Author Topic: Blue Jam played out on Radio 4 Extra  (Read 31074 times)

Spiral King

• Ranch or Cool Ranch?
Re: Blue Jam played out on Radio 4 Extra
« Reply #270 on: January 02, 2015, 11:51:41 PM »
I think I found REM's Tongue really difficult to get past at some stage, because I never got to Bad Sex 3 until I'd long listened to every episode to death. So, that was nice, as it and Symptonless Coma were like new sketches.

"Chuck the spade at the child" and the following scream/exit never fails to elicit a laugh out of me.

I missed the first 15 minutes or so tonight.  What happened, then?  Did Smiff talk over the beginning of it?

Yeah, he started playing the episode and JUST had to add "This episode was originally broadcast on blah blah". So pointless and self serving. Anyone who cares about this already knows this fact.

Still think we'll get a longer intro than the 1998 mp3 though. Still. Annoying.

Spiral King

• Ranch or Cool Ranch?
« Reply #271 on: January 02, 2015, 11:59:14 PM »
This sketch was a direct reaction to Harold Shipman, right?

Edit: I actually think it was just before Shipman was arrested, actually. Wow.

The doctor saying "easy now" to himself after attacking the patient is really quite disturbing.

Spiral King

• Ranch or Cool Ranch?
« Reply #272 on: January 03, 2015, 12:04:13 AM »
The outro seems to be nice and complete. Not bad. Hopefully I'll be able to cobble together an acceptably edited FLAC once olliebean weaves his magic.

Spiral King

• Ranch or Cool Ranch?
« Reply #273 on: January 03, 2015, 12:22:43 AM »

DJ One Record

• This evening you look like an owl full of trees
« Reply #274 on: January 03, 2015, 01:29:17 AM »
Confession time: I never "got" the Unemployed Welsh Men sketches. I think they're probably the weakest part of Blue Jam. There are some amusing lines in them, but mostly they are a laugh free zone.

Took me a while to fully get my head around them, as they have no obvious hook or narrative structure compared to just about another other sketch in the series that you could name. But as far as the dadaesque side of BJ goes, these sketches are second to none - they mostly forego any sense of logic or purpose and just become about the feeling of words and phrases. But for all the stasis in them, there's a lot more going on there than, say, the Mr. Ventham sketches, which are largely dead air.

The soundtrack is definitely To Rococco Rot, by the way. I can't believe this was ever a point of contention when the new definitive music list was being compiled. It's obviously not Gigi Masin's original.

That was my fault, I think. I seem to recall I was the one who suggested it might be Masin and, not having the mp3 of the episode to hand at the time, I didn't get a chance to listen to it again until recently to check. But yeah, those metallic creaks and theremin-esque synths are without a doubt from the TRR track. Sorry everyone.

In an effort to redeem myself, here's my attempt to plug one of the other gaps in the BJ music database: unless I'm very much mistaken, the second track in The Belt monologue from S2E1 is John Handy "Hard Work", is it not?

« Reply #275 on: January 03, 2015, 02:03:59 PM »
Episode 5 up in the usual place.

Spiral King

• Ranch or Cool Ranch?
« Reply #276 on: January 03, 2015, 08:52:03 PM »
Blue Jam - Series 2, Episode 5 in FLAC [olliebean's M4A > WAV > Edited in Audacity > WAV > FLAC]

I had to think about this one. I erred on not using a Fade Up on the intro. I felt, as Episode 4 started without one when it went out without Smith additions, that Episode 5 would work in the same way, despite losing three seconds or so of intro. It's still four more seconds than we had on the 1998 mp3s of the same show, so: result.

The outro was easier to tackle, and I just applied a single fade out, just as Smith's fader was being pulled up. Felt it aided the programme's own fade out and extinguished any interference from Smith rather nicely.

Took me a while to fully get my head around them, as they have no obvious hook or narrative structure compared to just about another other sketch in the series that you could name. But as far as the dadaesque side of BJ goes, these sketches are second to none - they mostly forego any sense of logic or purpose and just become about the feeling of words and phrases. But for all the stasis in them, there's a lot more going on there than, say, the Mr. Ventham sketches, which are largely dead air.

