Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:29:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Deus Ex: Invisible War (Xbox)...

Started by Pinball, February 11, 2004, 09:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinball

is out 5th March. I bought a Radeon 9800 graphics card for the PC costing more than an Xbox console, but I think I'll just buy the Xbox version of the game, given that it seems to have (relatively) shite graphics. Correct decision, or should I go for the PC version??

Vermschneid Mehearties

I've played the demo of it on the xbox, and the controls are really intuitive and the HUD seems to be purpose built. Go Xbox for comfort, or go hardcore with the PC. That seems like the deal.

Or don't buy it at all because general opinion is that it's shite.

That, or don't expect another Deus Ex.. if you don't do that, it's probably quite good.

Vermschneid Mehearties

That's absolute rubbish. Unless you call 'shite' consistently good if underwhelming reviews. It's got between 80-95% nearly everywhere, which is as good a recommendation as any.

Bill Oddie

Stick to the PC version, it's a bloody awful bit of software in its original form so make sure you patch it. If for no other reason, the mouse / keyboard that a PC offers is always going to win with FPS games, and on a 9800 it should run a lot better then on Xbox.

I imported this game months ago and gave it a good couple of hours before giving up in frustration at how shit it was and went back to Starcraft*; I've not bothered patching it again since.

(nice card btw, if a certain game made by Valve ever comes out it'll run a treat on that)

* This game is nearly 400 years old now but it's currently the best game I've ever played, it beats Deus Ex only because of its longevity, replayability and huge tactical depth, though comparing the two isn't really possible.

Anyone who's not played Starcraft should forget about all other games, get yourself at least a 4mhz cpu and 8MB of graphics RAM and get playing.

Purple Tentacle

I just bought System Shock 2 off eBay for £15, mint condition.

Haven't installed it yet (I have to plough through the turgid XIII first or I'll never finish it), but I'm sure once I do you lot won't be hearing from me for a while.

Everybody shouts yaaaaaaaay!!!

monkhouse terror

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"I just bought System Shock 2 off eBay for £15, mint condition.

Very, very, very good man.

Now invest in some clean underpants and you're ready to go.

Does anyone else hate the cover for DX2 by the way? The Denton on the cover looks like a metrosexual.

Incredible Monkey Doctor

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"That's absolute rubbish. Unless you call 'shite' consistently good if underwhelming reviews. It's got between 80-95% nearly everywhere, which is as good a recommendation as any.

Read a review in magazines...  gets good grades. Read a review on the web by normal folks who won't be paid to big up (or down) a game - and it's shite.

Draw your own conclusions.

Purple Tentacle

80% IS a shite review in my book.

Especially when the first game is one of the greatest computer games of all time.

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Especially when the first game is one of the greatest computer games of all time.

Which doesn't bode well for Half Life 2. In a way I'm glad that game was delayed - had it been released in September last year, while hype was at it's highest, everyone would have been disappointed. Now, I'm not expected it to be particularly great, and as a result it'll be better than I had hoped.

Vermschneid Mehearties

The simple fact is, I've played it enough already to know that I need to own it. Still, it's a one-player outing, so i'll just be sitting smugly playing through the game chuckling about how some people were too proud to get it just because it suffered kneejerk bad press from its hardcore following, and then ignored the almost universal appraisal of it.

Plus, I was a bit too broad in my 80-95% comment. I haven't read a review under 84% anywhere. And I've read a lots of reviews. Consistent reviews from all arenas are a good sign. Some amazingly high ones and some shockingly low ones are a worrying sign.

I don't care how much bile you want to spend chuntering about how all reviews are fixed because the industries are sending them special food parcels and medical equipment with the games title on, in almost every example you could think of, good games get good reviews. Bad games get bad reviews. This one has got good reviews. Fig.

terminallyrelaxed

I never bothered to finish Half- Life, but I'll be buying Half Life 2. My crikey its going to e a cracking year. Halo 2. Halo 2!

Halo 2!

Purple Tentacle

I don't want ANYTHING pissing on my sweet sweet treasured memories of Deus Ex thank you very much.

Urgh. Metrosexual Denton.

Fucking console owners spoiling everything.

glitch

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"I just bought System Shock 2 off eBay for £15, mint condition.

Haven't installed it yet (I have to plough through the turgid XIII first or I'll never finish it), but I'm sure once I do you lot won't be hearing from me for a while.

Everybody shouts yaaaaaaaay!!!

System Shock 2 is one of the greatest games ever. EVER.

I found a link somewhere which allows you to downlaod high-res textures and models for the game, which is a real bonus as some of the models are really really ugly. I can dig up the link if people are interested.

That said I still install and play-through System Shock 1 every so often, and that's got hideous graphics and controls. The storyline etc. is just far too good to pass up though.

I wish there'd be a System Shock 3, albeit without Shodan...

