Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:55:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Grauniads Of The Galaxy

Started by SteveDave, February 19, 2014, 10:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

A trailer has been released

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B16Bo47KS2g

Peter Serafinowicz is in it. Doing arch campness.

And now I've got "Hooked On A Feeling" in my head.[nb]Thanks a lot Al Gore.[/nb]

Tiny Poster

Looks like it's adhering to the wit and humour of the Abnett & Lanning run, which is a Good Sign.

I'm quite excited about this now (Chris Pratt! The universe's sexiest man!) but also worry that it'll turn out to be a mess and flop terribly.

SteveDave

Oh it'll flop. I believe this & Ant Man will bury Marvel. Or at least send them back to making another Iron Man.

Tiny Poster

They'll need to throw a lot of money at Downey Jr - I don't think he's committed to many more movies, and they've mentioned recasting the role.

I don't think either will "bury" Marvel - they are too canny with their production and marketing costs - but they could be seen as the first "failures" in comparison to the established properties, even if they make their money back.

madhair60

I can't imagine this succeeding, unfortunately.

Famous Mortimer

Their funnier films seem to be the ones that people like the least (SM3, the two FFs).

Tiny Poster

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 19, 2014, 11:56:10 AM
Their funnier films seem to be the ones that people like the least (SM3, the two FFs).

Those are Fox/Sony, not Marvel Studios productions.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 19, 2014, 11:56:10 AM

The original Iron Man trailer was pitched towards humour (as I remember it)

Tiny Poster

Indeed, that sort of set the tone for the entire Marvel Movie Universe (and was a big gamble at the time). They've all been humorous, but Avengers stands out for genuine belly-laughs.

Johnny Textface

Quote from: SteveDave on February 19, 2014, 10:35:52 AM
I believe this & Ant Man will bury Marvel.

Marvel are owned by Disney aren't they? Don't think there's going to be much chance of that!

I'm looking forward to this and am glad Marvel are making original films such as this and Ant Man, and aren't sticking to their tried and tested characters each time.

I just wish they could get Spiderman back into the fold so he could pop up in an Avengers film or something. Shame that Sony owns alot of this stuff.

phantom_power

Iron Man 3 made a shit-ton and that is the funniest Marvel film, almost a flat-out comedy.

This looks great and it is being marketed to buggery so hopefully it will do OK. Chris Pratt was really channeling Indy in that first scene. He has that quality that a young Ford had, and Nathan Fillion has, of being cocky yet endearing, and able to take a beating with style. I have faith in the director as well in that, like Shane Black, he can bring something new to the table

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Tiny Poster on February 19, 2014, 12:38:39 PM
Those are Fox/Sony, not Marvel Studios productions.
But they are films, that were released, with Marvel characters in them, yes? I've checked my post and I didn't specify "Marvel Studios Productions", so I'm not sure why you felt the need to post that.

Let me rephrase, though, for the pedants in the room. Much as I like the comics, my worry is that most of the "flops" (commercial or critical) in the superhero genre have been ones that were more comedic- from "Batman and Robin" and "Mystery Men" onwards, but including a number of poorly-regarded films starring Marvel characters, as "Guardians Of The Galaxy" is. For the record, I liked SM3 and the two Fantastic Four films just fine.

I hope this is more Iron Man 3 and less Iron Man 2 in terms of quality, and that it opens the doors to a "Starjammers" film.

phantom_power

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 19, 2014, 02:41:10 PM
But they are films, that were released, with Marvel characters in them, yes? I've checked my post and I didn't specify "Marvel Studios Productions", so I'm not sure why you felt the need to post that.

Let me rephrase, though, for the pedants in the room. Much as I like the comics, my worry is that most of the "flops" (commercial or critical) in the superhero genre have been ones that were more comedic- from "Batman and Robin" and "Mystery Men" onwards, but including a number of poorly-regarded films starring Marvel characters, as "Guardians Of The Galaxy" is. For the record, I liked SM3 and the two Fantastic Four films just fine.

I hope this is more Iron Man 3 and less Iron Man 2 in terms of quality, and that it opens the doors to a "Starjammers" film.

Spideman 3 and the FF films might be "Marvel" films but they aren't Marvel Films films. They aren't part of the giant world that Marvel are creating with their own films. They all seem to have humour in them and I would say the two funniest (Iron Man 3 and The Avengers) are the two most successful. I think this trailer works well to establish the characters and the humor and so if the film is good it should make a load of cash. Iron Man wasn't a particular well-known or loved character before that film came out and a lot of people tipped The Avengers to be a disaster in both execution and at the box office.

