Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:47:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'Pataphysics

Started by Gazeuse, August 12, 2004, 09:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Almost Yearly

Don't be absurd.

There's a Ralph on page 1 if you need it Brutus.

JesusAndYourBush

How does the existance of the apostrophe stop you making a pun?

Gazeuse

Quote from: "Brutus Beefcake"Then wouldn't it be anti-'pataphysical to say it isn't a religion?

Yes and no.

From The Inaugral Harangue pronounced on the 1st Décervelage of the year LXVI P.E. by His Magnificence The Vice-Curator-Founder of The College Of 'Pataphysics...

"The word college, does that not imply education? Education, does that not imply usefulness, or the prescence of utility?Utility, is that not seriousness? And the word serious, is that not antipataphysical? These terms are all equivalent. And it would be too easy to retort that nothing can be antipataphysical, since everything, and beyond, is pataphysical...The seriousness of God and of men, the usefulness of services and works, the gravity and weight of teachings and systems are antipataphysical only because they know neither how to proclaim themselves to be, nor how to want to be, pataphysical: as for their being it, they cannot do otherwise."

"The College is not a Church. It does not have to conquer the greatest number of"souls."

Gazeuse

Quote from: "JesusAndYourBush"How does the existance of the apostrophe stop you making a pun?

From Wikipedia...

"Jarry mandated the inclusion of the apostrophe in the orthography "to avoid a simple pun," the pun possibly being patte à physique (leg of physics), as interpreted by Jarry scholars Keith Beaumont and Roger Shattuck, or possibly pas ta physique (not your physics). Another hypothesis is "Pâte à physique" (physics dough)."

Brutus Beefcake

There's a college for this shit? Fucking hell.

Gazeuse

Quote from: "Brutus Beefcake"There's a college for this shit? Fucking hell.

"The human species being composed only of patapysicians, the College of 'Pataphysics distinguishes those who do not know themselves to be from those who know full well they are."

Article 3-1 from the Statates of the College of 'Pataphysics.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: "Gazeuse"
Quote from: "JesusAndYourBush"How does the existance of the apostrophe stop you making a pun?

From Wikipedia...

"Jarry mandated the inclusion of the apostrophe in the orthography "to avoid a simple pun," the pun possibly being patte à physique (leg of physics), as interpreted by Jarry scholars Keith Beaumont and Roger Shattuck, or possibly pas ta physique (not your physics). Another hypothesis is "Pâte à physique" (physics dough)."
Yeah I read that to find out what the pun actually was, before I posted.  What I meant was you can still make a pun with it, regardless of whether theres an apostrophe or not.

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"
Discordianism is a ... religion disguised as a joke disguised as a religion disguised as a joke.

Most of the Discordians I've known seem understand that. Well you'd have to, wouldn't you? As a Discordian I mean.

Almost Yearly

Nah Wikipedia's corrected me since then. It has to start with joke. Elaborate joke in fact. Anyone who can't recognise the core elaborate joke nature of things must be ... what's that Whore phrase ... mentally ill? Of course, the Great Elaborate Joke frequently appears to be in rather poor taste, whereas 'Pataphysics appears to be in the best possible. Or not. IIII started a joooke, that started the whooole worrrld cryiiiing. ♪ ♫  Go bed Yearly.

Quote from: "Gazeuse"
Quote from: "Brutus Beefcake"There's a college for this shit? Fucking hell.
"The human species being composed only of patapysicians, the College of 'Pataphysics distinguishes those who do not know themselves to be from those who know full well they are."
Ooh, he won't like that up 'im.

Lord Poo-Bah Or Whatever Gazeuse XXIII ... perhaps you can consult the writings for me. Even if this is not a religion, I being of flaky mind and in definite need of saving am keen to approach it as one, and to that end is there no emblem I might wear to denote my 'Pataphysicality? (College tie, bit of red wool, daffodil up the arse, I dunno I'll cling to anything.)

Dusty Gozongas

I think this might be a pertinent time to rest my case m'lud.

[fx] a cacophony of cackles, thuds and twanged rules [/fx]

The court will now rise and throw apples at Eris if it dares.

Gazeuse

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"Lord Poo-Bah Or Whatever Gazeuse XXIII

Alas, I feel that I must study 'Pataphysics much more before I become even an Auditor of the College, let alone aspire to a higher order such as (Deep intake of breath) Proveditor, Satrap or Regent.

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"perhaps you can consult the writings for me. Even if this is not a religion, I being of flaky mind and in definite need of saving am keen to approach it as one, and to that end is there no emblem I might wear to denote my 'Pataphysicality? (College tie, bit of red wool, daffodil up the arse, I dunno I'll cling to anything.)

This is the gidoulle which is the spiral umbilicus as it appears on Pére Ubu's belly in Jarry's woodcuts...

...This is the 'Pataphysical emblem.

butnut

Still Not George

'Pataphysics - like Mornington Crescent, but with philosophy.

Ciarán

There's something really quite sweet about that Social Behaviour of Aircraft page. And the 'Micturation Trails' pic is lovely. Cheers for that!

Gazeuse

Happy Archaeopteryxmas 135 E.P. to one and all!!!

hoverdonkey

Hell's teeth. This thread - and associated links - has got me through an hour of my late shift. So thanks for that at least.

Bogey

It should be over in General Bollocks though, surely.

Vitalstatistix

Heh. Yeah this thread is ace. I'm a sucker for stuff like this.

More please!