Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,472
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:28:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Grauniads Of The Galaxy

Started by SteveDave, February 19, 2014, 10:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

I don't understand why it's a fake-out

Really not trying to be a cunt but what is the actual problem?  Would it have been better if Groot WAS killed?

They're all falling and Groot wraps around them.  Rocket's like "You'll be killed!" and Drax or something just went "Nah, mate - he'll be fine.  We can regrow him from a twig or some shit."

checkoutgirl

Quote from: BritishHobo on November 23, 2014, 02:35:59 PM
I don't quite understand what you're saying here. My only point is that 'it's fantasy!' or 'it's based on a comic book!' isn't a defence against shitty writing. And I liked the film.

I know what your point was and I was agreeing with it. Albeit in a somewhat sarcastic tone. It's my problem, I haven't had my cornflakes today. I'll get help. I'll get help.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: BritishHobo on November 23, 2014, 02:17:48 AMIn this one it was the big swelling moment where Groot sacrificed himself, and Rocket emotionally told him he was going to die. Except, uh... he didn't. He just didn't. I wish the Marvel folks would stop doing that shit - if you want the emotional beat of killing someone, fucking kill them. Don't bring them back. That's shit.

That would be something like the Disney Death:

http://thedissolve.com/features/exposition/814-its-time-to-retire-the-disney-death/

(It's from the new site from the old AV Club film section, who teamed together with Pitchfork to start another site, as film coverage was getting sidelined there)

Hank Venture

It was alright, completely agree with all that The Region Legion posted, especially the part about the Kratos-looking dude just believing the treacherous greenskinned woman on her word for some reason. She's stood idly by watching genocide happen, and here in this prison people rightly want her dead, no worries, she's turned a corner and she didn't really want to kill people anyway, we should protect her. Aaaaalright then.

Besides, that cum joke was lifted quite shamelessly from Entourage. I mean, it's a direct rip-off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMM044eL56c

How the fuck would Rocket know who Jackson Pollock was?

I had high hopes for this film, and I can pinpoint exactly where they were shattered; when Greenskin gets saved by Pratt, and Drax by Groot. In the lead up to that I thought they were actually going to kill them, and wow, that would be cool, unpredictable, brave. But no. Wasn't dead anyway, even though her ship exploded around her. And from there on out it was exactly like any other of the movies they churn out.

greenman

Quote from: BritishHobo on November 23, 2014, 02:35:59 PM
I don't quite understand what you're saying here. My only point is that 'it's fantasy!' or 'it's based on a comic book!' isn't a defence against shitty writing. And I liked the film.

I would guess the big issue is expectation, the majority of the audience seem totake the view that besides maybe Batman comics aren't really capable of producing more an entertaining not very smart blockbusters.

For someone like The Avengers or the first Thor film I think that went so far as people being happy they weren't an unholy mess they seemed to have the potential to be.

phantom_power

Quote from: Hank Venture on December 18, 2014, 02:13:44 AM
I had high hopes for this film, and I can pinpoint exactly where they were shattered; when Greenskin gets saved by Pratt, and Drax by Groot. In the lead up to that I thought they were actually going to kill them, and wow, that would be cool, unpredictable, brave. But no. Wasn't dead anyway, even though her ship exploded around her. And from there on out it was exactly like any other of the movies they churn out.

It is a comedy blockbuster family film. Do you really think they were going to kill two of the main characters?

I think people are expecting a bit too much internal logic to what is just a knockabout romp. It's fine to point these things out but it shouldn't really spoil your enjoyment of what is really just a joke/action/cool moment delivery machine

momatt

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on November 23, 2014, 01:50:58 PM
This is mainly a kids film, so I didn't have a problem with it. I know you can excuse anything with that, but I just imagined a load of kids leaving the cinema in tears if there was no new baby Groot.

Exactly.  I would have been pretty upset if he had died properly, at least they brought him back in an original and amusing manner.
The dancing baby Groot was amazing too.  How can anyone be pissed off at that?!

Hank Venture

Quote from: phantom_power on December 18, 2014, 10:42:33 AM
It is a comedy blockbuster family film. Do you really think they were going to kill two of the main characters?

I think people are expecting a bit too much internal logic to what is just a knockabout romp. It's fine to point these things out but it shouldn't really spoil your enjoyment of what is really just a joke/action/cool moment delivery machine

No, I didn't, but I was hoping. For a second there was a flicker of hope that they might do the unexpected and brave thing. You might as well say "this was a paint-by-the-numbers-film, do you expect them not to?" - well no, but I was hoping, because otherwise it's just another one in a long line of paint-by-the-numbers-films. If you've seen one, you've seen them all, and if you've seen fifteen a year for ten years, you certainly have.

They made a cum joke, it's not like death is off the taboo. A man has his head caved in with a sledgehammer. One of the main guys quietly passing away wouldn't have been upsetting for the children.

BritishHobo

Quote from: madhair60 on November 23, 2014, 02:41:22 PMThey're all falling and Groot wraps around them.  Rocket's like "You'll be killed!" and Drax or something just went "Nah, mate - he'll be fine.  We can regrow him from a twig or some shit."

But he didn't. Not till loads later, when that's all over and done with.

I just think it's a shit way of making a big emotional sacrifice moment when you're just going to bring him back later.

phantom_power

The emotional moment is the sacrifice. Groot thought he was going to die, sacrificing himself for his friends. It being a family film he ended up not being dead, which provided one of the best moments in the film.

I thought Groot might stay dead - it's not unusual to kill off a hero in that way, particularly one so utterly overpowered and one-note (nothing injures him, he can instantly grow his body to apparently whatever length he desires and all he says is Groot).

The baby Groot left me feeling glad that they all survived but not entirely sure what the 2nd movie really has to offer in terms of where that character goes now.

phantom_power

They have managed 20-odd years of comics out of him so I should think they will work something out. Who would have thought they would make Rocket and Groot so affecting at all before the film was released? I have faith in the creative team

Norton Canes

Cuh, was it really so long ago this came out? Finally caught up with it on Netflix over the weekend. Not bad, had a pleasant 80's sci-fi romp kind of vibe about it - reminded me a bit of trashy flicks like Spacehunter. Some of it was redolent of The Fifth Element, too. 

Anyway, what's the story with 'Starlord' and his origins? I'm sure I remember that reprints of Starlord were the back-up strip in early editions of the 1970's Star Wars comic; and in those, someone was chosen by omnipotent aliens to become Earth's representative dispenser of stellar justice, but he was barged off the transmat pad at the last moment by the story's hero, who was taken aboard the mothership in his place.

Or maybe that was another strip.   

Dr Rock

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 11, 2016, 05:12:58 PM
Cuh, was it really so long ago this came out? Finally caught up with it on Netflix over the weekend. Not bad, had a pleasant 80's sci-fi romp kind of vibe about it - reminded me a bit of trashy flicks like Spacehunter. Some of it was redolent of The Fifth Element, too. 

Anyway, what's the story with 'Starlord' and his origins? I'm sure I remember that reprints of Starlord were the back-up strip in early editions of the 1970's Star Wars comic; and in those, someone was chosen by omnipotent aliens to become Earth's representative dispenser of stellar justice, but he was barged off the transmat pad at the last moment by the story's hero, who was taken aboard the mothership in his place.

Or maybe that was another strip.

Here, this is a good potted history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvQUw1LY9lU

Quite a good channel too.

Jerzy Bondov

I think you're thinking of Nova. But i don't really know.

Cerys

I finally saw this the other day, too.  Took me a while to get into it (I'd been angling to watch 300: Rise of an Empire that night), but then Rocket and Groot showed up.  Everything fell into place after that.