Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:31:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

photography

Started by Uncle Gripper, August 13, 2004, 02:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slim

A picture of a friend of mine taken in Harlequins, Brighton using my (somewhat limited) digital camera. I like the 'orrible way she looks in this.

Great thread, by the way. I see a lot of talented 'whores around me.

Quote from: "jutl"
Quote from: "Tibetan Singin' Bowl"jutl - Is this the Radcliffe Infirmary in Oxford?.

It is.

Thought so. My dad used to work there. We have a big arty black and white poster of that fountain on the wall of our stairs.

sproggy

It was lovely and sunny first thing this morning on the East coast of Norfick, so I decided to venture into the back garden with a view to cutting the old lawn, when this behemoth landed on the laurel hedge beside me.

I ran indoors, grabbed the digital and managed to capture this image using the supermacro lens.  

Isn't she a beauty?

This is the full uncompressed image, well worth a look in all her splendour.

joFFeman

Quote from: "sproglette"It was lovely and sunny first thing this morning on the East coast of Norfick, so I decided to venture into the back garden with a view to cutting the old lawn, when this behemoth landed on the laurel hedge beside me.

I ran indoors, grabbed the digital and managed to capture this image using the supermacro lens.  

Isn't she a beauty?

(pretty dragonfly image)

ooh you lucky git! i was on a canoe today fishing with my dad, digicam in my pocket, 2 occasions were presented to me to photograph 2 beautiful dragonflies, and i botched them both by being a clumsy oaf of a manchild.

Rats

They're all lovely

this one looks like an andy warhol convention for mushrooms

gazzyk1ns

Snapped a little spider with this cam I've borrowed, it's about a centimeter and a half long in real life, it was balancing on the web it had made between the ceiling and the top of the wall, I just pointed the camera up at it:

Also, some beers...

gazzyk1ns

Another spider, a small-medium sized one this time... hehe the full res. piccy was bordering on being a bit scary...

Capuchin

One of my first digicam shots, this is the Meteora in Central Greece

Uncle Gripper

The spiders are definately coming indoors this weather.....i can never get a good focus on them, maybe have to break out my SLR., all of these were taken with it.

This is one  of an extremely small spider nursery

Some stained glass, from the Burrell Collection

Some stairs from Ardkinglass park, just beside Loch Fyne

]

My mate Dave having a bong, on an island on Loch Lomond.  Amazing day, hired a small boat called 'Mavis' for £36, indulged in a ecstasy tab and just  putt-putt-puttered about.  Best 'e' experience EVER.

Large and dangerous cactii in Gran Canaria

[/url]

Small lizard, taken at same time at cactii pic

[/url]

sproggy

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Also, some beers...

All sadly empty I notice :-(

You've a good eye on you Uncle Gripper.  Loved the cactus shot.

The spider nursery looks like some sort of a record breaking mass free fall parachute jump.

gazzyk1ns

More Suffolk countryside:

Jaffa The Cake

Bought a new digicam a couple of weeks ago, and amidst the hoards of macro shots of flowers, I took these... (click for larger copy)

Took this one on Friday... quite like the effect the TV refresh rate has on the shot...

Nikon Coolpix 4300 (4mp) - Cost me £200 in total with a 256mb card. It's factory reconditioned, so it didn't come in a fancy box.

jutl

All mine were taken with a Fuji 4700. It has 2.4m pixel CCD and is pretty old now.

peet

Repost, out of focus, blah.

splattermac

I'm guessing these are all digital camera shots, would you mind editing in the make and model and megapixels? I'm just interested to see what quality you get for cost.

gazzyk1ns

Mine are all from my mate's Pentax Optio S40, it's 4.0 megapixels and has a 3x optical zoom (and an additional digital one). All of the ones I've uploaded here are resized (halved, mostly...) and then jpeg'd again so it's not an accurate indicator of its best quality. It's fucking brilliant though, like I said, in that first spider pic I posted, the spider was literally 1cm long in real life.

