Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:44:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Yet another help me identify the band thread.

Started by thraxx, January 14, 2014, 03:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thraxx

On some forum or another (can't remember which one, not this one), someone sent me a link to a Birmingham based shoegaze band from the late 80s early 90s, then my computer got nicked and I'm left with no trace of how to find out who they were.  I think there was 2 or three words in the name of the group, and I think that they are fairly low key band as I love that time of music and remember being shocked that they had got under my radar.  They sounded like first album Verve, as I recall.

That's all I have to go on.  Grateful if anyone can help me out.  There's a reacharound in it for whoever can help me track down who it was.

Absorb the anus burn

Ned's Atomic Dustbin? Not really pure shoegaze, but close and I saw Swervedriver open for them many moons ago.

Cleaners From Venus

Off the top of my head every prominent shoegazing band of the era, barring MBV, was from the south. Neds or Stuffies, maybe?

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on January 14, 2014, 07:26:31 PM
Ned's Atomic Dustbin? Not really pure shoegaze, but close and I saw Swervedriver open for them many moons ago.

They're fuck all like shoegaze!

Morrison Lard

Quote from: Cleaners From Venus on January 14, 2014, 07:37:43 PM
from the south
Yeah, it seemed to be pretty big in Reading and Oxford.

thraxx, you positive it was a Brum band?

Cleaners From Venus

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on January 14, 2014, 07:42:30 PM
They're fuck all like shoegaze!
It's the Birmingham bit that's the trickster. Ned's are a bit likelier than Ozric Tentacles!

Morrison Lard

Spacemen 3? They were from the west midlands.
More psychadelic than shoegazey I reckon.

Fuck knows mate, I hated shoegazing stuff. Good luck.

Johnny Townmouse

UB40?

Spacemen 3 were from Rugby, Neds from Stourbridge, but I suppose you could be talking about Pram despite the fact they are not 'shoegaze'?

Is it definitely Brum?

holyzombiejesus

There's a list of shoegaze bands on wikipedia but it's a load of baloney.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shoegazing_musicians

Around that time, there were a few bands that tried to push the boundaries a little bit more than the likes of Ride, although that might be classed as dreampop or blisspop? I was thinking of those Bark Psychosis, Moonshake types but it's pointless trying to guess really.

thraxx

Fairly certain it was Birmingham, and it wasn't any of those bands mentioned.  They weren't famous at all, and certainly never jumped on Philip Schofield at a Smash Hits do.

I'll have a look at Bark Psychosis and Moonshake and see if it was them.  Cheers for trying. 

Phil_A

For some reason I immediately thought of House Of Love, but they were London based. And not really shoegazey.

boki

There's the slightest outside chance it could be Little Giant Drug, although they were more late-90s.  Half of Napalm Death are on this, really:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l-EfNOGTp0
(that song's not really a great example of their mostly-shoegazey sound, but it's all that's on YouTube)

bitesize

I immediately thought of Flying Saucer Attack, before remembering they were from Bristol.

This is a helpful post.

Norton Canes

Ocean Colour Scene, in their earlier incarnation?

Oops! Wrong Planet

Quote from: thraxx on January 14, 2014, 08:30:25 PM
Fairly certain it was Birmingham

Bostin?  More AOR than shoegaze though.[nb]I am hilarious[/nb]