I disagree. While I admit the Unemployed Welshmen sketches are a great exploration of language, which is why I conceded that they have a few good lines in them, Mr. Ventham is a lot more interesting. Admittedly still not amazing Blue Jam material, I find it much more enjoyable. Maybe it's because it's Heap/Davies/Cann/Eldon, doing a great job with essentially the same joke, and not a few cast members doing Welsh accents, I don't know... but I do find it much better. Especially Heap's interactions with Davies - trying to have a human conversation with someone, while being clearly very broken.

That was my fault, I think. I seem to recall I was the one who suggested it might be Masin and, not having the mp3 of the episode to hand at the time, I didn't get a chance to listen to it again until recently to check. But yeah, those metallic creaks and theremin-esque synths are without a doubt from the TRR track. Sorry everyone.

No problem. I'm glad we've come to a consensus, hahaha.

In an effort to redeem myself, here's my attempt to plug one of the other gaps in the BJ music database: unless I'm very much mistaken, the second track in The Belt monologue from S2E1 is John Handy "Hard Work", is it not?

In the second half, yes. Unfortunately the first "piano solo" half is still unidentified. Maybe with these new higher fidelity versions, we will be able to find out the identity of the six (?) missing tracks. I was listening to the 1998 mp3 of Episode 5 and, as usual, was startled how much clearer these new iPlayer versions are.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 09:34:19 PM by Spiral King »

« Reply #277 on: January 03, 2015, 09:00:34 PM »
Maybe with these new higher fidelity versions, we will be able to find out the identity of the six (?) missing tracks.

I am prepared to offer genuine cash money (or just a shitload of karma) to anyone who can correctly identify the looped ambient track that plays underneath the "LWT Complainer" sketch from Series 1 Episode 1!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvWkreoMBn4

In the 17 years that have elapsed since that first went out, NOBODY has been able to ascertain what it is and I REALLY WANT TO KNOW!

« Reply #278 on: January 07, 2015, 08:41:48 PM »
The files from my Blue Jam MEGA folder have mysteriously vanished. I don't know why - I haven't received any notification from MEGA about it - or when it happened. I'm re-uploading them for now (should take a couple of hours), but if it happens again I'll find somewhere else to host them.

Thanks to Spiral King for bringing this to my attention.

Thomas

• please describe an encounter with a squirrel
« Reply #279 on: January 08, 2015, 07:43:59 PM »
Took me a while to fully get my head around them, as they have no obvious hook or narrative structure compared to just about another other sketch in the series that you could name. But as far as the dadaesque side of BJ goes, these sketches are second to none - they mostly forego any sense of logic or purpose and just become about the feeling of words and phrases.

The sounds behind the dialogue build a brilliant murky, misty image in my mind as I listen to the Unemployed Welshmen. It's a broken Under Milk Wood.

Spiral King

• Ranch or Cool Ranch?
« Reply #280 on: January 08, 2015, 10:31:01 PM »
Edited: I'm a fool who doesn't know what day it is, apparently.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 10:55:37 PM by Spiral King »

« Reply #281 on: January 10, 2015, 12:04:46 AM »
Didn't hear the very beginning of tonight's, but Arfursmiff managed to not talk over the fade out at the end, so that was nice.

Roll on Series 3.

Spiral King

• Ranch or Cool Ranch?
« Reply #282 on: January 10, 2015, 01:38:10 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04wxmvj

On iPlayer. Intro sounds completely untampered with. Roll on the M4A.

Edit: Listened to it. iPlayer seems to cut off the outro just as the Blue Jam echo begins (ugh). I may have to do some surgery with the Freeview MP2, if it's not on olliebean's M4A.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 02:58:08 AM by Spiral King »

« Reply #283 on: January 10, 2015, 12:31:52 PM »
iPlayer seems to cut off the outro just as the Blue Jam echo begins (ugh).
I love that "Down you go" bit as well. Bah.

Spiral King

• Ranch or Cool Ranch?
« Reply #284 on: January 10, 2015, 09:12:58 PM »

Piece of piss. All fixed up and ready for you, sir.

