Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:48:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brian Logan article: Chris Morris: the comeback starts here

Started by Ignatius_S, February 20, 2014, 03:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignatius_S

QuoteChris Morris: the comeback starts here

After a rare stage appearance at Stewart Lee's recent standup gig, the Brass Eye comedian is returning to TV. Now, more than ever, we need a satirist with his fearlessness.

Brendon Burns wrote earlier this week – in reference to Bill Hicks – that we shouldn't take comedians too seriously, nor make messiahs of them. I'm sure he's right, but I plead guilty all the same to putting the satirist Chris Morris on a pedestal. I'm not alone. "He has this reputation as the dark lord of comedy, this godlike presence," the Peep Show writer Sam Bain once said. Along with Hicks, Morris has an iconic status among discerning comedy fans as an artist whose best work pushes beyond mere laugh-generation to speak striking, unflinching truths about the world.

Another similarity between Hicks and Morris, another reason why their elevated status is so perfectly preserved, is that they were both cut off in their prime. Hicks by death; Morris, because he just stopped doing it. OK, so he's been operational in the past dozen years, making a Bafta-winning short film, co-writing the Channel 4 sitcom Nathan Barley, and writing and directing the suicide-bombing farce Four Lions. But as a comedy performer, there's been almost nothing since the 2001 Brass Eye paedophile special that sparked tabloid outrage and cemented his status as the most breathtakingly militant comic critic of our media-dumbshow culture.

But now he's back. First of all, making a rare stage appearance with Stewart Lee at the Royal Festival Hall last weekend, then being revealed as the co-star of the new series of Lee's Comedy Vehicle BBC show. Morris was already script editor on the show; now he is to take over Armando Iannucci's onscreen role as "hostile interrogator", posing questions to Lee between the show's standup segments. It's a tantalising prospect: Morris is one of the few men alive who can out-deadpan Lee, his bloodless poker face making the upward-twitching corners of Lee's mouth seem like a Coco the Clown grin by comparison.

So might this toe-in-the-water return to performing comedy justify hope of a proper Morris comeback? How our comedy, and our culture, crave a satirist with that fire in his belly, that moral indignation, that fearlessness and insight. It's a commonplace nowadays to say of this contemporary phenomenon or that instance of collective delirium (the royal wedding, the Olympics, the death of Margaret Thatcher) that they're crying out for the Brass Eye treatment. Which tells its own story about how toothless much mainstream "satire" has become. (On their 2011 tour, Punt and Dennis were advertising themselves as "kings of satire", which says it all, really.)

The likelihood is, these Comedy Vehicle cameos will allow just a glimpse of the great man, before he retreats back into the shadows. Which is fair enough. He's moved on from Brass Eye, his interests now lie elsewhere. Maybe we should be glad Morris isn't hanging around, diluting the industrial strength of his burlesque, sullying the memories. But I won't be able to look at that inscrutable-bordering-on-malevolent mug on the small screen without wishing Morris was back wreaking his devilment on Britain circa 2014, which needs his brand of tough love now more urgently than ever.

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2014/feb/20/chris-morris-comeback-stewart-lee-comedy-vehicle

Thomas

I'd like to see how Morris responds to people describing him as having a 'fire in his belly, that moral indignation, that fearlessness and insight.'

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I like the fact that an article about the start of his 'comeback' ends with the acceptance that he probably won't be coming back.

NoSleep

Hahaha What a willy.
Sure, us here are huge fans, but you wouldn't catch me writing such a ridiculously hyperbolic and just plain silly and needless non-story for the Guardian.
And I could, because I've got a lot of clout.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Thomas on February 20, 2014, 04:47:09 PM
I'd like to see how Morris responds to people describing him as having a 'fire in his belly, that moral indignation, that fearlessness and insight.'

Indeed - I can't see him nodding his head and thinking 'Too right - I'm so Moneysupermarket.com'.

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on February 20, 2014, 04:56:27 PM
I like the fact that an article about the start of his 'comeback' ends with the acceptance that he probably won't be coming back.

Yup - wonder if that was the sub that wrote that.