Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:06:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'Heroes' to return in 2015.

Started by Deanjam, February 23, 2014, 12:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanjam

13 part series. I'm guessing with a new cast. Unfortunately, Tim Kring is still running it.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni56839773/?ref_=hm_nw_tp_t1

Gulftastic

Fingers crossed that the cheerleader is still snogging the lass out off of 'The Nanny'.

vrailaine

24 was restarted there a while back too, Dallas as well.

Is this some kind of awful new trend?

Canted_Angle

Heroes was the most disappointing waste of time I've ever spent on a show - the first series was a great set up and romp through super powers with a few characters with alot of promise and then it was just down hill. What was the point of the mexican siblings? It had no direction and floundered with absolutely no wrap up. Will this continue from where they left off or is this a reboot? I say bring back the X-files. Dave and Gillian arent doing much are they and Chris hasn't done anything in quite some time. 

Deanjam

Heroes was damaged by the writer's strike, which caused them to change their plans for series 2. Also, the characters never grew or changed beyond series 1. Every week someone died, only to be brought back to life. So silly.

I'd love X-Files to return, even just as a TV movie. Carter's just started a new shoe called 'The After', but God knows if that'll even run. Anderson is ridiculously busy, but I'm guessing would be up for a return. And Duchovny's Californication comes to an end this year, so he'd be available.

BritishHobo

Is this inspirrd by the buzz over the upcoming 24: Live Another Day?

It was fucking horrible for a good long time there in the middle, but I really think they got things back on track by the final season. Not up to its original level of quality, but close.

They seem to be saying that it'll mostly be a new cast, which on one hand will be interesting, but on the other, will people be arsed?

Famous Mortimer

Like a lot of people, I abandoned it midway through season 2, which was just awful; a few friends say it was decent at the end, but I seem to recall the final season being the worst-rated show in the history of the AV Club (before season 1 of the The Following) and lots of other pop culture sites being fairly delighted it was gone.

If you're going to effectively start again, why not buy "Invincible" or some other indie comic like that? Isn't "Heroes" kind of a discredited brand by now?

Custard

After Arrested Development finally happened, I can't think of many shows I'd really love to see return now.

Rome could've done with an extra season, but that wrapped up well. Maybe Deadwood, but surely too much time has passed?

I'd still love to see a third season and wrap-up for Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, but I reckon Lena Headey is a bit busy, what with that other show there.

I only lasted 3 episodes with Heroes. Keep considering giving it a proper go, as the complete boxset is always going pretty cheap, but hearing it's all downhill from season one, which I didn't connect with in the first place, kinda puts me off.

Famous Mortimer

Even season 1 has some hefty problems - the seemingly endless quest of Hiro to get that sword, for one. It felt like it went on for about half the season.

madhair60

HappyTree

I liked Heroes, all of it. They had some issues with one main character becoming too powerful, but then all superhero stories have to deal with ways of crippling the super powers, or else there's no suspense. Thumbs up from me!

The Duck Man

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 23, 2014, 02:38:05 PM
Is this inspirrd by the buzz over the upcoming 24: Live Another Day? They seem to be saying that it'll mostly be a new cast, which on one hand will be interesting, but on the other, will people be arsed?
If I were a 24 fan but I'd be somewhat concerned about the casting of Stephen Fry as the British Prime Minister. Tends to be a bit of a go-to when productions want to do a broad toff stereotype.

kidsick5000

It would be good if they did some honest advertising.

Heroes Reborn: Because it was actually pretty good in season 1

Heroes Reborn: We gave you Spock and Hayden Panettiere. Not all bad, right?

Heroes Reborn: Remember how Peter took the love of his life to a future dystopia but had to come back without her and then changed the future so that she could never be rescued but then we forgot to make him react to it in any way because we, er, forgot all about her? Yeah, good times.

SteveDave

Heroes Reborn: Save The Cheerleader Again (Again)

Melodichaze

Hooray! I really enjoyed Heroes all the way through. Hoping for some more Sylar action.
May have to dig out the box sets to rewatch and refamiliarise myself.

If only they would bring back Carnivale now - left on a cliffhanger for frickin' eternity

Artemis

Heroes was a colossal disappointment, and victim of a badly judged sequence of flash forwards. You simply can't tease an exciting future if the journey to get there isn't exciting itself. If you do, your show will dawdle along testing the patience of everyone who's watching to see it get to 'the good bit'. Season one was a good set up, but it became a mess. I won't bother with the return unless critical acclaim persuades me otherwise.

BritishHobo

Quote from: The Duck Man on February 23, 2014, 07:02:37 PM
If I were a 24 fan but I'd be somewhat concerned about the casting of Stephen Fry as the British Prime Minister. Tends to be a bit of a go-to when productions want to do a broad toff stereotype.

