Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:26:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Blue Jam played out on Radio 4 Extra

Started by tylereddyallen, February 26, 2014, 02:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Subtle Mocking

Cybele's Reverie should have been huge.

Phil_A

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on February 28, 2014, 11:41:38 PM
Hopefully it'll be on iPlayer anyway, but I'd like to be sure that somebody's recording just in case.

Yep, I'm on it.

Thomas

Subtle Mocking

I don't bandy words like "sublime" around very much but, my God, Blue Jam deserves that description.

Subtle Mocking

Shame about the voiceover coming in during the fadeout, but should make for much higher quality recordings than the previous stuff we've had.

Wet Blanket

"Where is my disposition?"

Love that. Blue Jam has a much better balance of lighter sillier stuff among all the dark stuff compared to its grim TV equivalent

kaprisky

It's Friday night, 11pm, in bed, Radio 4 Extra via Freeview:

Purple Jam.

I was listening to it in bed last night too, via the iPlayer in the dark with headphones on.  Perfect.

Phil_A

Here, a thing. Hopefully this won't incur the wrath of Barry Admin.
https://soundcloud.com/infinitemiseryjumper/bjs1e1

Minor edits to expunge all trace of Arthur Smith.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Wet Blanket on March 01, 2014, 12:04:05 PM
"Where is my disposition?"

Love that. Blue Jam has a much better balance of lighter sillier stuff among all the dark stuff compared to its grim TV equivalent

This is always something I try to impress upon people who know the TV adaptation, but remain unfamiliar with the Radio version. I always cite the healing powers of the swimming builder - admittedly not ideal, as it goes a bit sinister towards the end, but the basic premise is just a lovely silly notion. Bowie's Romantic dinners is another purely whimsical sketch.

A story that I've seen repeated on this site by many different individuals throughout the years, is how much the radio shows helped them when they were going through their own 'blue jam', depression or dark times. I had a similar experience myself - I found the show and this site at roughly the point I was diagnosed with severe depression - CaB does seem to act as a tractor beam for damaged psyches - and I can't tell you how much Blue Jam helped me through those early weeks. Something about the tone made me feel less alone and the hypnotic mix of music helped keep my mind distracted and focused on something.

It'll be good to have some cleaner copies! What are the chances of the replaying the Music Shows, d'ya reckon? Zilch?

Thomas

Blue Jam's served me well, too. Very soothing. I wrote a bit about the series last night and submitted it to my student magazine superiors, but I fear I've given too much weight to the 'ooh it's dark and nightmarish' reputation. I even use the word 'nightmare'. Should've gone for 'dream'.

Sometimes listening to individual song after song makes me feel a bit disconnected, but putting on a radio show like this - or the Music Shows - is much more involving. The Music Shows always feel live, even if I'm listening to them at midday.

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on March 02, 2014, 12:30:27 AM
What are the chances of them replaying the Music Shows, d'ya reckon? Zilch?

Well, I never in a million years thought Blue Jam would realistically ever get repeated, but there it is happening right now. 

Radio 4 Extra's a really good station, and have previously repeated other Radio 1 comedy shows, including Fist Of Fun, some of the Armando Iannucci music shows and Simon Munnery's "Alan Parker" shows (which were an hour long and featured a lot of music), so I'd say it's now within the realms of possibility that the Morris Music Shows COULD be repeated at some point. 

It'd be great to hear repeats of the Lee & Herring Music Shows as well, as they were brilliant and much better than the Fist Of Fun radio show (in my opinion).

Benevolent Despot

It's just gorgeous. I downloaded the shows years ago from this site but have only listened to them sporadically since. A once weekly airing seems the perfect way to enjoy them - alone in the early hours at the weekends. Kisses for Radio 4 Extra.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on March 02, 2014, 12:40:13 AM
Well, I never in a million years thought Blue Jam would realistically ever get repeated, but there it is happening right now. 

Radio 4 Extra's a really good station, and have previously repeated other Radio 1 comedy shows, including Fist Of Fun, some of the Armando Iannucci music shows and Simon Munnery's "Alan Parker" shows (which were an hour long and featured a lot of music), so I'd say it's now within the realms of possibility that the Morris Music Shows COULD be repeated at some point. 

It'd be great to hear repeats of the Lee & Herring Music Shows as well, as they were brilliant and much better than the Fist Of Fun radio show (in my opinion).

Oh God, yeah. Listening to FoF after the Lee+Herring Music Shows does the former no favours. FoF sounds so atmospherically flat and rigid, compared to the more improvisational Music Shows. Lee and Herring work so much better with a looser[nb]Ha ha, looser![/nb] format.

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on February 28, 2014, 11:39:43 PM
I was wondering that.  It'd be nice to have these without that horrible, abrasive Radio 1 "contains strong language which some people may find offensive" disclaimer jingle at the beginning ruining the vibe.

Anyone reckon it was Morris himself doing these on the third series intros?  It doesn't particularly sound like him but the slightly sarcastic way he says "swear words" suggests it wasn't a genuine BBC warning.

DJ Solid Snail

Radio 4 Extra announced years and years ago (back when it was BBC7) that they planned to air all the Lee and Herring 1FM Shows, but sadly nothing ever came of it. I'd murder to have those in broadcast quality.

Thomas

Subtle Mocking

Being transgender, the 'baby trapped in a man's body' thing makes me really uncomfortable, though I'm sure no malice was meant by it. That Cardigans tune is lovely.

Subtle Mocking

Also, I've heard the name 'Corncrake' since Blue Jam. Mighty Boosh, perhaps?

Thomas

Hymenoptera

Possibly my favourite of all the monologues, this. Hence my name.

Thomas

My bit about Blue Jam was supposed to go up on the student magazine site on Monday, but no sign.

I'm going to have to mythically fill an office with helium, or sneak '____ is a cunt' into my next column.

Thomas

That's my gig already, really. They're very much shaped by the Blue Jam monologues. I try.

Horrible sounds in that sketch. Gruesome. It's a favourite of mine, this newsreader food one.

I love the "Bad Sex" sketches.  Especially because you can hear Kevin Eldon and Julia Davis trying to stifle laughter at the end of a couple of them. 

You do actually hear them start laughing at the very end of the "therapist in the bedroom diagnoses one of us as severely mentally ill" sex sketch.

Subtle Mocking

Oh Lori is such a gorgeous little song.

Thomas

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on March 07, 2014, 11:46:58 PM
I love the "Bad Sex" sketches.  Especially because you can hear Kevin Eldon and Julia Davis trying to stifle laughter at the end of a couple of them.

I noticed that today, listening to Blue Jam on the bus. I like Amon Tobin's 'Bad Sex' track, too, purdy catchy.