Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,470
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:24:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Grauniads Of The Galaxy

Started by SteveDave, February 19, 2014, 10:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiny Poster

Quote from: Mister Six on February 20, 2014, 09:26:10 AM
You need to look at it from the point of view of the man on the street, not sweaty comic fans. Zoe Saldana's got green skin in this, right? That's Alien with a capital A to most people. If Dave Batista is the dude with the big glowing red scars on his body, he's freaky as hell. Nobody else you've mentioned is in the trailer - you'd only know what they look like if you've been following production, which most people haven't.

Actually, all the people he mentioned are in the trailer. John C. Reilly has the bulk of the dialogue in it!

This is still a "teaser" trailer of sorts, meant to initiate buzz - and apparently, it's been a viral hit. More so than Man Of Steel's trailers:
http://www.thewrap.com/guardians-galaxy-trailer-social-media-smash-bigger-man-steel/

As for explaining what the story is about, all that's really missing from this trailer in comparison to the other Marvel ones is a Here's The Villain bit. They usually establish tone and introduce the hero.

Mister Six

Quote from: Tiny Poster on February 20, 2014, 09:30:21 AMActually, all the people he mentioned are in the trailer. John C. Reilly has the bulk of the dialogue in it!

You're right - I was so distracted by Serafinowicz that I forgot all about him.

Glad it did well on social media, though given the hour it went up, I suspect that it was mostly fans enthusing more than average Joes.

I still think it's lacking as a trailer if you're not familiar with the characters or comic - it seems like a trailer made to give fans a bit of a 'Hey, it's actually happening!' kick rather than to sell the film. And I also still think it's got an uphill struggle ahead of it. But I hope it's great and does well in the cinema. As I said before, it's heartening to see Marvel branching out from fairly conventional big-name superhero movies, especially compared with DC's reductive and short-sighted approach to films.

phantom_power

I have no idea about the comic other than things that have been mentioned regarding the making of the film. I think the trailer does a good job of setting up the tone of the film and establishing the main characters a bit, which is what a teaser is for really. The film isn't out until August so I expect a proper trailer in a few months.

Tiny Poster

The film appears to have dropped my favourite character from the comics - Cosmo, a telepathic, telekinetic Russian dog who is the Head of Security at the GotG's nominal base - but is introducing the Celestials, one of Jack Kirby's crazier (and wide-ranging) concepts.

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: Mister Six on February 20, 2014, 09:26:10 AMAs an introduction to the film, this trailer doesn't really say anything about the film or its story than 'It's a bit funny and very sci-fi'. That might be a tough sell for many in a way that Chris Hemsworth wooing Natalie Portman wasn't.

But the film won't be out until august, so this is just the first of (presumably) a tonne of trailers that will gradually fill us in on what's going on. Anything more than 'here are some weirdos in space' is probably overkill at this early stage.

vrailaine

I'd imagine the main purposes of the first trailer would be to get people acquainted with the weirdos and introduce them to the idea of Chris Pratt as the central figure. This film flopping probably won't kill Pratt's career, but if it's a hit he's probably gonna be elevated hugely.

Also, yeah, generally have no interest in Marvel stuff but James Gunn seems enough of a risk to give it a shot.

Mister Six

Fair enough. I was being a bit over-critical. Let's see how the rest of it turns out.

phantom_power

If nothing else I want this to succeed to make Chris Pratt a star. He is great on Parks and Rec and the amount of work he puts into a "mere" TV show speaks volumes about his attitude I think.

kittens

TRAILER 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lVH3ogPE0w

i am so excited for this. possibly set to be the most fun marvel movie EVER

madhair60

phantom_power

There isn't any part of this that doesn't look amazing

Moribunderast

I'm an unashamed James Gunn fanboy so, despite having no interest in comics or superhero movies, I will be seeing this and am looking forward to it. The cast looks pretty great, which is a good start. The trailer looks like the film won't take itself too seriously, which is always a plus. Fingers crossed.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Hints of Serenity there, which can only be a good thing. Not commercially, obviously, but I don't think this as guaranteed to flop as others seem to. If there's one major thing missing from the trailer, it's that I have no idea who or what the threat to the Galaxy is. All I know is there's a bloke with a hammer, who isn't Thor.

Maybe the threat is whatever terrible force destroyed Karen Gillan's hair.

Here's Vin Diesel walking around on stilts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWN2OLstNmA

phantom_power

These films are never about the villains anyway. They are usually the weakest part of these films and general audiences are more interested in the heroes than the villains. With the exception of outliers like The Joker of course.

