Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:35:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Who killed classical music?

Started by Retinend, January 22, 2014, 12:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funcrusher

Quote from: NoSleep on February 06, 2014, 04:29:43 AM
Can I just say that Retinend is a bad judge of the value of music and thank him for making me listen to the entire "For Alto" by Anthony Braxton, which is an amazing album, in contrast to his Alf Garnett musings about it.

He doesn't even seem to have a basic understanding of what it is he's actually listening to - free jazz. He says that the Derek Bailey album he listened to sounded nothing like 'For Alto' - obviously not, since Bailey plays guitar rather than sax, but still playing free improv. He also keeps lumping noise, industrial and Braxton/free music together. William Bennett/Whitehouse and Albert Ayler aren't really the same thing.

Petey Pate

For what's it worth, 'For Alto' is significant for being the first full length album of unaccompanied saxophone.  It didn't really "click" with me when I've listened to it (will have to give it another spin) but on the Braxton tip I recommend this.

NoSleep

Quote from: Funcrusher on February 06, 2014, 07:50:59 AM
He doesn't even seem to have a basic understanding of what it is he's actually listening to - free jazz. He says that the Derek Bailey album he listened to sounded nothing like 'For Alto' - obviously not, since Bailey plays guitar rather than sax, but still playing free improv. He also keeps lumping noise, industrial and Braxton/free music together. William Bennett/Whitehouse and Albert Ayler aren't really the same thing.

"For Alto" isn't even that "free", forging quite a modal path for the most part.

Derek Bailey played Free Improvisation which is distinct from Free Jazz, and definitely isn't Noise.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Retinend on September 04, 2012, 09:47:08 PM
Why do some of the cleverest people listen to nonsense like this and Schoenburg, Hindemith, extreme Noise & Industrial etc?

Sorry to quote this yet again but it's just occurred to me why I know of Hindemith:

Paul Hindemith - Sonata fur Flote und Piano: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X47Fx3zNmZI

Why anyone would take exception to this is absolutely baffling to me. I mean, someone thought there was a cracking tune in there, right?