Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:00:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

{Techy} Cheap Apple Mac Repairs

Started by Purple Tentacle, August 15, 2004, 01:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple Tentacle

I'm sorry for starting this thread, but it would appear that ALL Apple owners on the internet are fucking idiots... "Just send it back to Apple, it's only £200!"... I've been googling for an hour and now I want to cry.

The situation: Ms_Tentacle's G4 15" Powerbook's latch is fucked. This appears to be a very common problem..... I SUSPECT that her screen is very very very slightly warped, or the hinge is slightly mis-aligned.  Anyway, that stupid fucking latch won't catch, the lid just pops open. Stupid fucking fragile piece of shit.

Anyway, what I'd like to know is:

1) Does anybody, by any chance, know about this problem and how to repair it, or

2) Where can you recommend for Apple repairs for what must be a tiny problem.

There appears to be nothing wrong with the powerbook at all, no cracks, blemishes, nothing.... just that the right hand side of the screen is about TWO MILLIMETRES higher than the other when closed, and the latch won't latch.

ARGGGGGGGGGHHH!!!

Jet Set Willy

mr rou-rou

how did you get on with bashing it with a hammer, did it fix it?

terminallyrelaxed

I'm having a look around for you Poiple, here's this to be going on with, not too helpful so far but it shows your not alone...

I love my Aluminum Powerbook G4 1.25ghz 15", but I have to say I have had some serious issues with it. Granted, I bought it as a refurb, but the people posting on the Apple discussion boards prove that this isn't an isolated incident.

First, shortly after I purchased it, I had two issues. The first was with the latch not holding the lid shut. The other more serious issue was with uneven illiumination. This issue is quite serious and there are several owners of the 15" AluBook who have had their machines replaced multiple times to no avail. Finally, after the 3rd attempt to fix it, Apple has been giving them a new machine.

Quote've a Al Powerbook 1.25 ghz, it's been really nice. No problem with uneven lighting; however, i did have a latch problem. got that fixed under warranty. the repair was very quick (3-4 days); i live in houston and noticed that their repair facitility was in houston too so that could have been why.

The Mumps

I've got a 15" titanium powerbook. Mine had a slightly warped screen as well when I got it - it's a common problem with some other makes of laptop as well by the way - but I never had a problem with the catch. Anyway, I fixed the warp, and here's how:

Get a small star-shaped screwdriver  and take off the hinge covers on the back.  Underneath are small black screws which control the tension of the hinge. Loosen these off a bit on both sides, get the screen straight, and tighten them up again until the hinge is the right stiffness - not too tight. Replace the covers.

The hinge on the newer aluminium powerbooks is different, but I would imagine a similar procedure could be employed. It's got to be worth a try before sending the thing off, anyway.

terminallyrelaxed

I gather the £200 quote means you don't have Applecare (insurance and maintenance)?

get a quote from these dudes - they were linked from the people I bought my G4 from:

http://www.wefixmacs.net/ - Can't say fairer than that as a URL eh?

terminallyrelaxed

Actually I'd go with Mumps - I've read of many people taking a screwdriver to it but didnt know if you were confident enough for this (no offense).
I've even heard of someone applying gentle pressure in the right direction to the creen, but wouldnt advise this.
I have Take-Apart Manuals for every model of Mac or I can download them again if you need them, I don't think anyone will help you for much less than £100, because its a captive market - I can help you if you want but its not rocket science. There are usually dismatle walk-throughs (with photos or diagrams!) on sites like Macfixit and http://www.xlr8yourmac.com - I know you've probably been there already but maybe not from a take-apart-yourself perspective. Look for things like RAM install how-tos and especially screen-replacement how-tos, these will show you how to dismantle the right bits....

Purple Tentacle

Cheers TR and Mumps, I might have a go with the screwdriver later on when she isn't looking.

It's infuriating, when I put "mac problem repair" into Google I get an endless list of "the latch is broken" x100.

The even more infuriating thing is the vast vast majority of Apple owners who are prepared to spend hundreds of pounds on one very tiny problem.

Oh, and I had a twat-timer set after I posted the thread for the first person to say "Buy a PC / proper computer", so congratulations.