That might one of the main differences between the Marvel and DC films actually. Marvel are more interested in the character development of the heroes and often neglect the villains whereas DC spend so much effort making memorable baddies and threats that they neglect any character work with the good guys.  This is just a half-formed theory off the top of my head but so far it works out

Well Loki is one of the more obvious examples of a popular villain in recent times but, on the other hand, Thor 2's Malekith was notoriously underdeveloped. Even then, the trailers had him saying something like, "Your family and your world will be extinguished!" which gave some idea of the scale and motivation of his plans.
Quote from: Mister Six on February 20, 2014, 09:26:10 AM
You need to look at it from the point of view of the man on the street, not sweaty comic fans. Zoe Saldana's got green skin in this, right? That's Alien with a capital A to most people. If Dave Batista is the dude with the big glowing red scars on his body, he's freaky as hell.
I don't know about all that. Green skin is no more inhuman looking than pointy ears, and people seem to like the Lord of the Rings and Star Trek films well enough. Someone else already mentioned Avatar and I don't think hype and 3D are enough to make for the second biggest film ever. The Hellboy films were fairly popular, and the male leads there are the Antichrist and an alien looking merman. Conversely Serenity had no aliens whatsoever and it tanked.

BritishHobo

Yeah that's pretty shit. Must've been a big sticking point considering he's been working on the script with Cornish for almost a decade now. Perhaps they've been trying to hash out their respective visions that entire time and with production looming so close it's become clear they won't be able to compromise.

It'd be nice if Cornish got to take over as director in his stead.

I've read a rumour that the budget was inflating due to Wright's insistence on shooting with film, which would be kind of surprising to me - given how well he worked with video on Spaced, I wouldn't have pegged (arf) him as a film purist.

I expect he'll bounce back - if nothing else, he presumably has some pull with Working Title - but I wonder what this will mean for his prospects in Hollywood. After the commercial failure of Scott Pilgrim, Marvel Studios seemed like his surest bet to have a hit (even if it was likely to be fairly modest by their standards).

Famous Mortimer

As a non-fan of "Scott Pilgrim", I'm...actually still a bit surprised. He's certainly a more bankable directorial name than Shane Black (although Shane Black did a hell of a job).

I think you should pick your battles to a degree, and try and work out which medium is best for the project. And it'd make more sense, in a world where studios are stopping even making actual film prints for cinemas to maybe just utilise the ideal medium for the specific project.

It's a huge Marvel movie. It'll give him the freedom to make his next film on 35mm if he did this on the Arri Alexa. Joss Whedon'll be able to make what he likes I'm sure if he keeps sticking with the Avengers, and James Gunn will follow suit if Guardians of the Galaxy does great.

I mean, Wright's still got a name for himself. And World's End still seemed successful with America and American Critics, which was weird, as it was received relatively negatively critically everywhere else in the world. So he'll bounce back.

I really love Scott Pilgrim, and I think if it was released today, it would have been way more successful and perhaps that may have given him more sway.

sirhenry

Getting back to GotG, I'm a massive fan of Steve Gerber and from what I remember of the comics, he was responsible for the comedy aspects of the title and as long as they've kept that aspect it will be wonderful. The idea that almost all of them are the 'last survivor of a doomed race' is such a wonderfully absurd starting point and a killer raccoon team-member was very Gerber.
But the part I hope they've kept from his tenure is the hectoring of humans for their destruction of their own planet. Even more appropriate today than when they were first written 40 years ago.

My hopes are really too high for this, aren't they?

SteveDave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEg9y9QliXc

An extended trailer. I love Chris Pratt. I also love the way in the Parks & Rec commentaries everybody just calls him Pratt.

phantom_power

There has been nothing I have seen of this film so far that hasn't been awesome. It looks great, the brief action clips look dynamic and interesting and the humour is spot on. The only annoying thing about it is I will be away when it comes out so will have to wait a week to see it

Ignatius_S

Reviews are in and it's good 'un.

Disney Infinity 2.0 figures have been revealed....

Glebe

A 5-star review from Cinemablend... wasn't initially all that interested in this (although it looked fun), but the critical plaudits it's receiving may have swayed my feeble, easily-influenced mind.

Tiny Poster

I think this has Marvel's first
Spoiler alert
cum
[close]
joke.

And it (the film) is even better than I expected. Second best after Avengers, maybe.

Bed now though

The Roofdog

Saw it last night. Wouldn't put it above Cap 2 but it's a bloody good 'un.

Spoiler alert
LEARN GENDER
[close]

Tiny Poster

Yes, on reflection (was giddy last night) it's certainly flawed, and Marvel have made better films, but overall this might have been the most fun, thanks to a relentlessly comedic tone; all the gags come from great characterisation - of the "goodies", anyway...

Which is saying something, what with even the lesser entries being full of laughs and larks.

gloria

Loved the hell out of it. Oodles of charm. Some lovely comic dialogue.

Tiny Poster

I actually want to go and see it again, which I don't think I've done... ever, for a new release.

Oh! Apart from Tree Of Life.