Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:58:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'Heroes' to return in 2015.

Started by Deanjam, February 23, 2014, 12:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monolith

Normal Mohinder or Fly wannabe Mohinder?

Small Man Big Horse

I'm out either way.[nb]Unless the reviews are good. Then I'd be a fool to miss it.[/nb]

BritishHobo

Here's your full trailer, and with it confirmation of the return of Heroes' most important and fundamental character -
Spoiler alert
wanky, meaningless voiceovers.
[close]

HRG tells us in far more words than are necessary that 'it's sad when you've made mistakes in your past', and at one point someone dramatically exclaims 'It's coming! And when it does... EVERYTHING WILL CHANGE!'

And yet I'm still somehow excited. Fool me once and all that, but I think the idea's pretty cool, and I'm excited for a new, varied cast (plus some old returns, clearly in side roles) - that whole format, which Lost and original Heroes seemed to be ushering in, never really took off outside of those shows.

Small Man Big Horse

Huh, that does look kind of interesting, surprisingly. I presumed it'd be some sort of vague reboot but it seems to follow the end of season 4, with Clare outing herself as a superhero, only for that to have gone horribly wrong. It's an interesting idea, given that it was supposed to be a hopefully optimistic ending originally, but that said, it's still Tim Kring, so I'm still very guarded about all of this.

BritishHobo

Urgh, I've had a pretty enormous thing spoiled for me regarding this upcoming miniseries. Obviously I don't yet know when it will be established (for all I know it could be the opening shot), but it seems a safe bet to assume that it's something that would be used as a significant character moment towards the end of the first couple of episodes.

I'll mention it here, but I will warn for the very small number of people who are unironically interested in the new season that it's possibly a MASSIVE FUCKING Spoiler, and it's that
Spoiler alert
Claire has died off-screen in the intervening years.
[close]
Now I'll wait and see, but given the way Heroes likes to keep things close to its chest, I would imagine that would be something we don't find out for a couple of episodes,
Spoiler alert
deliberately keeping us in the dark regarding exactly how HrG's life has gone since the finale.
[close]

monolith

So... Thoughts? Special effects are diabolical but then they weren't ever amazing.

Spoiler alert
Bit gutted that Hiro is only going to be in 3 episodes but grateful we will only have one episode with Matt Parkman.
[close]

I'm going to stick with it because I like Gordon Freeman but I'm not particularly optimistic.

Oh, and I hate Suresh.

Edit: Thinking about it, maybe this should have been a new thread...

Phil_A

I was just thinking the only thing this is missing is the pretentious narration, and bang on cue there's fucking
Spoiler alert
Mohinder.
[close]

"The future's coming, everything will change, blah de blah de blah". It's just the same old meaningless portentous nonsense as ever, the kind of thing that hack fraud writers use to disguise the fact that they're playing with an empty hand.

It really does appear Tim Kring has learnt absolutely nothing from the mistakes of the original series, because he hasn't changed a thing. It's as if he's sat down with his production team and said "Okay, let's not bother taking into account what worked and what didn't before, lets just do the exact same again and hope it works out this time."

Small Man Big Horse

Only watched the first episode so far, which was all over the place and yet still a bit dull. I get that they needed to introduce a lot of characters, but none of them really appealed to me, and the only storyline I found myself interested in was Noah's.

NoSleep

Has everybody given up on this? It's been improving by the episode, or perhaps some things are now starting to make sense. I thought the last two episodes were excellent and I actually give a fuck about what comes next. Presuming some of you have abandoned it, I won't bother to discuss plot strands or details as yet. Anyone else still watching?

monolith

Quote from: NoSleep on October 31, 2015, 06:07:38 PM
Has everybody given up on this? It's been improving by the episode, or perhaps some things are now starting to make sense. I thought the last two episodes were excellent and I actually give a fuck about what comes next. Presuming some of you have abandoned it, I won't bother to discuss plot strands or details as yet. Anyone else still watching?
Totally forgot about it despite finding the first couple of episodes at least vaguelly promising.

So it gets better? Will get on it.

Marv Orange

NoSleep

Long time no see, Marv.

