Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:07:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

1970'/early 80's science fiction films

Started by Mr_Simnock, February 11, 2014, 01:28:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Steels Stockbroker

In the early 80s there was a magazine called Space Voyager, which attempted to cover the markets of pop science and SF at the same time. I'm not sure it had many copies but I had 1 of them. It was a real jumble of stuff: an article by Patrick Moore about the Voyager space probes, something about Project Daedalus (feasibility study for an interstellar space mission) and also a preview of the new 4th series of Blakes Seven, and a roundup of SF films, which included details of the legal issues around Alien. There was also a massive amount of hate for the 1st Star Trek film.

Mr_Simnock

How many films are blatantly ripped off in this short promo, answers on a postcard please..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzfuNSpP0RA

Blumf

Whoa, there really is everything in there. The Invaders from Mars reference was the last straw.

notjosh

Check out Day of the Dolphin. The poster makes it look absurd, but it's actually a very thoughtful and poignant film, which works because it's totally committed to the premise (which is less about killing the president and more about dolphins learning English). It's directed by Mike Nichols.

I also second Coma, a great 70s paranoia film, and Crichton's best film outside of The First Great Train Robbery.

Phil_A

Quote from: Blumf on March 09, 2014, 02:12:19 AM
Whoa, there really is everything in there. The Invaders from Mars reference was the last straw.

Am I wrong to really want to see that? It looks brilliantly unhinged in the way that only the best Italian sci-fi knock-offs can manage(I'm assuming Italian, it has to be really).

My favourite steal in that trailer is the rip-off of the stop-motion skeleton fight from Jason & The Argonauts, but with robots. Ingenius!

Mr_Simnock

QuoteI'm assuming Italian

It's a US and Italian backed\made whatever film. David Hasselhoff, Christopher Plumber and Caroline munro all appear. it does appear too sit not to see so I'm going to try and find a full film download from somewhere. You remember when we had that sort of film night on CaB radio with that crap Irish martial arts film? we should do that again with this one, it would be perfect.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: notjosh on March 15, 2014, 08:26:27 AM
I also second Coma, a great 70s paranoia film, and Crichton's best film outside of The First Great Train Robbery.

Westworld.

kidsick5000

George White

The Humanoid (1979) - A city called Metropolis, "Krypton metal", a Darth Vader manque, Corinne Clery dressed in white says "it's our only hope" while filing into into a robot, a wedge-shaped super-spaceship trundling across the screen, set design that mimics the Falcon,  scrolling opening credits. At least with other Star Wars knockoffs, they try to place some kind of deranged originality, be it clipper ships, druids or George Peppard drinking beer and singing Burl Ives songs. This is almost slavishly faithful to Star Wars and to a lesser extent, Superman, and even the odd original elements, Richard Kiel as a space merc who becomes a Hulk-like supermutant is derived from Frankenstein, Barbara Bach is Space Ingrid Pitt, the Tibetan kid with telekinetic Buddhist superpowers is a mini-Obi Wan... But for a film released by Columbia, with a relatively starry cast (five time Oscar nominee Arthur Kennedy blustering as a mad scientist), it's so blatant. That this never got a US release thanks to AIP being embarrassed of it explains why Lucas didn't blast the thing down with a lawsuit.

purlieu

Hello old thread.

A couple of late '60s ones that would fit:
Doppleganger aka Journey to the Far Side of the Sun. Gerry Anderson's only feature length, live action film. Got slated at the time, for reasons that are beyond me, as it's a wonderful film, very imaginative, incredibly bleak in places (certainly the more adult aspects of UFO and Space: 1999 were seeded here).

Marooned. Has a ludicrously low score on IMDB because a horribly edited shortened version appeared on Mystery Science Theatre 3000, which is totally unfair as it's a gripping story about astronauts stranded in space. Played as very 'hard' SF. Excellent film.

Idaho Transfer is a fairly strange, trippy film about a time machine that sends people into a post-apocalyptic future. Not perfect, but very memorable.

Would also agree with past recommendations of Colossus: The Forbin Project, Slaughterhouse Five, La Planet Sauvage, Logan's Run and all the Cronenberg stuff.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: purlieu on March 06, 2019, 12:03:36 PM
Marooned. Has a ludicrously low score on IMDB because a horribly edited shortened version appeared on Mystery Science Theatre 3000

Nah, it has a low score because it's dull as fuck.  The full version is even duller than the short one.  Granted, Gene Hackman is brilliant in it, as always, and it's nice to see a bit of proper "science faction" in a film of that time, but it doesn't have the enigmatic style and brilliance of 2001.

It's not even Sturges' best sci-fi film.

mothman

Bloody hell. This is a blast from the past... But, it occurs to me nobody has mentioned Looker (unless I missed it). I love this film. Can't imagine why.

Trailer: https://youtu.be/yoT-r1slAZ4

St_Eddie

Quote from: mothman on March 06, 2019, 09:29:48 PM
Bloody hell. This is a blast from the past... But, it occurs to me nobody has mentioned Looker (unless I missed it).

You did miss an earlier mention...

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 11, 2014, 08:07:19 AM
I've not seen or read The Andromeda Strain, but I have seen two of the films that Michael Crichton wrote and directed in this period: Westworld and Looker. They both have terrific concepts but suffer from excruciating execution. The technologies and musings in both are superb but unfortunately the films themselves are very flawed. Still worth seeking out, I'd say, especially the former.

mothman

Sebastian Cobb