Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:11:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Blue Jam played out on Radio 4 Extra

Started by tylereddyallen, February 26, 2014, 02:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I do hope yer man Phil_A managed to grab a nice capture of tonight's episode.  Sterling work with last week's.   (On previous page).

Spiral King

Agreed. I was very pleased to upgrade my mp3 to FLAC, regardless of the lossy nature of radio in general. These new rips are much, much cleaner and less compressed than the 1997 rips generally.

Edit: I think this episode (or is it Episode 3?), in particular, has some pretty bad skips in the 192kbps mp3 rips that were floating around for the best part of 15 years. So, yeah, these new rips are well worth downloading.

Phil_A

My stream rip for this episode failed, unfortunately, so it'll have to be a get_iplayer rip. Although to be honest, I don't think there's any difference in quality - it'll still be 128kbps AAC.

olliebean

I have a perfect Freeview rip from last night that I could upload if anyone wants it, although frankly apart from a lower volume level I can't tell the difference between that and the iPlayer rip so I won't bother unless it's requested.

I initially tried getting an iPlayer rip for last week's (before Phil_A posted his on the previous page) using get_iPlayer but it was having none of it.  Couldn't get it to work.

Mind you, it was the first time I'd tried using get_iPlayer it so it was probably me doing it wrong.

Haven't tried again for this week's yet.

Thomas

Is the music in the intros original, or did Morris borrow it from somewhere?

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: Thomas on March 08, 2014, 01:08:25 PM

I'm pretty sure it's this reversed: http://youtu.be/PbHp-euz_N8?t=7m1s

There's also a snippet of the intro of Sly and the Family Stone's 'Time'.

DJ Solid Snail

Quote from: Thomas on March 08, 2014, 01:08:25 PM

It's basically a fiddled-with version of DJ Shadow's Stem/Long Stem (3:26 onwards) played backwards. There's also elements of Sly and the Family Stone's Time and the first few seconds of Africa Talks to You ''The Asphalt Jungle'', both from There's a Riot Goin' On. As it goes on it starts incorporating loads of other stuff, of course, but that's essentially what the series one theme is.

Edit: Beaten to it!

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on March 08, 2014, 12:07:52 PM
I initially tried getting an iPlayer rip for last week's (before Phil_A posted his on the previous page) using get_iPlayer but it was having none of it.  Couldn't get it to work.

Mind you, it was the first time I'd tried using get_iPlayer it so it was probably me doing it wrong.

Not necessarily... when I tried to get Episode 1 (on the following Weds or Thurs) it wasn't working either; said it was available but then the file couldn't be found.  The News Quiz Extra was doing the same thing.  Tried them again on the Friday morning and they were both fine.

Just done Episode 2 and that's fine too.

Thomas

Wrote this for the occasion, see if I might wangle some student interest -

Chris Morris' Blue Jam - radio at its very best

The line about 'meaning [being] more lucid than ever' is a bit clumsy, that's annoying me now. But we all make mistakes.

Spiral King

It's odd that no one commented on the episode as it went out this week. Was everyone really busy?

Anyway, looking forward to my weekly dose of high quality Blue Jam from  Phil_A. It's a shame about last week's rip going awry... as far as I could tell, there was not a huge drop in quality from the iPlayer rip, but the compression was tighter by about 20mb or so. So, I'm sure the freeview source is probably slightly better.

I do hope enough people are listening to justify playing Series 2 and 3 in the coming weeks.

I was listening as it went out last night.  One of my favourite episodes.
Have just tried to grab a download of it from get_iplayer and it still isn't playing ball for me.
Ho hum.

olliebean

Quote from: Spiral King on March 15, 2014, 04:33:01 PMIt's a shame about last week's rip going awry... as far as I could tell, there was not a huge drop in quality from the iPlayer rip, but the compression was tighter by about 20mb or so. So, I'm sure the freeview source is probably slightly better.

The compression is tighter, but it's also a much superior codec[nb]According to http://www.ffmpegx.com/audio.html, aac "provides an audio quality at 96 kbps which is slightly better than MP3 at 128 kbps and MP2 at 192 kbps."[/nb], so that's unlikely to have made a significant difference. It's 48kHz, 192kbps mp2 (Freeview) vs 44.1kHz, 128kbps aac (iPlayer). As I mentioned, I could upload last week's Freeview rip if anyone wants it.

idunnosomename

Made an appearance on Feedback on Friday about 10:40 in after John Humphreys talking a tremendous load of old shite. There is a fantastic miserable Scots git grumbling about it. Then Caroline Raphael comes on and prattles on and doesn't really say anything interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03xgswb

Spiral King

Quote from: olliebeanThe compression is tighter, but it's also a much superior codec, so that's unlikely to have made a significant difference. It's 48kHz, 192kbps mp2 (Freeview) vs 44.1kHz, 128kbps aac (iPlayer). As I mentioned, I could upload last week's Freeview rip if anyone wants it.

