Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:24:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Werner Herzog Rhapsody

Started by Sam, February 12, 2014, 02:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newbridge

Quote from: kittens on October 23, 2014, 05:40:31 PM
it was inspired by your thread that i downloaded them all. best i could manage would be a film a day, and even then i'm pushing it. my attention span is so low. i just watched little dieter needs to fly and all i could think about in the last half hour was the bath i am going to have later and wanking

Bath + wank + watch Stroszek all at the same time. Now that's really living.

Sam

With Christmas approaching I note that the Herzog on Herzog book has been updated with lots of new interviews. It's now coming on for 600 pages and has been retitled as 'A Guide for The Perplexed'.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0571259774/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1417992288&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

Also, 'Of Walking In Ice' his account of his walk from Munich to Paris in a blizzard is back in print:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1784870374/ref=pd_aw_sims_1?pi=SL500_SY115&simLd=1

Bad Ambassador

His appearance in The Simpsons was on last week. The episode was generally pretty ropey, but his admission that he is the adult Augustus Gloop and that he still has nightmares about the pipe was wonderful.

great_badir

Quote from: Sam on December 07, 2014, 10:50:57 PM
With Christmas approaching I note that the Herzog on Herzog book has been updated with lots of new interviews. It's now coming on for 600 pages and has been retitled as 'A Guide for The Perplexed'.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0571259774/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1417992288&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

Also, 'Of Walking In Ice' his account of his walk from Munich to Paris in a blizzard is back in print:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1784870374/ref=pd_aw_sims_1?pi=SL500_SY115&simLd=1

Both books absolutely brilliant.

kittens

^just bought of walking in ice. i bought the old version of herzog on herzog a couple of months ago. should've got the new one shouldn't i

Sam

He's a special subject on Christmas sleb mastermind. We should post our scores trying to beat the contestant.

kittens

Sam

Garam

Cool, thanks, buying both books.

The new Herzog on Herzog cover and title is crap though, the old one looked classy and fitted well with the others in the series. This is the first time Of Walking in Ice is printed in English, isn't it? Never been able to find a copy before.

Sam

Nah it's been in English before but out of print. Remember smugly getting it out of the library when it was going for a hundred quid on eBay.

Paaaaul

I finally got around to watching Nosferatu last night.
I'm not sure why I put it off for so long. I love Herzog. I love horror films.

Well, it blew me away. The visuals are outstanding, the storytelling is beautifully done, the casting is perfect, and performances are all spot on, with Kinski possibly delivering his best in a Herzog film. Definitely top tier stuff.

I've nearly watched everything on this BFI set now, so I'll be re-watching them all with the commentaries soon. Any commentaries worth looking out for?

That's weird. I literally was just watching Nosferatu like, half an hour ago.

Paaaaul

Don't watch the making-of doc soon. Everyone working on it looks so unhappy, it bummed me out.

kittens

i got the blu ray collection today yes lads!

Paaaaul

The Blu-ray boxset is currently £35.99 at Zavvi if you use the code on the page to knock 10% off.

Sam

I got 9 to the contestant's 12. Not bad for no research or prep!

Paaaaul

10. Didn't get the Encounters..., or the Fitzcarraldo opera house questions.

kittens

hello team. i'm about to watch fitzcarraldo for the first time but i am faced with a choice - do i watch the german version or the english version? is either one noticeably better than the other? thanks

Paaaaul

You'll be fine watching it in English.

Paaaaul

I've been watching some of my backlog of Herzog films recently.

Happy People: A Year In the Taiga
Tremendous. A really enjoyable doc following trappers in Siberia. Herzog's voiceover is excellent on this.

My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done?
I quite enjoyed this, but it did feel very stagey (thanks to the source), and I'm not in a great hurry to re-watch it. Despite some awesome visuals, a lot of it felt quite emotionally cheap.

Woodabe: Herdsmen Of The Sun
I loved this. Another look at a quirky culture, and how this tribe from Niger have basically the same hang-ups and obsessions as western teenagers.

Cobra Verde
The last of the Kinski/Herzog collaborations, and it did feel as if was retreading a lot of ground already covered in Aguirre and Fitzcaraldo.

The Flying Doctors of East Africa
Very early Herzog doc. Really good, despite Herzog not having quite yet realised his cinematic voice - compounded by someone else doing the voiceover.

The Wide Blue Yonder
Does this stink? I'm not sure. It's probably the most experimental thing I've seen Herzog do. The pacing is all over the place, as is the tone and it feels incomplete. I'll definitely re-watch this soon.

I've got Scream Of Stone,No One Will Play With Me, Into The Abyss,Wheel Of Time and Incident At Loch Ness up next, and Lessons Of Darkness if I can find a copy.

How do people rate La Soufriere? Its probably my favourite documentary of his.

Paaaaul

Quote from: clingfilm portent on November 12, 2015, 04:01:40 PM
How do people rate La Soufriere? Its probably my favourite documentary of his.
I need to re-watch it, but I remember really enjoying it. One of the earliest documentaries where Herzog really throws himself into the story and doesn't come across all Broomfield.

Paaaaul

Werner is on WTF today.
I've not listened yet, but he's always a good interviewee.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-733-werner-herzog-godfrey

Paaaaul

Quote from: Paaaaul on August 15, 2016, 10:49:05 AM
Werner is on WTF today.
I've not listened yet, but he's always a good interviewee.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-733-werner-herzog-godfrey

Spoiler alert
He's got four films (inc. Queen of The Desert) completed and ready to release.
Lo And Behold, the internet one, is released in America on Friday, and the rest of them will drip through over the next few months.
[close]

DukeDeMondo

I posted this in the Kanye thread, but if anyone was wondering what Werner Herzog's thoughts on the [NSFW] video for Famous might be, wonder no more, for here they are: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/08/12/watch-werner-herzog-analyzes-kanye-west-s-famous-music-video.html

garbed_attic

Why do you think modern-day Herzog feels at home in America/ LA? It's hard to imagine Herzog of the late 70s talking as enthusiastically about America as he does now. Y'all reckon it's the myth making and the landscapes?

Paaaaul

Quote from: gout_pony on August 19, 2016, 01:24:08 PM
Why do you think modern-day Herzog feels at home in America/ LA? It's hard to imagine Herzog of the late 70s talking as enthusiastically about America as he does now. Y'all reckon it's the myth making and the landscapes?
Life imitating art.
Don't let him get on that ski-lift.

Steven

His latest: LO AND BEHOLD, REVERIES OF THE CONNECTED WORLD (2016)

Trailer

Society depends on the Internet for nearly everything but rarely do we step back and recognize its endless intricacies and unsettling omnipotence. Presented by NETSCOUT, a leader in service assurance and cyber security, Werner Herzog explores - in a playful yet chilling examination - our rapidly interconnecting online lives.