Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:20:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Anything Else like "Jam or Brasseye?"

Started by Drew, August 16, 2004, 08:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew

Hello,

Iam a huge fan of chris morris and dark comedy, since living in Uk for three years u have goten used to switching on the telly and finding good comedy.
Since coming back to australia where i live i have seen nothing but Fucking shit!! our skectch comedy shows over here have the mentality of 11 year old, I miss the english comedy. I miss shows with rob brydon and steve coogan and ricky and chris morris and all others.  in particuar chris morris... i dont think hed make it over here, the most of the people wouldnt understand it.. its crap, so all we get is utter shit.

Can anyone tell me if anything else has come out from anyone that is like "Jam or Brasseye?" like some real dark comedy sketch show or something that i have missed in the past year or so.. then i can order it down ere. And not have to watch this crap..

Thanks alot!

Drew

Jaffa The Cake

Get a copy of "People Like Us". It's a spoof documentary, but very different from Brass Eye... it's more subtle. Anyway, many of the Morris fans around here also like "People Like Us".

If you're after something Jam-like, have you tried Dare to Believe?

Whoredog

Please don't bother with Dare To Believe... It's extremely poor... It would be nice if any more episodes of "Attention Scum" were made though...

Does anybody else like Think The Unthinkable on Radio 4 apart from me by the way?? That'll probably be the next thing to go to TV and get completely ruined...

Pinball

Quote from: "Whoredog"Does anybody else like Think The Unthinkable on Radio 4 apart from me by the way?? That'll probably be the next thing to go to TV and get completely ruined...
It's great isn't it? I'm recording 'em & putting in Soulseek shares (BBC7 folder) in case anyone's interested.

slim

Quote from: "Pinball"
Quote from: "Whoredog"Does anybody else like Think The Unthinkable on Radio 4 apart from me by the way?? That'll probably be the next thing to go to TV and get completely ruined...
It's great isn't it? I'm recording 'em & putting in Soulseek shares (BBC7 folder) in case anyone's interested.

Ack! Does anyone know a way to get Soulseek working on XP without hitches? I constantly get BSOD's from the client and am obviously missing out on a lot of good comedy (from reading various threads in here).

Has anyone had a version which doesn't seem to crash XP, where previous (or later) versions did?

Sorry to hijack the thread by the way, it was just the proverbial straw.

I suppose if it's dark you are after you might want to try monkey dust, it's deliberately dark and all the worse for it to be honest but if that's your bag then you might like it. Another stab at deliberately dark comedy is the recent 'nighty night' - never seen it myself though it wasnt popular round here.

Santa's Boyfriend

Welcome along by the way.  If you stick around for a while you'll find out about what comedy is coming out on DVD and what's worth ordering.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"'nighty night' - never seen it myself though it wasnt popular round here.
Lucky you. If I were you Drew I would avoid Nighty Night completely, one of the worst comedy programs of recent times despite the 'critical acclaim' it received. You might like Big Train, if you haven't seen it I'd recommend the soon-to-be-released DVD which will feature the Morris-directed pilot. I suppose it's not 'dark' so isn't exactly what you're looking for but it's very likeable and a lot better than The Sketch Show, Monkey Dust and most of the sketch shows that have come since it was shown (I may have completely forgotten about something though).

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"
Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"'nighty night' - never seen it myself though it wasnt popular round here.
Lucky you. If I were you Drew I would avoid Nighty Night completely, one of the worst comedy programs of recent times despite the 'critical acclaim' it received. You might like Big Train, if you haven't seen it I'd recommend the soon-to-be-released DVD which will feature the Morris-directed pilot. I suppose it's not 'dark' so isn't exactly what you're looking for but it's very likeable and a lot better than The Sketch Show, Monkey Dust and most of the sketch shows that have come since it was shown (I may have completely forgotten about something though).

It wasn't better than the Armando Iannucci Shows.

Vermschneid Mehearties

The Armando Iannucci shows. I'm sure you'd like that series. It's out on DVD sometime apparantly, which will be super.