Well! That's me told then. Maybe iPlayer rips are preferred for the FLAC files in the future? I'm just upset there isn't a lossless source for radio in 2014. Storage is getting bigger, higher quality and high definition sources are more prevalent, but radio stays as this lossy low quality affair. It's upsetting that if we wanted truly lossless Blue Jam, we'd have to break into Auntie's archive and copy directly from the master tapes. Ah, well.

Quote from: idunnosomenameMade an appearance on Feedback on Friday about 10:40 in after John Humphreys talking a tremendous load of old shite. There is a fantastic miserable Scots git grumbling about it. Then Caroline Raphael comes on and prattles on and doesn't really say anything interesting.

That is gold. I always felt that Blue Jam was shafted on the outraged reactions front back in 1997, thanks to the brassEYE hoopla earlier in the year. So, it's nice to see the whinging old bags of 2014 sticking the boot into it now.

Phil_A

Episode 3. On mediafire rather than Soundcloud cos I've run out of minutes on there and can't really afford a subscriber account:

https://www.mediafire.com/?olaeo5y5nae4kqb

Spiral King

Thanks, Phil_A. Stellar work as usual. Which source did you pick for this one, out of interest?

Phil_A

Quote from: Spiral King on March 16, 2014, 08:25:50 PM
Thanks, Phil_A. Stellar work as usual. Which source did you pick for this one, out of interest?

An iplayer rip this time, it's a bit less fiddly.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on March 14, 2014, 02:50:42 AM
Not necessarily... when I tried to get Episode 1 (on the following Weds or Thurs) it wasn't working either; said it was available but then the file couldn't be found.  The News Quiz Extra was doing the same thing.  Tried them again on the Friday morning and they were both fine.

Just done Episode 2 and that's fine too.

Just a boring technical aside - on demand services typically end up supporting several different encodings/bitrates/formats. The beeb often seem to have long delays between different encodings being made (for some reason I can't really work out - it's not as if they have time to catch up or anything). You normally don't notice because most players can play several different formats - if the best quality format isn't available, it will just fallback to the best available that is supported by your player.

I'm guessing the problem with get_iplayer is that it tries to grab a specific format (probably the best iplayer provides) and if the BBC haven't encoded it just fails.

Spiral King

Quote from: Phil_A on March 16, 2014, 09:29:46 PM
An iplayer rip this time, it's a bit less fiddly.

Well, as discussed, it's actually probably higher quality as well, so it seems the way to go.

Quote from: Phil_A on March 16, 2014, 08:17:43 PM
Episode 3. On mediafire rather than Soundcloud cos I've run out of minutes on there and can't really afford a subscriber account:
https://www.mediafire.com/?olaeo5y5nae4kqb

Thanks again, Sir.  Much appreciated.

Neil

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 16, 2014, 02:02:59 PM
Made an appearance on Feedback on Friday about 10:40 in after John Humphreys talking a tremendous load of old shite. There is a fantastic miserable Scots git grumbling about it. Then Caroline Raphael comes on and prattles on and doesn't really say anything interesting.

Can someone rip this please?!?!

Phil_A

Quote from: Neil on March 20, 2014, 06:55:22 PM
Can someone rip this please?!?!

Ahh, thanks! Almost forgot to grab this, I've got it now.

Neil

Thanks Phil, and really appreciate the upgrades!

DJ Solid Snail

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/wovodh3y9f2sjti/Blue_Jam_on_Radio_4's_Feedback.mp3

edit: left in the stuff at the end about the comedy they're putting on at the minute, thought it might be of interest

olliebean

Quote from: DJ Solid Snail on March 20, 2014, 08:38:46 PM
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/wovodh3y9f2sjti/Blue_Jam_on_Radio_4's_Feedback.mp3

edit: left in the stuff at the end about the comedy they're putting on at the minute, thought it might be of interest

Thanks for that. I love John Humphrys' deliberate hesitation before including Micky Flanagan on the list of "modern classics."

DJ Solid Snail

Brilliantly written article, nice one. Should get a load more folks interested in the show, hopefully, especially with these Radio 4 repeats as well. It definitely deserves a bigger audience.

Spiral King

Great article, Neil. Blue Jam really is, by far, Morris' best work.

While we wait for the FLAC of Episode 4, has anyone heard anything about them possibly repeating Series 2 and 3?