Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:48:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Lego Movie

Started by CaledonianGonzo, February 08, 2014, 03:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 10, 2014, 05:34:43 AM
Lego is a load of sellout bullshit and that's before you consider you're seeing a film which is essentially an extended advertisement.

The McDonald's Movie soon everyone. But don't worry it has a really right-on cast of writers who make jokes for it. I really doubted whether a Big Mac could emote effectively but now I know it can. In awe.

A fifteen-year-old child, there.

Replies From View

Lego lost its edge whenever they stopped giving the lego people plain, smiling faces.  They're far too detailed and characterful now, which surely means that they can't have as many emotions projected onto them at playtime.

Sure they used to have moustaches, sunglasses and other minor variations so it wasn't always a plain smile, but they were never like this:

It's that fucking Dreamworks face as well.  Urgh.

Sivead

If it doesn't feature Lego Fabuland not interested. Look how cool the lion was

They even had their own animation I didn't know about voiced by Bernard Cribbins. http://youtube.com/watch?v=keJua4D2Ymg

CaledonianGonzo

By having characters with the heads of animals[nb]in the early eighties[/nb] they lost the magic and wonder and creativity of the Lego I had a child.

How can you project non-elephantine emotions[nb]Such as forgetfulness[/nb] onto the head of an elephant?

Replies From View

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on February 10, 2014, 02:03:43 PM
How can you project non-elephantine emotions[nb]Such as forgetfulness[/nb] onto the head of an elephant?

I bet they do a far more dreadful elephant now.  Far more.

Jack Shaftoe

Fabuland gets
Spoiler alert
two specific references.
[close]

madhair60

I found a friend to go to see this with. :)

Quote from: phantom_power on February 10, 2014, 01:22:09 PM
To twist that round, would Toy Story have been any worse if it had been the same but for real toys in it?

The supporting cast is mainly made up of real toys though... right? Maybe I'm missing the point.

Head Gardener

picked up the first movie for a quid in Age Concern today

Replies From View

Is "Clutch Powers" a euphemism?

His crotch resembles one of those inflating things used to hide paedophiles' erections.

Mister Six

Can I just say that I love that the astronaut character has an authentically cracked helmet and rubbed-off logo?

Well can I?

Will you let me?

Go on.

Please.

CaledonianGonzo

kidsick5000

Quote from: Mister Six on February 10, 2014, 05:58:00 PM
Can I just say that I love that the astronaut character has an authentically cracked helmet and rubbed-off logo?

Well can I?

Will you let me?

Go on.

Please.

the cracked helmet is a huge signifier to me that the makers really care about the project

weekender

Quote from: Mister Six on February 10, 2014, 01:32:44 PM
A fifteen-year-old child, there.

Ah, Collaterly Sisters, that brings back memories.  Mainly of him being a childish prick, admittedly, but still...aaaaaahhhhh[nb]Five 'a's in 'aaaaahhhhh' and 5 'h's in 'aaaaahhhhh', motherfuckers[/nb].

Anyway, to address potential criticisms of this film - isn't that what we want, as parents[nb]I'm not a parent, god help you all if that ever happened[/nb]?  As a child who was obsessed by Lego, I want this to be an all-out action film which encapulates the imagination I had as a child, and portray it on the big screen.  As some sort of semi-adult child[nb]I'm 35 at the time of this post[/nb] I want it to have adult references which are clever enough for me to laugh at but also none that alienate a child audience.

Does it not achieve that? 

Mister Six's comment about having an authentically cracked helmet and rubbed off logo means a hell of a lot to me - that happened to nearly all of the Lego Spacemen I had in the 1980s.  Stupid blue Lego spacemen, it was only a matter of time before the yellow Blue spacemen won, because you couldn't tell if they were fading because of the atmosphere or if it was because of sunlight and that gave an immediate moment of opportunity to the others.  The reds we ignored because they were Nazi or Russian.  No-one wanted to be the ones in charge of the reds.

Mind you, I think part of the reason for their destruction might have been the massive alien feline who decided just to plonk herself down on the alien space base.  Those poor little Lego men must have been scared.  Imagine a giant cat sitting down on you!  Can you imagine? 

I miss my first cat, but she knew how to end the Lego Cold War just by sitting down on the Lego spaceship with which I was going to conquer the world.  Clever cat.

I'm going to be 36 on Friday[nb]I know, I can't believe I'm still alive either[/nb] and really, all I want to do is watch this film at about 6-8pm, then go to bed so I can have a lie-in.

George Oscar Bluth II

I came in to mention that FOX News thinks this is communist propaganda. A film that exists entirely to sell a product is communist propaganda.

I'd really like to see this, but none of my hipster friends will be up for it and I can't go to see a kids film on my own. The cinema staff will definitely have me marked down as a potential fiddler if I do.

billtheburger

Me and my wife went to Lego land for our third anniversary years before we had kids.
I also wore inappropriately short shorts.

You'll be fine going to see the film.

Replies From View

When you say "inappropriately short shorts" do you mean inappropriate specifically for Lego land?

billtheburger

For everywhere that isn't a waterpark in a hot country, but especially Legoland.

Endicott

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 10, 2014, 05:34:43 AM
I really doubted whether a Big Mac could emote effectively but now I know it can. In awe.

When I started playing with lego the figures didn't exist. When they came out I thought they were ridiculous because they didn't fit in with any of the narratives I'd imagined for my constructions. I go so far as to say that they were the beginning of the end for lego. This film means nothing to me.

CaledonianGonzo

For me the rot set in when they started using plastic instead of wood and I could no longer feel the texture of Billund's trees in my innocent, childlike creations.

madhair60

I was going to see this yesterday but it's not out. :(

CaledonianGonzo

It's been showing at Cineworld cinemas all week.  Technically it's been 'previewing', but the one down the road from me's been doing about 10 screenings a day.

Petey Pate

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on February 13, 2014, 10:31:07 AMthe one down the road from me's been doing about 10 screenings a day.

And they say this film isn't about making money?  Purleassse.

CaledonianGonzo

Worked on me, guv. 

Currently swithering over a Lego Arkham Asylum or a Lego Temple of Doom.

Replies From View

Will there be any TECHNIC Lego in the film?

CaledonianGonzo

If Fabuland Lego is in it, then it's a fair assumption, aye.  It's also in the poster.

BUT WILL THERE BE A GIANT RAMPAGING DUPLO BUNNY?

Blumf

Quote from: Replies From View on February 13, 2014, 11:11:24 AM

Like these guys?

[Somebody's about to get a beating.]

Replies From View

I've never seen those guys, but it makes sense the scaled-up Technic vehicles would have scaled-up Lego people to go with them.

weekender

Quote from: Replies From View on February 13, 2014, 11:11:24 AM

I hate to break this to you grandad, but it's all about Lego Mindstorms nowadays, which is basically giving kids the technology to create customizable, programmable robots.

What with this and the Raspberry Pi stuff, I reckon those visions of Skynet in 2029 may not be far from the truth. 

Fortunately we'll all have run out of oil by then so we'll all be dead anyway, unless someone comes up with an alternative idea - say, using running water or wind-power to generate electricity. 

So, all this country really needs is enough running water and wind to make this a viable proposition.  Can't see it happening any time soon, personally.