Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:23:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Grauniads Of The Galaxy

Started by SteveDave, February 19, 2014, 10:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Roofdog

I even thought it could've done with being a bit longer, which I hardly ever think about comic book films. Avengers has an extra 20 minutes on it and it doesn't have to introduce any of its characters.

Tiny Poster

It maybe could've used some extra time to give the villains a bit of characterisation beyond boring po-faced EVIL. And someone to dub over Karen Gillan's accent.

I was really impressed by the way they used Dave Bautista's limitations. I've not seen him in anything else, but here he is clearly a Wrestler Trying To Act, yet it completely works with his character's alien nature.

Thomas

I'm really glad to hear the positive reviews for this. I don't know if I'll see it myself, I'm just happy for Karen Gillan achieving swift post-Doctor Who success. I hope Matt Smith nabs himself some good roles now.

Tiny Poster

Incidentally my favourite bit is when
Spoiler alert
Groot
[close]
makes a face.

wasp_f15ting

This film was fucking ace, took my daughter to see it as I didn't want to be alone...

What a lovely OST, and the story was ace.. I think I am falling in love with Zoe Zaldana..

Spoiler alert
That Duck thing after
[close]
the credits was ace too :D

monolith

Can't remember the last time I enjoyed a film so much at the cinema, it wasn't perfect but brilliant fun. If the new Star Wars is as good then I'll be a happy chappy.

SavageHedgehog

I thoroughly enjoyed it, and that's coming from someone who would have been happy if there had been no Marvel movies at all this summer. The plot is generic and the narrative is a bit of a mess, but it's constant fun, and it's a genuine change of pace for the studio, not just the same old thing with a trendy dressing which IMO the last Captain America was. There's so much to enjoy in every frame. Finally, a critically acclaimed comic book movie I can really get behind!

biggytitbo

Quote from: Thomas on August 01, 2014, 01:22:56 PM
I'm really glad to hear the positive reviews for this. I don't know if I'll see it myself, I'm just happy for Karen Gillan achieving swift post-Doctor Who success. I hope Matt Smith nabs himself some good roles now.

He's in Terminator 5.

sirhenry

Hindsight from page 1:
Quote from: SteveDave on February 19, 2014, 10:35:52 AM
Oh it'll flop. I believe this & Ant Man will bury Marvel. Or at least send them back to making another Iron Man.
Quote from: madhair60 on February 19, 2014, 11:26:44 AM
I can't imagine this succeeding, unfortunately.
Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 19, 2014, 11:56:10 AM
Their funnier films seem to be the ones that people like the least (SM3, the two FFs).

I was sure I was doubtful/scathing too, but can't find it. Tomorrow I'm seeing it in Imax 3D - really looking forward to it.

weekender

I think the worst thing for me was that no-one else in the cinema seemed to get the jokes.

I was pissing myself laughing at
Spoiler alert
"If there was a blackout camera, this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting!"
[close]
and Dave Bautista's
Spoiler alert
"Why would I put my finger on his throat?"
[close]

I think what spoiled this effect was that sometimes the film moved on to the direction/action that bit too quickly before the jokes had chance to settle.  Being mentally quick I was of course able to keep up, but sometimes I think I was laughing at things that people hadn't realised were jokes.

Also, Groot was wonderful in the way Jar-Jar Binks wasn't, and his face - you'll know which one if you've seen it as someone here has already mentioned and this really isn't giving anything away - was classic, got a right big laugh from me[nb]Just for the avoidance of doubt, I don't sit in a cinema laughing out loud, I'm not a cunt.  I do this thing where a big grin comes on my face[nb]Insert your own joke, I couldn't come up with one[/nb] then I try and laugh silently.[/nb]

Overall though, I went in under the impression that this would be a 'B-Movie' version of 'Avengers Assemble', and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't, it was a thoroughly enjoyable romp.

Glebe

Saw this tonight, bloody good fun, genuinely funny, actually quite touching and fantastic design/effects. It felt like a genuine adventure, and there was a lovely laid back feel to it. The characters are actually likeable and witty and there's a vertitable cornucopia of creatures, spaceships and stunning futuristic vistas... Star Wars and Star Trek are obvious reference points, but it does things in style... in a way it whetted my appetite for the new Star Wars movies. Groot in particular is a joy, "I am Groot!" is an instant edition to of pop culture... the scene where
Spoiler alert
he sacrifices himself by making himself a ball around them
[close]
is really beautiful. The groovy soundtrack just adds to the fun. My only grip is that I felt maybe it lost a little bit of steam toward the end, and
Spoiler alert
Peter Serafinowicz is rather cruelly wasted
[close]
, but otherwise it's a winner.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: weekender on August 02, 2014, 08:44:19 PM
[nb]Just for the avoidance of doubt, I don't sit in a cinema laughing out loud, I'm not a cunt.[/nb]

You've made me feel all self-conscious about laughing out loud in the cinema now, cheers!

non capisco

Quote from: Tiny Poster on February 20, 2014, 11:46:38 AM
The film appears to have dropped my favourite character from the comics - Cosmo, a telepathic, telekinetic Russian dog who is the Head of Security at the GotG's nominal base

So would he be the dog that The Collector had in his...erm...collection? Not knowing the comics I assumed that was a Laika gag.

Loved the giddy hell out of this. I can imagine eight year old boys wanting to be Peter Quill in the same way I wanted to be Han Solo, Pratt plays an absolute blinder. Comfortably my favourite film Marvel Studios have put out so far, though I've yet to see Captain America 2.

non capisco

Quote from: Glebe on August 03, 2014, 02:41:09 AM
Groot in particular is a joy, "I am Groot!" is an instant edition to of pop culture... the scene where
Spoiler alert
he sacrifices himself by making himself a ball around them
[close]
is really beautiful.