Oh yes, it has.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm quite enjoying it, which has come as a big surprise, it's by no means faultless but they're moving at a decent enough pace, the cast are largely decent, and only Chuck from Chuck is absolutely rubbish, but that's due to poor writing than the performance itself. It's nice to see old characters used efficiently too, though I groaned when Mohinder turned up even he wasn't too irritating for once. Again, it's nothing special, but given Tim Kring's work bar Heroes Season One, it's a pleasant surprise that it's fairly entertaining stuff.

NoSleep

Even Chuck from Chuck's part is starting to make a little more sense, even though it remains the weakest thread in the series.

NoSleep

Damn... this is still proving to be worth watching and I was looking for this week's episode, then I found, on the NBC website, the message "returns on January 7", so that's it for now. But there's only 3 more episodes!

Small Man Big Horse

Gah, that's bloody annoying, I'm enjoying it a lot too but to have such a break just before it ends is ridiculous, it'll lose all the momentum it's gained.

NoSleep

Just a bump to remind everyone that this returns on Thursday night (or "Friday morning" as we have come to know it) for the first of the remaining three episodes. Katana Girl!

NoSleep

Quote from: NoSleep on January 04, 2016, 10:32:42 AM
Spoiler alert
Katana Girl!
[close]

Spoiler alert
Damn.[nb]
Spoiler alert
She went out in a blaze, though.
[close]
[/nb]
[close]

Looks like it all kicks off next week.

Small Man Big Horse

The momentum's been completely lost due to the massive break, it's really annoying. As is Chuck from Chuck's terrible acting, and it's also a shame that black clone fella's dead, I really liked him. Still, hopefully it'll end with all of humanity being wiped out, as apparently ratings have been pretty poor and it's unlikely the show will come back a third time.

Small Man Big Horse

Officially dead:

You did it, America. For the second time in history, your general indifference/active distaste for Heroes has convinced NBC to pull the plug on a show that was once the hottest thing on TV. This comes from The Hollywood Reporter, which says that NBC Entertainment chairman Bob Greenblatt officially announced today that Heroes Reborn will not be renewed for a second season. Greenblatt also says that ending the revived show after one year was "always the plan," but it's not like NBC wouldn't have found a way to keep it going if it had been a huge ratings hit. In fact, THR notes that series creator Tim Kring apparently had multiple different ideas for how to continue the show once the initial Heroes Reborn storylines were done, but now we'll never get to see those ideas played out—unless NBC decides to reboot the show again in a few years.

http://www.avclub.com/article/heroes-reborn-dead-and-it-isnt-coming-back-230707

NoSleep

I think saving the world as we know it will probably be a hard act to follow (just like a sequel to FFVII) so I'm not too pissed off about closure. I'm more puzzled that Kiki Sukezane (Katana Girl; the only genuine hero in the series) appears to have filmed an entire other English language TV series in 2013-14 (before Heroes) that has failed to surface anywhere:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Yokai_King

Can't find any trace of it, so far.

NoSleep

Well, the finale was what I expected (hard to properly
Spoiler alert
depict a battle between two three humans versus a planet-consuming solar flare
[close]
) but nonetheless satisfying, and they obviously stuck a gratuitous nod to a coming season at the close. The only thing I wasn't sure about was Tommy's instant judgement against Erica (a tragedy that she was not allowed to stand trial in the present day).

Incidentally, I've just noticed that the actor playing Erica, Rya Kihlstedt, is the sister of violinist/vocalist Carla Kihlstedt (of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum).

Oh, and Henry Zebrowski was rather good in this (as he is in Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell).

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: NoSleep on January 23, 2016, 12:23:06 PM
Well, the finale was what I expected (hard to properly
Spoiler alert
depict a battle between two three humans versus a planet-consuming solar flare
[close]
) but nonetheless satisfying, and they obviously stuck a gratuitous nod to a coming season at the close. The only thing I wasn't sure about was Tommy's instant judgement against Erica (a tragedy that she was not allowed to stand trial in the present day).

I don't know, I sort of enjoyed it, but like you say there were no real surprises, and it was fairly predictable stuff. Plus some of the cgi was shockingly bad. Still, could have been much worse, but I don't think I'd have bothered watching a second season if it had been commissioned. Tommy was okay at times, but Claire's daughter was terribly bland, and I've no interest in another plot line centering around them.

Oh, and Henry Zebrowski was rather good in this (as he is in Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell).

Yeah, I thought he was one of the highlights too. Even if he did remind me of Joss Whedon throughout.