm probably misremembering.
[close]

Another little mystery - what actually killed John Arryn, the Hand before Ned? It was an illness, most people think, but could he have been knocked off by Jamie and Cersei (most likely Cersei, if it was poison) because he was getting too close to uncovering the truth about their relationship? Was that ever stated outright?

NoSleep

I think his symptoms were described as in line with the effects a certain poison and that this may have come via Grandmeister Pycelle (Ned and Varys conversation IIRC).

thraxx

In the novel it's very heavily implied that
Spoiler alert
Joffrey
[close]
sent the assassin to kill Bran, I think it's during
Spoiler alert
Tyrion's wedding feast to Sansa
[close]
.  In the series 1 in episode 2 or 3 J
Spoiler alert
aime admits to doing it in a conversation with Cersei
[close]

I don't think we've got that far in the series but in the book doesn't it turn out that
Spoiler alert
Lysa Tully poisons
[close]
Jon Arryn, with the encouragement of
Spoiler alert
Baelish
[close]
Spoiler alert
She
[close]
blurts it out just before
Spoiler alert
Baelish pushes her through the moon window.
[close]

Mister Six

But again,
Spoiler alert
why would Joffrey send the assassin to kill Bran?
[close]
He has no motive at that point. Unless he knows that Jamie and Cersei were fucking in the attic, but that seems unlikely?

NoSleep

Joffrey doesn't even get a hint about his mother and uncle until later, when Robb Stark and Stannis Baratheon are both broadcasting that claim.

DJ Solid Snail

Quote from: Mister Six on March 06, 2014, 04:17:41 AM
But again,
Spoiler alert
why would Joffrey send the assassin to kill Bran?
[close]
He has no motive at that point. Unless he knows that Jamie and Cersei were fucking in the attic, but that seems unlikely?

Spoiler alert
He overhears King Robert saying in private that Bran would be better off dead than a cripple, so Joff nicks a dagger from the King's stash and hires some random bloke to kill him, to impress his dad basically. Or at least this is Tyrion's conclusion a couple of books later, after hearing Joff say he's "no stranger to Valyrian steel." He even cheekily alludes to it publicly, which gets Joff flustered, so I think it's safe to assume he's on the money.
[close]

Mister Six

Ah, I see. That's a bit more contrived than I would like. Cersei doing it to cover her own back makes more sense, but I suppose it makes her a bit less sympathetic.

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: Mister Six on March 03, 2014, 04:13:16 PM
Another little mystery - what actually killed John Arryn, the Hand before Ned? It was an illness, most people think, but could he have been knocked off by Jamie and Cersei (most likely Cersei, if it was poison) because he was getting too close to uncovering the truth about their relationship? Was that ever stated outright?

In the series... Not yet. I have a hunch we'll get plenty of clues this season.

BritishHobo

It's nice to see
Spoiler alert
Iwan Rheon
[close]
out and about.

That trailer's made me realize that I've literally no idea what's going on with Daenerys, so hard do I find it to engage. She's in some sort of desert city, again, and there's some shady people plotting against her, again, and she's still ludicrously far from ever reaching Westeros, still.

I don't know why I feel the need to moan. I fucking love this show. Just gotten ahold of the season 3 boxsets and looking forward to doing a little hibernation once my coursework's finished, to listen to all of the commentaries. There's one with Nicolaj Coster-Waldau and Gwendoline Christie, one on the Red Wedding episode with Michelle Fairley and Richard Madden, and Iwan Rheon's on one of them. Lovely.

NoSleep

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 10, 2014, 03:22:02 AM
It's nice to see
Spoiler alert
Iwan Rheon
[close]
out and about.

That trailer's made me realize that I've literally no idea what's going on with Daenerys, so hard do I find it to engage. She's in some sort of desert city, again, and there's some shady people plotting against her, again, and she's still ludicrously far from ever reaching Westeros, still.

I thought the first trailer depicted the shadow of a dragon flying over King's Landing?

Mister Six

Quote from: NoSleep on March 10, 2014, 09:12:46 AM
I thought the first trailer depicted the shadow of a dragon flying over King's Landing?

That'll be one of Bran's or Dany's prophetic dreams, I reckon. I fully expect another two seasons of Dany trudging about and being imperious, minimum

NoSleep

Have they ever shown one of Dany's dreams? She's mentioned them, but I can't recall seeing one, as we have with Bran's. Apart from her dreamlike episode in that tower.