Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:55:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Podcasting advice needed

Started by dr_christian_troy, February 10, 2014, 04:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_christian_troy

Hullo. I was wondering if anyone could help me - if you have an existing podcast and you want to change the author in the feed, can you edit the author from all of the episodes in the feed so far without buggering up anything for subscribers?

For example:

If 'The Podcast' by Geoff was to be changed in the feed to 'The Podcast' by Podcast Industries, would it affect anything?

I'm not sure if I being too clear, but thanks in advance.

Zetetic

As someone who knows fuckall about podcasting, I'll stick my oar in -

In general, most software won't care about changes to feeds unless you change the unique identifier (guid in RSS feeds for example) for an item, in which case they'll treat the changed items as new ones (as you'd expect).

There might be something funny about changing metadata for enclosures - e.g. if you change the 'author' in the actual sound files of the podcast, you'll likely have to change the length attribute in the RSS feed - in feeds that causes redownloads. Particularly if there are URL changes?

In general I think the behaviour of client applications when you do something like this is poorly defined because it's not something that should generally happen.

What do you use to publish the podcast?

dr_christian_troy

I use Podcast Generator - the thing is, if you have a podcast joining a network, presumably there must be a simple way to transfer the archive with the author changed to the name of the network. It doesn't seem beneficial for an independent podcast to have to start from scratch if they join a network to support them.