Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:05:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Favourite Morris lines

Started by Artemis, February 20, 2014, 11:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

"..like builders for example, or blacks"

Retinend

Of course -

FACT ME TIL I FART

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Thomas on February 22, 2014, 11:33:13 PM
The delivery of that particular line is amazing. I think you can him laugh when he says 'yes' and later repeats the question. Also 'he's my father, he's lying down.'

I think that may be the only recorded example of Morris corpsing. But his stifled laughter is hardly surprising, as it's one of the funniest "prank" phone calls he ever did.

Thomas

Well, except for that Brass Eye fade shot, where he appears to break into laughter.

He does laugh a lot during the Paul Garner bits, but I'll have to listen out for any more 'character' breakings. It'll give me something to do, I suppose.

eluc55

Morris corpses quite a few times in the Radio 1 shows, I think. Especially during the Garner bits and the prank calls. The bit that I remember most vividly is when he breaks down into full on laughter during the Garner Hotel call. Certainly that's the most I've ever heard Morris corpse.

EDIT:

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAufVbI9Dl8

Listening now, he can be heard laughing throughout the whole thing - and someone else, too; Baynham maybe?

Man, that clip is absolutely glorious. My all time favourite Garner clip.

Artemis

Quote from: Thomas on February 22, 2014, 11:33:13 PM
Another that always makes me laugh is 'what are you tryna do?' at 1:05 -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC3c2a4dbcI

"Yeah, listen - no 9:30". "I'm just not opening the fader - I've had it". "Bloody guitar!"

Wonderful.

Artemis

Quote from: eluc55 on February 24, 2014, 01:52:49 AM
My all time favourite Garner clip.

It's great but nothing will beat the Garner/taxi driver clip, for me. It was partly the brilliance that it managed to go out on a boxing day mid-afternoon, and partly that Garner was obviously shit faced at the time. It felt genuinely anarchic, that anything could kick off - it was already obvious that Morris or his producers had pulled something of a fast one in that anyone with the power to pull the show would have done had they known the content, and with that in mind, it felt like anything might have happened before anyone else realised. It was a thrill to listen to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQEX2qL_YHI

EDIT: Listening again, it's great to hear Morris lose it at "I hope you never get out of the wreckage, you old bastard!"

Mobius

Andrew Collin(g)s mentions going to art college with a Paul Garner, is it the same guy? I honestly thought for a long time Morris had just stumbled across him.

I still listen to these once every few weeks sat at my desk at work and it's incredible. I was only about 9 when it first was on the radio but even having heard these recordings a hundred times nothing really comes close in terms of being so chaotic and feeling so live and fresh.

Darwin's Tripods is my favourite bit I think

"Oh Enoch. Horror Deaths Stench Hairbosh"

"fused and carbonised, as never they were meant to be"

Old Nehamkin

Take her off the monitor I don't want to see her face.

Thomas

'You're allowed to be worried because it's about your body.'

Paul Garner asking 'why the police?' makes me laugh, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQEX2qL_YHI

EDIT - You can hear Morris gigglin' at the answerphone music in this, at 3:16.

Hangthebuggers

Luckily, the amount of heroin I use is harmless, I inject about once a month on a purely recreational basis. Fine. But what about other people less stable, less educated, less middle-class than me? Builders or blacks for example. If you're one of those, my advice is leave well alone. Good luck.

Homosexuals can't swim, they attract enemy radar, they attract sharks, they insist on being placed at "the captain's table", they get up late, they nudge people whilst they're shooting. They muck about.

The delivery of "muck about" cracks me up every time.

Thomas

I'm not sure how much is down to Bain and Armstrong, but I like Omar's goodbye to his wife in Four Lions. The police officer remarking 'You're gonna die in that gear lads', too.

hahaha my least favourite was the one I had to wait in at the Four Lions screening!
HAHAHAHA

checkoutgirl

"It's in a jar mate"

"How funny is it? ....Bury the beds"

checkoutgirl

"Footinthedoorholebuttonstepping"

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Spiteface on February 21, 2014, 07:06:11 PM
"...armed with a special gun"

I just love the idea that it's a "special" gun.

Beat me to it.  Again, more than half of it is in the intonation.[nb]To be pedantic, it WOULD be a special gun, i.e., a bolt gun, rather than something like a revolver or a rifle.  That doesn't make it less funny.  And perhaps it's a special bolt gun, aaaaahhh![/nb]

While we're here, "Churches, Churches, Churches."

grassbath

Thomas

'Several conversations had started by the time I'd got to that bit.'

There's also a great line about 'the "b" of her "because"' interrupting his own dialogue. That specificity of detail makes me smile every time.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Thomas on February 28, 2014, 06:15:59 PM
'Several conversations had started by the time I'd got to that bit.'

There's also a great line about 'the "b" of her "because"' interrupting his own dialogue. That specificity of detail makes me smile every time.

"The 'zz' of my 'noise' was cut off by the 'buc' of her 'because'."

Artemis

"Is then now? Is now now? Well soon it won't be Peter"

Thomas

'I was working like a black.'

I can see why Wayne Carr is Neil's favourite Morris character. I laugh as soon as he begins to speak.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: clingfilm portent on February 28, 2014, 09:54:58 PM
"Is then now? Is now now? Well soon it won't be Peter"

For some reason, I like the way his accent becomes oddly transatlantic at that line.

"Well soon it won't be, Peeder."

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: clingfilm portent on February 24, 2014, 08:10:45 PM
Christ's fat cock how I ached.

What actually happened with that line? apparently he didn't actually say it to Cliff Richard on the phone (as reported) but it was said.

I think I remember reading that in an interview once. I think.

Thomas

It featured in one of his brilliant 'letters from a listener'. This one, I believe -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yoa1-aq4QM

He said 'cock naked' in his conversation with Cliff. Some article somewhere conflated the two, resulting in the unfunny-sounding and oft repeated idea of Morris 'shouting' 'Christ's fat cock' down the line.

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on March 01, 2014, 12:45:57 PM
For some reason, I like the way his accent becomes oddly transatlantic at that line.

"Well soon it won't be, Peeder."

There's a Classic Morris Roar in the episode with dead Johnny Walker. "You'll slap his face off! You'll slap it off! PETARRRRRGH!". I can't think of that without laughing.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I believe 'Christ's Fat Cock' is also used as Morris' appalled reaction to Wayne Carr's Listen Without Prejudice intro to episode three. He obviously had a soft spot for the phrase.

leterel

"...while they were tracking a man who'd buggered a heron"

I honestly can't think of any single moment in any comedy show that's caught me off guard so much