I think I'm going to pick one from that price range when I buy one, considering I'm a completely rubbish photographer I think anything more would be wasted on me.

splattermac

blimey, I was expecting it to be some freakishly large expensive thing, turns out it's less than £200

word of warning, 7dayshop charge import duty from Guernsey (never used to) and they don't reply to your emails - cunts in other words.

gazzyk1ns

Yeah, he got it for exactly £200 from pixmania.com a few months ago. I didn't consider the other costs initially, two sets of rechargeable AAs and their charger were ~£25, and the 128mb SD card he's got in there was the same again. I think he got a good free case from pixmania though.

Some cams in the same class, including the Sony Cybershots, come with their own mobile phone-style li ion battery, but apparently the life is the same or inferior, assuming you buy decent rechargeables, these are 2000mAh.

sproggy

I use an Olympus Camedia C-4000 Zoom.  It's a high spec 4MP camera that you can pick up for about £250 now 'cos it's a superceded model.

Bit bulky and is heavy on the batteries but it's got so many good features I can't complain really.

Almost Yearly

Work's Fuji 6900Z. Quite old now, £600 two/three years ago.

But not on the highest setting, and I compressed it a further 10% here, so it doesn't really go to show.

Borboski

Camera question:

If you wanted to find out what was going on a park, but couldn't be bothered to sit there watching people, is it possible to set up an automatic camera that would take shots, then you could analyse the results later?

Christ that sounds dodgy...

But if you do - what's the name of that? Stop motion? Google puts me towards animation so I don't really know...

Or as anyone heard of some using that for something else? Like in a shopping centre.

Almost Yearly

This one'll do every four seconds. On the lowest quality & size that's 256 x 4 = 17 minutes. You'd be lucky to catch many little girls' crotches in that timeframe.

Jaffa The Cake

If you're going to leave your camera in a park, you're not going to get it back. If you're going to stay with the camera, you may as well press the button yourself. Be sure to wear your cleanest pair of trust-me trousers.

wu be eel

am i the only one who finds it kinda dody taking photos in public? im not particularly dodgy looking bu im scared of someone telling me off :\  do you just assume that they dont mind, or try and be all discreet? i almost feel obliged to ask peoples permission...   pretty sad eh

Jaffa The Cake

in my photo of the DLR zooming past, I don't know who the bloke is in that shot, and I have no idea if he was aware I took the picture. It didn't bother me at all... I'd had quite a lot to drink.

Almost Yearly

Look at this lovely meadow.

Lovely.

Shit camera though.

Mediocre Rich

That would make a very good jigsaw.

terminallyrelaxed

So I'm sat here practically crying with boredom, and what happens? A flipping carnival goes past the end of the road...

It was actually quite difficult getting the shots, with people running up and downt the side of the road etc. Also, the one thing that pisses me off with digital cameras is the delay; mines a really short delay but it still makes a difference, you find yourself pre-empting shots because you know it might take a second or so to take the shot, with mixed results.

Take these lovely ladies; they were all swinging along side-to-side in unison, with the colourful skirts it was quite visually stunning, and I was trying to catch them on the right-hand swing (my side) - I could have tried a few more times but the battery was running low.

Managed a slightly better couple shot, its been cropped...

And heres another slightly-too-late one but I like it....(spot the TR)

Now, which of these tow do you like the most? The first is as is, the second is enhanced in iPhoto...

I know the enhance is a bit basic, but I think its one of those subjects where you want vivd, even garish colour....

fanny splendid

Fuck me!
Half naked women at the end of the road!

If that isn't god saying sorry for waking you up early, then I don't what is!

Nice photos, and I kind of agree with the last one, though a little subtler.

terminallyrelaxed

Thanks Fanny! Yes, iPhoto seems a bit heavy-handed, but then its not really a pro photo editing tool, just handy options for the home user and their personal photo library - I think the pic should be enhanced about half that much, and I have Photostrop if I really want to do it, but not bothered this time; could never quite get the photos I wanted, composition-wise, mostly because of the time-delay, and I wanted one good shot of that last dancer because she was really going for it (see first pic), but I got a bit paranoid about only snapping the half-naked ladies, so with most of them I just took a couple and hoped.
I had also neglected to charge the battery since the London meet, so only had about ten minutes battery life.
There were lots of kids in bright costumes, but couldnt get a good angle for most of them. Heres some more...