Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:19:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'Heroes' to return in 2015.

Started by Deanjam, February 23, 2014, 12:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glitch

Quote from: Shameless Custard on February 23, 2014, 04:38:16 PM
After Arrested Development finally happened, I can't think of many shows I'd really love to see return now.

I'd agree with you on Deadwood and Sarah Connor Chronicles. I wish Carnivale would be given another chance, even if it was HBO releasing the property so it could be made into a graphic novel or something.

Quote from: HappyTree on February 23, 2014, 05:26:58 PM
I liked Heroes, all of it. They had some issues with one main character becoming too powerful, but then all superhero stories have to deal with ways of crippling the super powers, or else there's no suspense. Thumbs up from me!

Two, surely? Both Sylar and Petrelli had been given so many powers that they were practically gods and it felt that the writers had painted themselves into a corner. So many plot points relied on either character "forgetting" that they already had the perfect power to get them out of that particular problem.

NoSleep

Quote from: kidsick5000 on February 24, 2014, 02:34:16 PM
And audiences were much more tolerant at that point. I don't know if the grand arc/many secrets way is going to work now. Shows seem to favour an episodic approach with a lighter arc in the background eg Arrow.

Episodic could work with a disparate group of heroes. But I have to disagree about grand arcs, especially with something like Game of Thrones (Medieval Heroes if it's anything at all) doing so well.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: glitch on February 24, 2014, 02:38:19 PM
Two, surely? Both Sylar and Petrelli had been given so many powers that they were practically gods and it felt that the writers had painted themselves into a corner. So many plot points relied on either character "forgetting" that they already had the perfect power to get them out of that particular problem.
This.

It's all in the writing, really. If they learn from before, then I'm a huge geek so I'll no doubt get sucked back in.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 24, 2014, 07:37:41 AM
Heroes: We Hope You Never Heard An Actual Irish Accent Before

I agree with the people who wanted an anthology thing - when they didn't kill Sylar off at the end of the first season, I knew it was just going to commit the same crimes comics have been guilty of since forever.

That was definitely the moment that they decided to fuck off their idea of a realistic superhero story and delve into the sort of shit comics need to get away from. Refusing to let any favourite characters die, even if favourite characters actually had died, meaning they had to come up with increasingly shit and tiresome ways to bring them back from the dead. Adding more and more and more backstory until basically all the characters who were new to the situation in season 1 were all already involved in hugely contrived ways. Backstories that they couldn't even keep consistent (and at least comic book writers are doing it over decades and hundreds of issues - here they were barely halfway through season three before they were shitting all over their own mythology).

HappyTree

Yes ok both Sylar and Petrelli were overcharged. I guess I omitted Sylar from the walk of shame because I thought he was handled far better. Yes, like most superheroes in most things, he doesn't bother to use something that would make his life far easier. But he did have some interesting psychological reasons for doing this and that, limiting himself, etc. Petrelli was just a poor character from the word go.

The absolute nadir of superpower plotting due to a character being too powerful is Jane Grey in XMEN 3. From what I've seen anyway.

Jerzy Bondov

I hated the way Sylar was always having a go at his husband and trying to get him to stop dealing drugs etc. Just took all the wind out of the show's sails imho

chand

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on February 25, 2014, 04:27:51 PM
I hated the way Sylar was always having a go at his husband and trying to get him to stop dealing drugs etc. Just took all the wind out of the show's sails imho

Think you need to examine your prejudices towards supernatural serial killers tbh, Sylar's actions are almost always justified given the position he's been put in.

BritishHobo

NoSleep

I think it would make it more interesting if the varieties of super powers included some that were barely registerable (people sweat a bit near you, ironed shirts go wrinkly, tea doesn't brew properly, pens don't work very well) or half-formed and disabling or dysfunctional. It just seems a little too convenient that each person gets a single clearly defined super power; as if it was being intelligently managed from afar. Surely there should be a more random distribution of mutations. Otherwise it's just magic, like in Game Of Thrones.

HappyTree

HRG was one of the best characters/actors. As long as he doesn't say "Clare Bear" ever again he'll be roight.

Mister Six

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 02, 2015, 03:47:23 AM
Superbowl Teaser Trailer.

Specs is back. WILL YOU BE?!

So the kid's power is the ability to create Christmas Coke commercials?

I love the look of consternation on Horn-Rimmed Glasses' guy's face - 'Can you believe how shit this green-screen is?'

Who's the bloke with the binoculars? Was he in the original show? I gave up after the dreadful second season, so I assume if he was, he appeared later on.

BritishHobo

Nah, from what I've read I think he's a new bloke. HRG appears to be the only confirmed returnee so far. I suppose it makes sense - if they wanted to keep a connection to the old seasons while still having a mostly fresh cast, he's the absolute perfect character to bring back.