Next on the internet forum predicability show:
Q: I've got a problem with Windows XP.  
A: Get Linux, l@mer!

terminallyrelaxed

hehehe... yes, I know what you mean about those forum guys, but then you'd have to be an enthusiast to spend much time on a manufacturer's forum (shut up).
I will say that in my experience the bulk of people just seem to put up with it - which amazes me as much as the amount they are prepared to spend amazes you...
Its a bit of an embarrassment, the amount of Apple laptop models that have had basic form-factor problems; they haven't changed much in appearance because they tried to adopt the 'clean, simplistic look', early on, developing the technology necessary as they go along like so many other things (I'll just go and tug myself off while muttering 'Innovation!' over and over) - but the embarrasment comes in that in everything else, they seem to have the attitude that if its not absolutely perfect then it won't get released yet, and in my view the sturdiness of these hinges and latches is suspect and makes them far from perfect. They developed a new alloy for the iMac screen stand, don't see why they couldnt have used it for the hinges at least. At least you haven't got one of the ones from a couple of years ago that you had to get a piece of felt or 'screesnaver' to drape over the keyboard before you closed it to avoid getting an imprint of the keys on the screen - hence the gap now between them even when  it is closed properly.

Do you have access to another computer while you take it apart? Its best to be able to look up diagrams etc if you need it....

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"Do you have access to another computer while you take it apart? Its best to be able to look up diagrams etc if you need it....

Yes indeed, I have my PC which I use pretty much all the time anyway, the Apple is Ms_Tentacles, and mine when I want to do graphic/video work, or use to link to mixing desks etc.

If it's just a matter of adjusting the hinges with a screwdriver (like I said, the screen is about 2 mm out on the right hand side) then I HOPE it's not going to be too complicated....... we're going to phone around some local mac repair places (well, Tottenham Court Road) first to see if we can get anything under £50 before I start messing.... if it's a common problem, which it seems to be, then hopefully there's a common solution.  Thanks again you two for giving me those links!

It's insane, the computer is so mind-bogglingly beautiful and well designed, except this one motherfucking fault.... it seems to go back to previous models as well, insanity.

terminallyrelaxed

No worries, I'll have snoop around and see if I can find any walkthroughs of someone who's actually fixed it, or at least a sscreen-replacement one that will show where the relevant screws are - this is really important, as dismantling laptops (and succesfully putting them back together) while not rocket science, should be done carefully and you should leave the screws that don't need touching. Not trying to overdramatize it or put you off though, I reckon you're more than capable without spunking cash on it.
Happy to help too, and of course, heh, I've got the time now, and don't know how long I'll be in London after a couple of weeks from now....

terminallyrelaxed

Powerbook_15"_Take-Apart

Just to confirm Poiple, is it a fairly recent job, like this:

http://jcs.org/images/powerbook.jpg

...which I think it is as for some reason, she hasnt had it that long has she?

Or is it slightly older, a titanium, like this?

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA015761/Hardwares/images/Titanium.jpeg

(note the black keyboard and naff shiny band round the outside)

foxprorawks

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"Just to confirm Poiple, is it a fairly recent job, like this:

...which I think it is as for some reason, she hasnt had it that long has she?

Or is it slightly older, a titanium, like this?

(note the black keyboard and naff shiny band round the outside)

It's amazing, isn't it.  To the untrained eye, those two models look identical.

Purple Tentacle

Haha, yes I think you need to make the second picture a different URL!!!

It's the one with the nice shiny keyboard rather than the black keyboard, the one that was brand new about this time last year. 1Ghz. ALuminium.

Eeek... just looked at that take-apart.... and am now very scared. They really don't like people fucking around with the guts do they?

WHat annoying is that I have absolutely no idea what's wrong.... there are no crack, no rattles, nothing untoward.... just a slightly wonky hinge I think.... I've a horrible feeling that if I opened it up, I wouldn't know what I would be looking for.

terminallyrelaxed

Well I've changed the URL now not that it matters...

Maybe we can meet up and I can have a look at it? Maybe its not worth it, up to you. Anyway, I'm in the chatroom now, so lets discuss it later....

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"
Next on the internet forum predicability show:
Q: I've got a problem with Windows XP.  
A: Get Linux, l@mer!

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/apple/
http://www.ydl.net/

Everyone happy?