Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,393
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:34:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sparks + Franz Ferdinand = new LP

Started by Absorb the anus burn, February 08, 2014, 12:45:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Absorb the anus burn

Sparks and Franz Ferdinand are making an LP together..

http://www.nme.com/news/franz-ferdinand/75354#9

I wondered what Ron + Russ were planning after 'Two Hands, One Voice'. This sounds interesting, although I'm no great FF fan. Ron says "it sounds like the wreckage of a train crash between the bands".

Don_Preston

I keep my eye on Sparks and every now and then have the urge to bankrupt myself investing in a lot of their albums. They've certainly acquired a cult following and have done more interesting things in the last decade as their glam associates have done in the last ten years of their career. Who knows how this will go. Ron is a fantastic, and hopefully shrewd, songsmith and FF can sound like Talking Heads, The Fall or Wedding Present if they choose to be so it won't be a complete disaster.

Absorb the anus burn

I've got all the Sparks vinyls from Halfnelson through to Angst In My Pants, plus Lil Beethoven & Hello Young Lovers. They are played frequently, and I'd say they are probably my favourite pop band.

Sparks certainly influenced Talking Heads - plus XTC, Devo, Pet Shop Boys, Queen, Brian Eno, Todd Rundgren, 10CC, Jellyfish....... I reckon FF would claim half of these as influences, so this collaboration could be exciting.

Quote from: Don_Preston on February 08, 2014, 01:17:31 AM
I keep my eye on Sparks and every now and then have the urge to bankrupt myself investing in a lot of their albums.

Do it... Bankruptcy is worth it, so long as they don't take away your stereo.

garbed_attic

I hope this is coming out soon. I want new Sparks!

DrGreggles

fit bird

imitationleather

I've got tickets for the gig they're doing at the Troxy. Pretty excited about it as I saw Franz Ferdinand several times years back and they were always entertaining and I've never seen Sparks. My missus has never heard of Sparks, more fool her!

thraxx

Quote from: imitationleather on April 07, 2015, 11:49:24 PM
My missus has never heard of Sparks, more fool her!

More fool her indeed!  It's one of the best songs on Tommy.

MrSerious

I can take or leave FF, really, but I'm still tremendously excited about this. If only because it'll be the first time the Maels have played with a "rock" band since the early 80s.

I'm still getting used to the song, tbh. There's a Sparks demo of it which has been floating around for several years now, and I'm possibly just too used to that version, which isn't as busy-sounding as the album version and is a bit faster.  Still, going by this, and by the other track titles, this is gonna be a belter.

Janie Jones

I like both bands, seen FF a couple of times, seen Sparks 5 times but I think this is really bad. I'm embarrassed by it.

SteveDave

I too have tickets for the Troxy show. Now I'm not sure if I want to go.

MrSerious

So the first "proper" single came out on Monday, and it kinda feels like an immediate Sparks classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac3qj-E4K4M

It's 90% sung by Russell, and they haven't done anything even close to being that radio friendly in years.

I shouldn't avoid giving credit to Franz Ferdinand either. They make a bloody good Sparks backing band.

MrSerious

They're doing a free Edinburgh show on Sunday. Tickets available from the information point at Potterrow. I was able to pick some up just a couple of hours ago so I should imagine some are still available.

I don't think I came back and commented on this album actually. It's ruddy bloody good, actually.

PaulTMA

Got 2 x spare tickets for the Barras tonight if anyone wants them for face value without booking feee (£25 each)