Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:35:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

War Thunder

Started by Puffin Chunks, January 26, 2014, 08:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puffin Chunks

Anyone else been playing this? It's been around a while and is currently in Beta. Free to play, although there is the micro-transactions side of things, however it definitely isn't pay to win, as I haven't spent a penny and currently have a hangar boasting a Spitfire Mk1 + Mk2, a Beaufort, a Beaufighter and a Hurricane, amongst others.

Basically it's a multiplayer WWII fighter sim. I tend to play exclusively in arcade mode as it's great for just nipping in for 10 minute battles here and there. Graphics look good, and it seems to be fairly balanced in terms of levelling and the opposition it pits you against. Arguably you'll have the most fun when you start and your buzzing around in bi-planes, fighting other people who are just getting going in Bi-Planes.

There are planes from GB, Germany, USA, Russia and Japan, and you can start levelling up in any of them. It's all about picking the right battles, which you'll learn as you go on. It looks great, plays great and you'll be able to play as tanks soon.

Any way, it's great for some free fun, and I've already managed to plough about 30 hours into it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s6YO6wdcVE

I'm still laughing at the YT comment 'I didn't know C3P0 is a game reviewer'. The longer the clip went on the more I was laughing. Oh, God, tears.

The game looks gorgeous, by the way. I'd love to fly a plane and smash into a pig pen.

All my friends keep popping up on Steam playing this constantly. Free to Play games have always just had such a weird stink to them, especially the whiff of Russian Mafia money laundering and grindyness to that stuff like World of Tanks and that. I just imagined this was kind of a crappy game made entirely of micro-transactions at every step and just gave it a wide berth.

But watching the Good Game video, man, it looks bloody pretty and hugely fun! I'm going to have to pick it up.

Quote from: The Boston Crab on January 26, 2014, 11:02:42 PM
I'm still laughing at the YT comment 'I didn't know C3P0 is a game reviewer'. The longer the clip went on the more I was laughing. Oh, God, tears.

The game looks gorgeous, by the way. I'd love to fly a plane and smash into a pig pen.

Hahahaha I love Good Game and that guy, Bajo. One of the much better shows on Television here. I've never heard the C3PO comparison, but I was the exact same way after reading your own comment. It's bizarrely accurate. Right down the weird mannerisms. Glad to see UK people actually link Good Game stuff though!