Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 12:28:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

photography

Started by Uncle Gripper, August 13, 2004, 02:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sproggy

You city folk with your big city ways, give me the countryside and a nice sunset any day.

Just got back from an evening stroll along the beach and took this looking out across the fields.

Bloody sand flies were out in force and got eaten alive, little bastards.

ClaudiusMaximus

Saturday's sunrise as viewed from South East London, enhanced with the Levels tool because I cocked up the exposure:

Full size image (2.1MB)

Edited to add: camera = Canon PowerShot A80 (4.0 megapixels, 3x optical zoom)

Edited again to add a picture of a 40W spotlight bulb (t=1/2000s,F=8.0,ISO=50):

fanny splendid

J-boy

Not Mine..

Wicked picture..

Kevin Carters..

wu be eel

i lost my camera the other day - it fell out of my pocket as i was cycling along, happily taking photos. after the heartbreak i can now contemplate getting a new one.

some american woman in a wheelchair came up to me, while i was looking in a shop window, and kindly recommended that i get a Nikon 4200. it was £240 in the shop, which is near the top end of my budget, im only a crappy amateur so i dont want anything too poncy or expensive. the one i had was an olympus d-390, so id like something similar, or only a step or two up from there really.

i keep seeing that damn woman around so maybe its an omen :P

anyway, sorry if i should have stared a new thread. any suggestions appreciated

dan p

splattermac

ahh Richard Box's Field installation, I would have liked to have seen that

http://www.richardbox.com/

splattermac

I think might have had this before, great ariel shots from around the world, just use the drop down menus on the left

http://www.yannarthusbertrand.com/yann2/affichage.php

wasp_f15ting

A couple of portraits of my sister... She is the only one in our whole family who can pose properly....

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel / 300D
Lens: Sigma EX 18-75mm / Canon Stock lens / Sigma EX Macro 50mm 1:1

Speed: 1/200
Focal length: 31mm
Apeture: F/6.3
ISO: 400
Cropped and modified in PS CS

Speed: 1/160
Focal length: 25mm
Apeture: F/9
Cropped in PS CS

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/azariah/IMG_2147.jpg?

Speed: 1/125
Focal length: 35mm
Apeture: F/9
Cropped in PS CS

I'll try and edit and load up some of the more scenic stuff.

Timmay

Your sis looks like Aishwarya Rai, the Bollywood actress. And you've bought the same camera I just have!

wasp_f15ting

heh, I am sure she'd apreciate that.

I bought the camera way back in march Timmay, its been ace, after nearly 10,000 shots its still going strong.

I'd love to see some of your shots too.

Rats

jfjeipjfjieppffff!!! WHAT!!! Have you seen how much those things cost? I take it you two are into photography and it's not just for holiday snaps. £600 quids worth! Fuck me. My dad bought a digital camera for about 80 quid but it's rubbish.

hands cold, liver warm

paris on a cloudy day

Timmay

Quote from: "wasp_f15ting"I bought the camera way back in march Timmay, its been ace, after nearly 10,000 shots its still going strong.

I'd love to see some of your shots too.
Only had it a week, so not really had a chance to test it properly yet. But here's a couple testing the macro ability, and the variable (long) shutter speed...

Flower in garden

Colwyn Bay at night

I've just bought a polarising filter for it too, but again the weather's been too shit to test that properly. But from the shots I have taken with it, I'd highly recommend one.

terminallyrelaxed

I like that Colwyn Bay one, its ace. I wish I had decent macro functionality, although if I did I'd probably go round squinting at everything....

wasp_f15ting

Heh, I bought a polarizer too the circular one though, as the lens are all automatic. Here are some pics taken with the polarizer, don't how they'd look without it.

Lens: Sigma EX 18-75, Canon STOCK 18-55mm

Here are some macro pics. I wish I'd bought a ring flash with the lens. The sigma lens is very very sharp as you can see. Its about £220.00 from Jessops. Probably a fair bit cheaper on the net. I think macro photos are the hardest to take, you have to reduce your shutter speed so much to get sufficient lighting, keep a steady hand and have the right ISO speed, otherwise it looks wank. Alot of pics I have taken come out shit because I dont have a better flash. I hope to get a ring flash one of these days, but the buggers cost around £110 !

Lens: Sigma EX Macro 50MM 1:1

Here is a crop to reveal more detail:-

I never knew there was a blue ring around my eye :p crazy stuff  you find with macro photography. I have some pics of mosquitos and other bugs on a microdrive somewhere, will load em up when I get em.