Is XIII that bad? I BitTorrented it ages ago and haven't got round to installing it yet... Knights of the Old Republic has been taking up all my gameplaying time at the moment.

Alberon

I played the demo for this and cancelled my import order for it. Speaking as someone who loved the original this game is not aimed at me. It doesn't help that the PC demo was optimised for the XBox.

The game appears to have been simplified to the point of boredom. The constraints of the XBox limit what the game can do and there seems to be an even greater problem in the developers believing XBox gamers are thick.

I got Star Wars:KOTOR and X2: The Threat instead and haven't regretted it. I might get Deus Ex 2 when it's in the bargain bucket.

Dr. Gizmonic

Quote from: "xerodeKnights of the Old Republic has been taking up all my gameplaying time at the moment.

Good Man, best RPG I've played for a very, very long time. Plus, it provided me with the first genuinely unexpected twist I've ever run into in a videogame plot.

And let's face it, who doesn't love HK-47?

Anyway, I've played Deus Ex 2. It's a pirate copy, so the quality can't really be judged effectively by me.

Personally, I was under whelmed. It has some fatal flaws and seems more like a shoddy-but-passable imitation of the original Deus Ex.

Highly disappointing, but I'll still probably buy it.

glitch

Quote from: "Dr. Gizmonic"Good Man, best RPG I've played for a very, very long time. Plus, it provided me with the first genuinely unexpected twist I've ever run into in a videogame plot.

And let's face it, who doesn't love HK-47?

I'd agree on KotOR being the best RPG released for a long time. I loved the plot twist too, especially the way it's subtley signposted all the way through, but never enough to make it really obvious.

I first plated it through as a light-side Jedi, and now replaying as dark. It's surprising how Bastila can actually be more annoying than she was the first time.

I think HK-47 is the first "gimmick" side-character I haven't wanted to kill the developers for introducing. I've been dragging him round all the time, just to hear all the options where he chips in with a snide comment.

Borboski

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"

Plus, I was a bit too broad in my 80-95% comment. I haven't read a review under 84% anywhere. And I've read a lots of reviews.

Geek.

[runs away to put CD collection in alpabetical order, play Baldur's Gate, and ignore girlfriend]

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "xerode"I found a link somewhere which allows you to downlaod high-res textures and models for the game, which is a real bonus as some of the models are really really ugly. I can dig up the link if people are interested

Ooooh yes! Yes yes yes!

I shat my pants last night.

Oh, and XIII isn't shit by any means, it's just not great, and I was expecting great things from it. And David Duchovny was a waste of money.

Borboski

Quote from: "xerode"

I'd agree on KotOR being the best RPG released for a long time. I loved the plot twist too, especially the way it's subtley signposted all the way through, but never enough to make it really obvious.

I first plated it through as a light-side Jedi, and now replaying as dark. It's surprising how Bastila can actually be more annoying than she was the first time.

I think it's absolutely spiffing. Honeslty couldn't see how the first-person ish perspective would work. I would have liked more party members too...

Anyway - I find Bastila rather nice... actually too nice. This is pathetic I know  - but she gives the RFH!!!!!!@@@@@@@@@splat. Do you know you can get her to prance around in her undies if you take off the armour. (dear god)

Mrs Borboski told me to turn the f@cking sound down if i was going to flirt with a computer character last night. For shame...

glitch

Those System Shock links: textures models

If you like SS2, I strongly recommend picking up SS1. I might be able to ISO it and host it somewhere, depending on my net connection when I move at the weekend.

KotOR: but Bastila is so annoying! Chiming in with "you shouldn't have done that, bad boy for using The Force in such a bad manner" all the time even when I was trying to be an überlightside Jedi.

The only things that annoy me about KotOR are the R2D2 clone (who is useless once you leave Taris), the fact you can only have 2 members in your party and the inability to turn any of the other characters to the Dark Side.

I love the fact that your character has skin like Dot Cotton if you make them really really evil though...

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "xerode"Those System Shock links: textures models

If you like SS2, I strongly recommend picking up SS1. I might be able to ISO it and host it somewhere, depending on my net connection when I move at the weekend.

Cheers!

Sadly I am a 56kripple so this cornucopia of delights that is free....everything, this denied to me.

I've been trying to get it on eBay, but it's even more difficult to nail at a decent prince than SS2.

Borboski

Quote from: "xerode"

bad boy

That's just what I'm getting at.

monkhouse terror

Personally I prefer the old models for the SS2 hybrid, midwife etc. Every time you see the 'old' midwife version you will have a nervous breakdown, when you see the new one you go 'Wow! Tits!'... or that might just be me. Plus the new hybrid looks like 'Bub' from Day of the Dead, and I just laugh whenever I see it. The older ones have scary dead eyes... oh dear christ the eyes.

That said SS1 is also fucking brilliant, and much better than any stuff like Call of Duty that gets put out nowadays. Unfortunately it's a bastard getting to run on modern systems.