Reminded me of
Spoiler alert
the furnace scene in Toy Story 3
[close]
a bit.

Spoiler alert
WE are Groot!
[close]

kidsick5000

Maybe just me, but it rivals UP for bring the ol' hot eyes within minutes of starting.
What they managed to do with Groot was quite astounding.
Great action, great design, great use of music.
Someone remembers how to make blockbusters fun. If he wasn't set on GOTG 2, I wouldn't be surprised if the Star Wars folk went to James Gunn for Ep9

weekender

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on August 03, 2014, 01:22:22 PM
You've made me feel all self-conscious about laughing out loud in the cinema now, cheers!

Good, maybe you will stop ruining films for other people.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: non capisco on August 03, 2014, 03:03:48 PM
So would he be the dog that The Collector had in his...erm...collection? Not knowing the comics I assumed that was a Laika gag.

It plays both ways - to the layperson, it's Laika, but it doubles as an in-joke for comics readers.

The cinema is a great place to see comedy films, as long as you find the film funny. I remember seeing Bruce Almighty in a multiplex and being baffled by the gales of laughter to really quite dull stuff. On the flipside, middle-class, middle-aged London ladies laughing at every line in a Mike Leigh film. Ugh.

madhair60

I liked this film.  It was good.

+Karma if you agree!!!!!!!!

monolith

Quote from: weekender on August 03, 2014, 04:23:05 PM
Good, maybe you will stop ruining films for other people.
Really? Haha.

If I'm going to see a funny film then I'll laugh, because I'm not a miserable fucker. If a miserable fucker gets miserable due to me laughing then that's miserable fucker's fault for being a miserable fucker.

I get it if it's a group of twats laughing at a video on their phone or because it's hilarious to throw popcorn at someone but it's a bit mental to expect silence when there is a joke on screen.

Glebe

Also, forgot to mention, I actually though of Guillermo del Toro during this, what with all the fantastical invention and stuff.

weekender

Quote from: monolith on August 03, 2014, 04:54:18 PM
Really? Haha.

If I'm going to see a funny film then I'll laugh, because I'm not a miserable fucker. If a miserable fucker gets miserable due to me laughing then that's miserable fucker's fault for being a miserable fucker.

I get it if it's a group of twats laughing at a video on their phone or because it's hilarious to throw popcorn at someone but it's a bit mental to expect silence when there is a joke on screen.

NO OF COURSE NOT BLOODY REALLY!!!

monolith

The internet can be a bit of a cunt when it comes to recognising sarcasm unfortunately.

sirhenry

Quote from: wasp_f15ting on August 01, 2014, 09:48:57 PM
Spoiler alert
That Duck thing after
[close]
the credits was ace too :D
Spoiler alert
'That Duck thing' was the legendary Howard the Duck! created by Steve Gerber, creator of the Guardians of the Galaxy
[close]
and was probably the highlight of the movie for me, if not the highlight of the year[nb]possibly overstating it, but only just[/nb]. I enjoyed that so much more than any of the other Marvel movies, but then it did hark back to the early/mid-70's comics, which was my era. I was very impressed with the alien landscapes and space hardware design - it really had the Jim Starlin epic space vistas feel, along with Steve Gerber's sense of absurd and sarcastic humour. I was prepared to be miffed that none of the original Guardians of the Galaxy were in it, so was well pleased to see Yondu (albeit slightly different in character) getting a fairly major role. And Thanos looked like he should. And Drax was
Spoiler alert
as easily and often beaten as he was in the comics
[close]
. And 'Starlord' will hopefully turn out to be
Spoiler alert
Starhawk's son
[close]
in the next one... And Doctor Who references. And...

Yes, that pushed so many of my buttons I feel like this keyboard. Definitely going to see that one again.

Oh, and I didn't expect to be in tears within 3 minutes of the film starting, but I went to see it with my kids...

Tiny Poster

I strongly recommend you read the Annihilation storyline from 9 years ago sirh - that's the one that re-establishes all the Marvel Cosmic stuff whilst introducing concepts like the Kyln and the new Guardians, who steal their name from the team that exist 1000 years in the future. A great streak of humour running through it too, without which the film wouldn't even have been considered.

Interesting that you think the
Spoiler alert
dad
[close]
will turn out to be
Spoiler alert
Starhawk
[close]
though, I can't see it myself but they don't appear to be going the
Spoiler alert
Jason Spartax
[close]
route. And I'm afraid any Doctor Who references sailed right over my head! What were they?

sirhenry

Doctor Who -
Spoiler alert
hanging off the edge of a spacecraft over a city and losing a hand
[close]
I thought was very reminiscent. I could well be wrong though.

lipsink

Spoiler alert
Rocket's surprise when Drax consoles him after Groot's death
[close]
was so hilariously sweet it nearly had me crying.

I was suprised that they opened the film with
Spoiler alert
a scene of a cancer ridden mother on her death bed that seemed straight out of a TV Movie.
[close]

Tiny Poster

Quote from: lipsink on August 06, 2014, 03:33:49 PM
Spoiler alert
I was suprised that they opened the film with
Spoiler alert
a scene of a cancer ridden mother on her death bed that seemed straight out of a TV Movie.
[close]
[close]
And the worst child actor I've seen in a while.

olliebean

I was a bit disappointed with this, but I think I went in with my expectations raised too high. I mostly enjoyed it and it had some great comedic moments (although not as many as the internet had led me to expect), but the bad guys felt like something out of Power Rangers, and I'm just generally bored of the over-reliance on big CGI battles and escapes and the increasing invulnerability of the heroes in this sort of film.

kittens

i loved it so much oh my god
i want to see it again and again
Spoiler alert
also howard the duck was in it
[close]