Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:19:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kung-Fu Fighting Films

Started by Urinal Cake, January 22, 2014, 07:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urinal Cake

Or martial arts films.

I really like 'Touch of Zen'. It's a beautiful film, the characters are nicely portrayed but the ending feels slipshod. I also like 'Heroes of the East' the first half which is a charming arranged marriage comedy and the second half a nice Chinese vs Japanese martial arts fest.

Also blah blah Drunken Master 2 blah blah Ong-Bak.

phantom_power

My favourite kicky kicky film is Fist of Legend. Beautiful and brutal in equal measures

Famous Mortimer

For ones set in modern times, I adore "Dragons Forever", the Jackie Chan / Sammo Hung / Yuen Biao film. For older ones, there's a really cheesy one called "Ninja In The Dragons Den" that always makes me laugh. One of the great lines:

"What is that, kung fu? Who taught you that shit?"

Urinal Cake

I'd also recommend 'Swordsman in double flag town' though there isn't much martial arts in it (which is part of the point). It's a sort of Asian western. It's quite beautiful.

Also God of Cookery.

phantom_power

American Ninja
The Last Dragon
American Ninja 2

Old Thrashbarg

Famous Mortimer

For head-scratching and laughter, anything by Godfrey Ho with "Ninja" in the title

Benjaminos

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on January 22, 2014, 08:47:59 AM
The Raid

A disproportionately high number of people get stabbed in the throat in The Raid. I'd love to watch it all the way through one day, but I get a bit squeamish after twenty minutes or so :(

Ip Man is pretty good, and obviously anything with Jackie Chan beating people up with everyday household implements.

Drunken Master = teatowel
Police Story somethingorother = photocopier
Rumble in the Bronx = car aerial, pinball machine, fridge, etc.

And of course, Who Am I. Not his best work, but has an excellent scene where he kicks one of his clogs off and up into the air, does a roundhouse, hits it before it lands and boots it into someone's face. Splendid.

Oh, and Crippled Masters is good, if a little tacky and exploitative.

Swoz_MK

Jet Li's Meltdown is absolutely nuts and hilarious throughout, well worth a watch - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VOt5zp6s3Y&html5=1

billtheburger

It was accidentally found out that Riki oh the story of Ricky, in one of those Dark Side of the Moon / Wizard of Oz moments, fits really well over the top of some of the essential mixes from the mid nineties. Pretty much punch for beat.
Here's the full film if you wish.

El Unicornio, mang

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin

Classic 70s Shaw Brothers Kung Fu