Is that actually a thing? I'm slowly meandering my way through the rest of the show at the moment, but that alone makes me want to go straight to the new episodes. That sounds fucking brilliant, even for a show as batshit ludicrous as 24.

BritishHobo

They did start to lean on the 'heroes learn of fucked up future' hook a bit too much in the middle seasons, to the point that one volume had Hiro jump randomly into the future, coincidentally land at the exact moment that a world-shattering apocalypse occurs (hyped for ages by random paintings of the world splitting in two appearing in the background of various scenes), go back to stop it, and then get caught up in various other plots, the apocalypse simply falling by the wayside.

I've been reading about how it was originally pitched as an anthology series, where each 'volume' would follow a different cast of characters, like American Horror Story. But the first season and its cast were so popular (and it was genuinely a real phenomenon, wasn't it?) that they decided to stick with them. That would have been far better, since what made the show interesting was, along with LOST, the varied stories and characters, rather than just having some stock bell-ends fighting bad guys. The start of season 2 was promising in that respect - the Hurricane Katrina victim who could mimic people, the Mexican twins who wanted to reach bore-fest Mohinder's father, but the writer's strike meant that they all came to nothing, or just disappeared altogether.

Bad Ambassador

The first season was only any good because it was knocked off from Watchmen. Season 2 was a mess and I gave up during S3. Tim Kring was clearly making it up as he went along, and was nowhere near a good enough writer to make that work.

I imagine the upcoming Veronica Mars film might be a contributing factor.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Melodichaze on February 23, 2014, 09:11:42 PM
Hooray! I really enjoyed Heroes all the way through. Hoping for some more Sylar action.
May have to dig out the box sets to rewatch and refamiliarise myself.

I doubt Quinto would come back now given his profile, which I've mixed feelings about. Sylar was one of the few characters they found fun things to do with throughout the series, but I've no real urge to see if he sticks with being a good guy or not.

QuoteIf only they would bring back Carnivale now - left on a cliffhanger for frickin' eternity

I loved that show to pieces too, but it seems unlikely to return. Daniel Knauf wanted to continue it in either novel or comics form, but HBO were really shitty about it and refused to allow him to. I know he hoped for years he may be able to sort things out, but last year seemed to all but give up, and revealed various major plot points (including the ending) that he had planned out:  http://www.avclub.com/article/daniel-knauf-tells-us-his-plan-for-the-end-of-icar-92877

NoSleep

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 23, 2014, 10:41:38 PM
I've been reading about how it was originally pitched as an anthology series, where each 'volume' would follow a different cast of characters, like American Horror Story.

Perhaps this is where we go from here. A much better idea and could have worked the first time, too. We didn't need a previous series to like series 1 the best, so why not?

BritishHobo

There was also to be a sort-of spin-off series called 'Heroes: Origins' which would've dedicated each episode to a separate new character and their struggle with the power they'd developed. At the end of the season, there would have been vote for which of the characters would join the main show. Kevin Smith was down to direct an episode, and the writers of Heroes Magazine, which I spent far, far too much money on, were banging on about it for months and months until the writer's strike saw it killed before it even went into production.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on February 24, 2014, 12:19:27 AM
The first season was only any good because it was knocked off from Watchmen.

I really can't remember or think how it could be considered knocked off of Watchmen.

Even the first season was pretty annoying. Lots of foreshadowing and teasing but sod all actual payoff.

Famous Mortimer

Heroes: We Hope You Never Heard An Actual Irish Accent Before

I agree with the people who wanted an anthology thing - when they didn't kill Sylar off at the end of the first season, I knew it was just going to commit the same crimes comics have been guilty of since forever.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 24, 2014, 07:37:41 AM
Heroes: We Hope You Never Heard An Actual Irish Accent Before

Oh good god yes. Thats a memory I managed to bury until now

non capisco

"Dis crate is full of oiiiiiii-pods!"

phantom_power

This could be good. A new set of characters means they can forget about the blind alleys, shit character development and everything else that marred the original series and go back to a strong, self-contained story like the first season. Hopefully they have learnt from the mistakes of the past so they don't repeat them.

NoSleep

Quote from: MojoJojo on February 24, 2014, 07:32:09 AM
I really can't remember or think how it could be considered knocked off of Watchmen.

Even the first season was pretty annoying. Lots of foreshadowing and teasing but sod all actual payoff.

Which was good, if only they had changed gear for the 2nd series (having decided to stick with the cast of the 1st). But they decided to carry on with the foreshadowing, etc. The 1st series promised so much more.

kidsick5000

Quote from: NoSleep on February 24, 2014, 12:19:40 PM
The 1st series promised so much more.

And audiences were much more tolerant at that point. I don't know if the grand arc/many secrets way is going to work now. Shows seem to favour an episodic approach with a lighter arc in the background eg Arrow.