Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:37:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Boardwalk - Boardwalk

Started by weekender, February 11, 2014, 06:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekender

I first heard this band as their 'I'm To Blame' song was posted via The Curious Brain.

You're going to have to bear with me now because I'm going to try and write about their debut album (which is called 'Boardwalk', apparently) instead of chucking up YouTube links[nb]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJnIq15wysY[/nb].

Maybe it's me, maybe it's my melancholy nature, but I'm a sucker for slow, chilled, rhythmic tunes which have a touch of introspection about them.  As soon as you chuck a drone type noise in there I'm all over it. 

I'm not sure how to communicate with you hipsters on here, so let me try: "This is what The XX would be like if their entire families had been destroyed in a nuclear holocaust, and they realised that they had to get on with stuff like eating human flesh, but they didn't really want to.  This is the soundtrack to accompany them after their feast".

There is a reason I am not a professional music reviewer.

Anyway, the album is out now and I fucking love it.  It's 'wintery' enough to provide a cool background to our harsh weather-based existence, but I reckon it's 'summery' enough to provide a chilled-out soundtrack to a nice summer.  One in which you want to spend in a beer garden, reminiscing about everything, without being morbid about it.

I dunno, this album just resonates with me.  I've bunged a link to 'I'm To Blame' in the footnote of the first sentence, here's a link to I'm Not Myself.

As soon as I heard 'I'm To Blame' I contacted Stones Throw records about them.  Stones Throw appear to be a little independent label in the US, the guy I've been liaising with about the Boardwalk release seems pretty cool.

Anyway, I hope you like them.  If you do, the very least you could do is buy an mp3 or two, it would only cost you a pound or so.  This is not a buying or selling tactic, I have no affiliation with them at all other than I love Boardwalk's debut album (it's cost me £20 to get the vinyl album imported, and I actually think that's a bargain for the amount of listens I will get from this album).  It's meant as a general 'If you like local music for local people, support your local shops' approach.

Anyway.  There we are.  Thank you for reading.

Let me know what you think.

weekender

Your loss.  Don't mind me then.