Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:37:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Blue Jam played out on Radio 4 Extra

Started by tylereddyallen, February 26, 2014, 02:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

How much stuff did Matthews and Linehan contribute? Surely that article overstates their involvement?

Kane Jones

Quote from: Beagle 2 on February 26, 2014, 03:57:50 PM
How much stuff did Matthews and Linehan contribute? Surely that article overstates their involvement?

Hmm, not sure.  I would say "co-written by Peter Baynham with Graham Linehan and Arthur Mathews".  Baynham's contribution was pretty important, I think.

DJ Solid Snail

Based on what Linehan's said about it, I think they just suggested a few sketch ideas here and there. That third series 'Bowie's Romantic Dinners' sketch is theirs.

Beagle 2

Quote from: DJ Solid Snail on February 26, 2014, 04:22:33 PM
Based on what Linehan's said about it, I think they just suggested a few sketch ideas here and there. That third series 'Bowie's Romantic Dinners' sketch is theirs.

Ah blimey, I'd completely forgotten about that! It's definitely time to dig these out again.

Thomas

2014 (and the BBC) is going quite well, comedy-wise. I've been tuned into the overlapping stream of Weekly Wipe, House of Fools, and Inside No. 9, a stream soon to be joined by Comedy Vehicle, we've got these Blue Jam repeats, and Morris himself will be back on telly in just a few days. We might eventually get that third A Touch of Cloth instalment, too, the one with Karen Gillan. Plus Morrison Lard and I had our photo tuk with Stewie Lee a few weeks ago.

Ah.

Not to mention On the Hour being played by Kane Jones after his CaB radio show.[nb]that's Mondays, 7pm.[/nb]

Would anyone on here be able to grab some high-quality rips of these R4 Extra digital repeats and share them, or would it just be a case of trying to rip them from iPlayer after broadcast?

olliebean

Not sure if the Freeview stream or the iPlayer one will be better quality, but I'll probably be grabbing both.

Spiteface

Something came up in the chatroom a few days ago regarding these repeats.

Series 1, episode 6. Will that be "uncut", Bishops Lips sketch and everything?

DJ Solid Snail

They'll just air S2E1 instead. On the preview for episode one it says "1 of 5".

Spiteface

Fair enough. I seem to recall that S2E1 for the first 15 minutes was the same thing as S1E6 anyway, so S2E1 may well have been an edited version.

Phil_A

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on February 26, 2014, 07:40:47 PM
Would anyone on here be able to grab some high-quality rips of these R4 Extra digital repeats and share them, or would it just be a case of trying to rip them from iPlayer after broadcast?

Good question. Radio 4 Extra streams at 192kbps on Freeview & Freesat, and I think it's that's as high as it gets. An iplayer rip is not going to be more than 128, so probably not the best choice. DAB's even worse, as it's only 80kbps and in mono.

olliebean

Not as simple as that though; Freeview streams radio in mp2 format, whereas iPlayer uses the superior aac codec, so even with a lower bitrate iPlayer may be better.

Thomas

Shall we natter 'bout it here? Or in Comedy Chat? ahh it's on

I like that 'lorry splash' line. The image of hanging one's head over a kerb returns in one of the monologues - the one where he's sold his corneas, I think.

This 'Gun' monologue was played at the beginning of that Chris Morris symposium at Northumberland University, and plenty of laughs were had.

Subtle Mocking

Blue Jam is definitely my favourite thing Chris Morris has ever done.  Just an incredible piece of work.

Thomas

He used radio brilliantly, didn't he? Filled all its capacities right to bursting point.

Thomas

I like how this American character says 'quite a lot of money'.

Phil_A

Morris's discussion with that fella about how many celebrities could fit in a brain is one of my favourite things ever. "Half of St Francis, with Mother Theresa, as an alternative to Ronnie Corbett?"

Thomas

This looped Bjork is great for the background here.

Subtle Mocking

Still love those digitised Mac voices in the links.

Thomas

I think my favourite sting is the Chris Moyles one. 'God - I hope he heard them.' It's got a perfect depressing tone.

The one about Mark Goodier having a baby, too. I like the tenderness of the opening line.

Subtle Mocking

Incidentally, is anyone recording these?

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on February 28, 2014, 11:37:10 PM
Incidentally, is anyone recording these?

I was wondering that.  It'd be nice to have these without that horrible, abrasive Radio 1 "contains strong language which some people may find offensive" disclaimer jingle at the beginning ruining the vibe.

Thomas

I quite like hearing that. A historical detail.

And I love this bit, 'My Disposition'.

Subtle Mocking

Hopefully it'll be on iPlayer anyway, but I'd like to be sure that somebody's recording just in case.

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on February 28, 2014, 11:41:38 PM
Hopefully it'll be on iPlayer anyway, but I'd like to be sure that somebody's recording just in case.

There are about 3 Blue Jam threads floating around on here at the moment, and I'm pretty sure that in one of them, at least one person said they're going to capture these repeats.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on February 28, 2014, 11:43:08 PM
There are about 3 Blue Jam threads floating around on here at the moment, and I'm pretty sure that in one of them, at least one person said they're going to capture these repeats.

*itches nervously*

This sketch is very unsettling. "...You fat old cow!"

Thomas

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on February 28, 2014, 11:44:05 PM
This sketch is very unsettling. "...You fat old cow!"

QuoteIs that why you've abandoned satire this time?

'No, I just think of it as one more thing in the cupboard. Instead of pointing out the ridiculousness of public life, I'm doing it to the way people are privately. There's one sketch with this couple where the guy has amputated both his legs just to make his girlfriend's life a misery. They're trapped in a mutual loathing, but it works, they've reached a symbiosis where they both get something from it. I'd rather be doing that than pointing out how hopelessly cosmetic the Labour Party is. Anyway, I've never really thought of what I do as satire. I think of it as opening my mouth before I can shut it. What I do is rooted in ... intense stupidity.'

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/page,cabkbarticle/id,192.html

I appreciate the image the BBC have used for Blue Jam, just some water. The same picture's been used for a couple of swimming pool news stories, according to Google Image Search.