I share you concerns about the film flopping but I am more positive about that likelihood I think

SteveDave

I suppose it's hard to get away from the big names of comics & introduce new characters to the wider public.

I will be interested to see what this & Ant-Man do.

kidsick5000

Quote from: phantom_power on February 19, 2014, 01:59:25 PM
Iron Man 3 made a shit-ton and that is the funniest Marvel film, almost a flat-out comedy.

Though oddly, it was marketed as a far more serious film

Fry

Chris Pratt is like an apprentice Paul Rudd. Attractive, affable, non-threatening funnyman.

I love them both.

Tiny Poster

Iron Man 3 was the second-highest grossing film of 2013 too, taking quite a bit more than Man Of Steel, the fifth highest, and second superhero film in the list. Thor: The Dark World came in at twelve, and The Wolverine at twenty-two.

FM - the distinction is important, as pp points out. The Marvel Studios productions all have a unity of vision that the more shallow Fox/Sony ones lack. I really think the wit involved in each one, as well as the relative risks taken with directors and casting, sets them apart from the others - Warner's' DC properties included. Those earlier films you mention are practically a generation away now, in movie cycle terms.

Not to mention that part of the reason people keep coming back to these Marvel Studios films is the fact that the characters all share a universe and are part of one larger story. Whenever I've seen one of them during their initial run at the cinema, people are staying through the credits because they know it will somehow tie into a future instalment.

vrailaine

Quote from: Tiny Poster on February 19, 2014, 07:14:50 PM
Iron Man 3 was the second-highest grossing film of 2013 too
Now, I'm not saying it wouldn't have been a huge success otherwise, but 2013 had a baffling vacuum of time spanning from the beginning of the year up to Iron Man 3 in which the only remotely big releases were Oz and GI Joe 2 due to A Good Day to Die Hard being so incredibly awful that it managed to flop in the US, iirc.

...and I know it's a quiet period of the year for films and all, but it was shocking just how little there was coming out even in March and April last year. I remember the summer before everyone being a bit perplexed by the decision to delay GI Joe for 9 months after promoting it for months as a summer release, but the logic was clear as day once it rolled around.

Mister Six

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 19, 2014, 02:41:10 PM
Let me rephrase, though, for the pedants in the room. Much as I like the comics, my worry is that most of the "flops" (commercial or critical) in the superhero genre have been ones that were more comedic- from "Batman and Robin" and "Mystery Men" onwards

Well Mystery Men was a low-budget film with little star power[nb]It had Ben Stiller, but this was before Meet the Parents, which was when his career really took off.[/nb] and Batman & Robin had the disadvantage of being terrible.

Personally, I think the problem that Guardians of the Galaxy faces isn't that it's too comedic, but that it's too sci-fi. A talking raccoon, a green lady and a living tree are already a big ask, but putting them in a spaceship and having them fight other aliens? It's too much. Even Thor spent half his time on Earth.

Still, I'm looking forward to it, and I like that it's not another origin story. Though I'd prefer it if we had a better idea of what the story is, and what the characters want. They're outlaws, but they seek out artefacts? And they're 'guardians'? So they have a mission of protection? It's all a bit unclear.

Hopefully this will surprise everyone by being a hit, but I'm not holding out hope. I do appreciate that Marvel's willing to expand its movie universe out from superheroes though.

I reckon this is going to be really successful. Mainly because the people I know in real life who are interested in Superhero films are talking about this, and I actually want to see this, since I liked Super[nb]Not a great film. Not one I loved. By no means a well-crafted film, but the enthusiasm and ideas were really exciting and fresh[/nb] and Chris Pratt, and the idea of a more comedic Superhero film interests me, since I don't like the genre, and the po-faced nature of Man of Steel was hilariously shit.

I reckon this'll be good. Mystery Men came out long before Superhero films like this were what the majority went to the cinema to see. I love me some Mystery Men though. Ain't seen it since VHS, but still, I remember it being great.

phantom_power

The trailer did a good job of showing this spacey world as being a bit grungey and millennium Falcon as well., which I think appeals to people. 

