Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:53:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Can-we/have-we have/had a Will Oldham thread?

Started by hummingofevil, February 04, 2014, 11:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hummingofevil

I'm just listening to the Everly Brothers record he did with Dawn McCarthy and I just can't get past the fact that he is just absolutely perfect.

It would be lot easier if you can find me something of his that I don't like.

Edit: Apart from that Tortoise album which was rubbish.

vrailaine

The first time I heard that shift (the chorus?) in the middle of Nomadic Reverie is still one of my favourite first listen experiences. Not sure if it'd be as amazing if I heard it for the first time now, but it was the moment I realised I was gonna love that album so yeah...

Em, I like him overall, should probably listen to his other stuff a bit more tbh.

holyzombiejesus

Not wishing to be a thread shitter but I've grown quite tired of him. He's one of those people where I get all excited about a new album coming out, rush out and buy it and then play it once and file it away with dozens of his other LPs, never to really be listened to again. I haven't really enjoyed anything he's done (Trembling Bells collaboration aside) since the first couple of BPB LPs. His various Palace incarnations were far better, IMHO, perhaps none so more as the first thing he released (I think), Ohio River Boat Song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYVTkUTHENg&feature=kp

Ha! Just looked in my record collection and I have over 30 LPs/ 12"s by this man! That's not even including the shedloads of 10"s and 7"s that I have (and continue to) shell out for. Why, HZJ, why?

Don_Preston

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 05, 2014, 10:25:00 AM

Ha! Just looked in my record collection and I have over 30 LPs/ 12"s by this man! That's not even including the shedloads of 10"s and 7"s that I have (and continue to) shell out for. Why, HZJ, why?

Hah, I can't boast anything like that but I've amassed a few releases by him and at one point was foolish enough to try and invest in as much of his repertoire as possible. I'm glad I never did, as thos albums I did buy are now untouched at the back of one of my cupboards!