Chairman Yang

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 03, 2015, 12:28:53 AM
Nah, from what I've read I think he's a new bloke. HRG appears to be the only confirmed returnee so far. I suppose it makes sense - if they wanted to keep a connection to the old seasons while still having a mostly fresh cast, he's the absolute perfect character to bring back.

Not forgetting the return of Ali Larter as Yet Another Twin; an entirely new Hero who's power is the ability to shapeshift into Ali Larter and of course Ali Larter in an amazing performance that will leave you asking 'has she been fucking Tim Kring for the past 5 years?'

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Mister Six on February 03, 2015, 12:23:01 AM
So the kid's power is the ability to create Christmas Coke commercials?
It seems useless, until you get run over by a fleet of red lorries[nb]yellow lorries. Red Lorry. Yellow Lorry...[/nb]

BritishHobo

Hiro Nakamura is back!

Which is a good shout, because he was quite obviously the highlight for almost everyone when the show was first on.

pigamus

I never really got it to be honest. I mean, there was like, a really small Dairy Milk. And then a really small Twirl. And then another really small Twirl. And then a really small Fudge. And then two really small Crunchies. And then another really small Dairy Milk again.

It just never seemed to go anywhere.

BritishHobo

mjwilson

robotam

I rewatched Heroes recently and in season 4  they had a few people start (spoilers for who the returning character is)
Spoiler alert
saying René when talking to him. Otherwise throughout the whole show he was referred to as "the Haitian". That's a bit weird, right? They knew his name, why not use it?
[close]

BritishHobo

It does seem a bit weird. I know they wanted to keep mystique, but obliquely referring to him by his nationality is a strange decision, especially considering that like Lost it was trying to tell a variety of stories from a variety of cultural backgrounds.

So old Matty Parkmans is back. Kinda suspecting they'll be in side roles, assisting the newer characters who take prominence.

Reborn is an interesting choice of subtitle for a miniseries that obviously isn't a reboot.

monolith

Hiro was the best Hero so I'm glad he is in the new Heroes.

kitsofan34

Matt Parkman is one of my least favourite creations in pop culture history.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

He doesn't even have any park powers.

Mister Six

I'd forgotten who he was entirely until I clicked on that link and realised he was Fat Keanu Reeves (although he appears to be morphing into Fat Karl Urban these days).

This is going to be shit, isn't it?

The Roofdog

The craziest thing about bringing this bag of shite back is it's been done so much better multiple times now (Chronicle, Powers, Misfits). The only thing Heroes ever had going for it was it came first (on TV at least).

NoSleep

Smallville had "meteor freaks" at least 5 years ahead of Heroes, so it didn't even come first.

phantom_power

The first season is still one of the best seasons of TV in recent years, despite the fumble at the end. The legacy has been shit on in subsequent seasons but hopefully going back to the drawing board will recapture the magic of that first year

BritishHobo

I still really like season 4. Once they remembered that they did better focusing on ordinary characters and their situations rather than big grand mythology and an endless maze of complex backstories, it improved greatly. And the guy from the carnival was a pretty interesting villain.

The biggest problem with season 2 seemed to be the idea that repeating what season 1 did would be the best way to retain all the praise the were getting. So while viewers were expecting more connections between the characters we'd waited so long to see meet, they ended up scattering them again and repeating the build-up.

Considering how much shit the show gets to this day for the seasons following the first, I'm hopeful that they're a bit more aware of what they're doing.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 25, 2015, 12:53:09 AM
I still really like season 4. Once they remembered that they did better focusing on ordinary characters and their situations rather than big grand mythology and an endless maze of complex backstories, it improved greatly. And the guy from the carnival was a pretty interesting villain.

The biggest problem with season 2 seemed to be the idea that repeating what season 1 did would be the best way to retain all the praise the were getting. So while viewers were expecting more connections between the characters we'd waited so long to see meet, they ended up scattering them again and repeating the build-up.

Considering how much shit the show gets to this day for the seasons following the first, I'm hopeful that they're a bit more aware of what they're doing.

Yeah, I was quite fond of Season 4 as well, I wasn't going to bother initially after the horror that was season 3, but heard rumours it had improved a bit. Like you say, Carnival Villain bloke made it all a lot more fun, and with the shorter run there weren't too many filler episodes.

I'm not convinced Kring can recreate the magic of season 1(tm), not after seeing bits of his more recent tv output. Still, you never know.

BritishHobo

Right. All you miserly cynical bastards, you Doubting Thomases, you can cast away your every doubt about this new season and look to it with fresh hope and excitement, born anew.

Because MOHINDER IS BACK, YO.