On this thread :D its great. Photos show parts of people's lives, and talent. Lovely stuff people. I would prefer this thread be about peoples OWN photos and not nicking other people's stuff and posting it here. Even when acknowledged it spoils the flow of the photos.

Timmay

Very nice waspy.

Just outta interest, why have you got a Sigma 18-75mm lens, as well as the Canon 18-55mm lens? I'm looking at another lens, but one that doesn't overlap the range I've already got with the 18-55mm - either the Sigma 55-200mm, or the Canon 55-200mm lens. The Canon one is over £150, and I can get the Sigma one for £85, but I've not heard good things about Sigma lenses in general, although your shots do look good.

It's funny that you've posted one of your eye - that was the same thing I tried when I was playing with macroness...

wasp_f15ting

I got that sigma EX due to the quality leap from the canon stock lens. The EX DG range is really good for digital photography, the old ones which are cheaper are wank. There is a vast quantity of Digital lenses available now, from sigma and canon. They have been engineered for our cams. The canon stock lens is a bit wank when I compare the detail they pick up. When I did two macro shots of my eye, one with the 1:1 Macro lens by sigma, and the other with canon the canon pics look less defined and lack definition.  The colours seem far more vibrant on the sigma lenses for some reason.

I'll ask around for what is the best lens for the range your looking at.

For me this will be my next purchase, I should be getting it in november or late october:-

http://www.collegecameras.co.uk/Products.asp?ProductID=109

I am scheduled to go off to New Zeland in feb, I'll get it depending on how that pans out. Not much need for the lens around the area I live in :p

iain

Done with a pinhole jobby made of a wine box and a lense from a mini telescope.  First time I'd made one so I couldnt beleive the bugger worked!
Suppose I could make them into positives (they delelop as back to front negatives) but i quite like the effect so pfff.
Both were taken around the Lace Market in Nottingham.

wasp_f15ting

wow those are ace matey, anyone with photoshop just "invert" lovely stuff :)

iain

cheers =] It was a bit of an arse to-ing and fro-ing after every photo all the way back to the dark room. Very satisfying though once you get a good photo!
With a minute exposure time you can get some interesting effects too i imagine but I havnt had a chance to try it yet.  Cept for one guy that came and stood infront of me talking on his phone on another photo, I decided not to tell him to piss off and i got a ghostly image of him which looked pretty good.

MarmiteCarpenter

Seconded, amazing photos iain. I like your eggs too, Jutl. Er..

Some sheep, up at Badbury Rings

The parent's cat

Taken from the viewpoint at Arne, near Poole, with a Hoya IR filter. No false colour. I was dead chuffed when I bought the Hoya, but it's not been as much fun as I though it would be.

Being silly with a cigarette lighter, long exposure and a towel. I have *lots* of photos like this.

splattermac

excellent but are you a Gregorian monk as the last photo suggests?

wasp_f15ting

wtf... are you a secret devil worshiper or something, dig the robe thing ;)

What camera are you using marmite?

fanny splendid

That cat photo is excellent; dynamic, and full of life.

Timmay

Hey, I like that Mars like effect with the IR pass filter.

<rant>
I was considering one of those, but I figured that a) most of that sort of effect can be done with post-processing, and b) I'm into photography to capture places and things the way they look, at their best like, not for weird effects.

If I want weird effects and arty pictures, I don't need a £600 camera, I've got Paint and Photoshop to do that.
</rant>

<backtrack>
But your weird ones look good, all of yours!
</backtrack>

MarmiteCarpenter

Wow, thanks for the compliments, all. Wasp, they're all taken with a Fuji Finepix S602Z. Its not got the best picture quality, but its a great camera for wierd photos. When it came out a few years ago it had a lot of stuff that was quite funky for a 'prosumer' camera, like the 1cm macro, 1600 ISO and the ability to shoot full frame-rate movies. It's my first proper camera, and I loves it.

The IR filter does capture some stuff you wouldn't normally see. If you want to buy one for a digicam though, make sure you find out how good the IR & UV blocking filters in your camera are. Unfortunately in the S602 they are quite good, and also attached to the CCD in a permanent kind of way, but in other digicams they are rubbish and/or can be removed entirely.

I wanted to do UV so I could photograph all the bee landing-strips on flowers, but not enough UV gets through on my camera :(

Suttonpubcrawl

Inspired by ipodlounge.com which has a "me and my ipod" photo section:

Fun with long exposures and a torch:

A building I think is pretty good:

I'd post a couple more but either they'd be the same resolution as the ones above with nasty resizing effects (you can see the sort of thing clearly on the photo of the building) or they'd have to be links which would just be inconvenient for people.