EDIT- Fucking scarily timed...

A Passing Turk Slipper

Ah, I knew I had forgotten something.

gazzyk1ns

Have you heard Morris' Radio 1shows from 1994? They're available from CaB, this page:

http://chilled.cream.org/forums/r1music.php

They're probably my favourite Morris material. Apologies if I'm just telling you stuff you already know of course, but you didn't mention anything Morris-related apart from BE or Jam...

Johnny Yesno

Inside Victor Lewis Smith is very like Jam in places (actually that should be the other way round, I guess). Don't let the fact that VLS is a bitter, whingeing, dread-headed tosser put you off. He used to be really funny.

steevbishop

Quote from: "Johnny Yesno"Inside Victor Lewis Smith is very like Jam in places (actually that should be the other way round, I guess). Don't let the fact that VLS is a bitter, whingeing, dread-headed tosser put you off. He used to be really funny.

That was hilarious on first transmission and had my stomach aching on several occassions. Didn't the premise go somthing like... he sneezed in his motorcycle helmet, fell into a coma and they tapped into his head to make television? Great show, and I'd kill to see the whole series again.
TV Offal was quite good, but not as consistently funny. My then girlfriend who was a huge Beatles fan damn near hated me for days after the episode where he ripped into Linda McCartney's* singing voice. I was rolling on the floor, she was pure stone.

Do these exist anywhere in p2p-land?

EDIT: *it took me hours to realise I hadn't specified Linda "warbling like a gaggle of suffocating squirrels" McCartney, which is shit of me.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: "steevbishop"That was hilarious on first transmission and had my stomach aching on several occassions. Didn't the premise go somthing like... he sneezed in his motorcycle helmet, fell into a coma and they tapped into his head to make television?

Do these exist anywhere in p2p-land?

That was it. My memory's a bit hazy but there was a bit where he decided to be an anarchist and, among other things, put his own soundtracks to BBC music archive material. The Henrix and James Galway clips had me almost choking on my own tongue. They sounded so bad but fitted so well with the finger and mouth movements.
Unfortunately, I'm the wrong person to ask about p2p as my calculator is too slow for that kind of thing.

TJ

Captures of Inside VLS will be around soon...

"...The White And Black Minstrel Show!"

Shade

Quote from: "Drew"Hello,

Since coming back to australia where i live i have seen nothing but Fucking shit!! our skectch comedy shows over here have the mentality of 11 year old,

Drew

The Micallef Programme would like a word with you.

steevbishop

Quote from: "Johnny Yesno"That was it. My memory's a bit hazy but there was a bit where he decided to be an anarchist and, among other things, put his own soundtracks to BBC music archive material. The Henrix and James Galway clips had me almost choking on my own tongue. They sounded so bad but fitted so well with the finger and mouth movements.

VLS: "Thisss is what it sounds like... to meeeeeeeeeeeee"
Jimi Hendrix in a very English accent: "I'm go-ing dowrn to shoot my owld laydee (slurps really loudly in time with visual of Hendrix licking lips)"

Drew

Thanks Everyone!!!!
Ive actually saw some of big train before i left UK, I actually like it.. was pretty hit and miss though, but yeah i like that kind of stuff, i like those actors used in it same as used in Jam and BE.  I just ordered the big train DVD, that monkey sounds ok.. i aint seen it though...
I was check out that radio one was chris morris i aint heard it, only heard Blue Jam on radio one..

Drew

Drew

That inside VLS looks good, id buy it but it doesnt seem to be available...
On a different scale, Have i missed any interesting TV programmes like Richard Taylor Inerviews, anything eye catching like that?

Thanks again

Drew

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Have you heard Morris' Radio 1shows from 1994? They're available from CaB, this page:

http://chilled.cream.org/forums/r1music.php

They're probably my favourite Morris material. Apologies if I'm just telling you stuff you already know of course, but you didn't mention anything Morris-related apart from BE or Jam...

ha, cheers i hadnt heard that, just did now, and i love it... ill be up all nite now..
Thanks for that