Mini

I'm looking forward to it - promising trailer, great cast and James Gunn at the helm. Marvel learnt from their stroke of genius in recruiting Joss Whedon and grabbed a similarly leftfield comedic filmmaker.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on February 19, 2014, 11:50:31 PM
Personally, I think the problem that Guardians of the Galaxy faces isn't that it's too comedic, but that it's too sci-fi. A talking raccoon, a green lady and a living tree are already a big ask, but putting them in a spaceship and having them fight other aliens? It's too much. Even Thor spent half his time on Earth.

I've heard this argument before, and it was used by RTD as to why a lot of Doctor Who was initially set on Earth, but I've never bought it personally. I mean Star Wars is all aliens, with no link to our universe at all, but was a huge success. And Avatar was only a success (imho) because everyone wanted to see the weird blue creatures and their alien world, rather than the human element.

Mister Six

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 20, 2014, 12:51:11 AM
I've heard this argument before, and it was used by RTD as to why a lot of Doctor Who was initially set on Earth, but I've never bought it personally. I mean Star Wars is all aliens, with no link to our universe at all, but was a huge success. And Avatar was only a success (imho) because everyone wanted to see the weird blue creatures and their alien world, rather than the human element.

Avatar was a huge success because of the 3D and the hype. Nothing else, aside from the occasional furry getting off to the blue-skinned chick.

Star Wars was about a mostly human cast, plus a couple of robots and a furball. This has only one regular human-looking dude. It's far more 'alien' in that respect.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: Mister Six on February 19, 2014, 11:50:31 PM
Still, I'm looking forward to it, and I like that it's not another origin story. Though I'd prefer it if we had a better idea of what the story is, and what the characters want. They're outlaws, but they seek out artefacts? And they're 'guardians'? So they have a mission of protection? It's all a bit unclear.

I've read the comics (and am rereading them thanks to this trailer) so I know the set-up, but the fact that the space police are laughing at their self-appointed Guardian status is intriguing enough at this stage, surely? Keep a bit of mystery, unlike the new Spider-Man trailer that gives us Jamie Foxx's entire story arc.

phantom_power

Quote from: Mister Six on February 20, 2014, 12:55:17 AM
Avatar was a huge success because of the 3D and the hype. Nothing else, aside from the occasional furry getting off to the blue-skinned chick.

Star Wars was about a mostly human cast, plus a couple of robots and a furball. This has only one regular human-looking dude. It's far more 'alien' in that respect.

Zoe Saldana's character is human looking as well, as is Dave Batista, John C Reilly, Karen Gillan, Benicio Del Toro and probably lots of others. It is only really Rocket and Groot who are alien looking and they are pretty anthropomorphic.

Tiny Poster

It's "alien" but the humour and character motivations are what will make it relatable (I'm hoping).

Example: the significance of the Walkman.

Mister Six

Quote from: Tiny Poster on February 20, 2014, 07:49:29 AMI've read the comics (and am rereading them thanks to this trailer) so I know the set-up, but the fact that the space police are laughing at their self-appointed Guardian status is intriguing enough at this stage, surely? Keep a bit of mystery, unlike the new Spider-Man trailer that gives us Jamie Foxx's entire story arc.

There's quite a lot of ground between this trailer and one that tells a character's entire story, and it could do with taking a few steps towards the latter. 'Mystery' can be good, provided one of the mysteries isn't what the film is actually about. The trailer's supposed to give you a couple of hooks into the story, to make you interested in seeing how the ideas develop and how the resolution is achieved. This one doesn't say anything at all, except that there are a bunch of gritty, murderous characters (none of whom we get to hear speaking) and one wacky white dude doing... something. In space!

Quote from: phantom_power on February 20, 2014, 08:51:04 AM
Zoe Saldana's character is human looking as well, as is Dave Batista, John C Reilly, Karen Gillan, Benicio Del Toro and probably lots of others. It is only really Rocket and Groot who are alien looking and they are pretty anthropomorphic.

You need to look at it from the point of view of the man on the street, not sweaty comic fans. Zoe Saldana's got green skin in this, right? That's Alien with a capital A to most people. If Dave Batista is the dude with the big glowing red scars on his body, he's freaky as hell. Nobody else you've mentioned is in the trailer - you'd only know what they look like if you've been following production, which most people haven't.

As an introduction to the film, this trailer doesn't really say anything about the film or its story than 'It's a bit funny and very sci-fi'. That might be a tough sell for many in a way that Chris Hemsworth wooing Natalie Portman wasn't.

phantom_power

The trailer makes it out to be like the A Team in space.  The man on the street can get with that