Blue Jam - Series 2, Episode 6 in FLAC [olliebean's M4A & MP2 > WAV > Edited together in Audacity > WAV > FLAC

This one was probably the most work since Episode 1, as I had to line up where the M4A abruptly cut offs, and where the MP2 continues. Lots of staring at wave forms and trying to get the exact place correct. I added a tiny amount of compression to bring the MP2 volume in line with the M4A. It sounds pretty seamless to my ears. The rest was a basic top and tail job. Chopped off Arthur Smith at the top, and faded out his exhaling at the end. If the M4A had been complete, this would have been simples. Ah well.

Hopefully Series 3 is going to happen later this year. Hopefully not Christmas, but we'll see. Hopefully Smiffy will be long gone at this point. Although he could be worse. Later I'll do a big compilation post with links to everything so far.

« Reply #285 on: January 10, 2015, 09:21:29 PM »
Nice one, Spirals! Cheers.

« Reply #286 on: January 11, 2015, 12:26:04 AM »

Out of interest, does anyone know what song that sample/loop is taken from? 

Spiral King

• Ranch or Cool Ranch?
« Reply #287 on: January 11, 2015, 02:01:39 AM »
Out of interest, does anyone know what song that sample/loop is taken from?

They Might Be Giants - Spiraling Shape.

« Reply #288 on: January 11, 2015, 08:52:22 AM »

Spiral King

• Ranch or Cool Ranch?
« Reply #290 on: January 12, 2015, 08:08:48 AM »
Lovely.  Ta.

No probs. Cheers for the karma.

Just so everyone knows, I'll be doing a compilation post on Friday. It'll include among other things:

• A redone version of Series 2 - Episode 1. I'm not pleased with the second join. The slight click is driving me crazy. I'll also be attempting to flesh out the low-end a bit on the 1998 recorded bit to make it a little more seamless. No promises on that bit though.
  • 600dpi scans of the Blue Jam CD, Jam DVD and My Wrongs DVD packaging.
  • A RAR with misc materials inside it. Stuff like Doc Rude from the website, the website SWF, the Rothko monologue from the My Wrongs DVD, stuff like that.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 08:39:39 AM by Spiral King »

Spiral King

• Ranch or Cool Ranch?
« Reply #291 on: January 17, 2015, 09:39:43 PM »
Sorry for the lateness on this post, guys. I somehow managed to cripple my back between the last post and today, and am only just now getting over it. Sitting has been quite difficult, so I've not done the extras (i.e. the scans/the rar) yet. They'll probably be done some time in the future when I have a free day, unless someone is gagging for them. But no one clearly is, so I'll probably take my time.

However, I did finish the revamp of S2E1, and I'm pretty very proud of it.

Blue Jam - Series 2, Episode 1 (v.2.0) in FLAC [olliebean's 2014 M4A & Steve bass2rez's original 1998 MP3 > WAV > Edited together in Audacity > WAV > FLAC

So, after becoming more familiar with Audacity and growing more and more unhappy with my first attempt, I decided to redo this. I first aligned both tracks precisely (the original had the 1998 audio spliced in rather shoddily on one end), and then snipped the parts of the 1998 copy that weren't required. I then went ahead and split the 2014 file at the point of the error. Then I went about applying enough bass and treble to the original 1998 material, so that it matched the sound waves of the 2014 repeat. Did a bit more editing on either side of the 2014 repeat so that it transitioned perfectly. Finished up top and tailing the M4A, so that it cut out as much Smith as possible.

Now, not to blow my own horn, but it is 100% seamless. If you have my old attempt, please replace it with this 2.0 version. It is very much worth it, and is the definitive version that I've done of this episode.

Okay, onto the compilation links:

Blue Jam - Series 1
Original Radio 1 Broadcast Dates: 14th November 1997 to 19th December 1997. 12:00am to 1:00am.
Repeated Radio 4 Extra Broadcast Dates: 28th February 2014 to 28th March 2014. 11:00pm to 12:00am.

Episode 1
[Edited 2014 FLAC]
[Unedited 2014 iPlayer M4A]
[Unedited 2014 Freview MP2]
[Edited 1997 Radio 1 MP3]

Episode 2
[Edited 2014 FLAC]

Episode 3
[Edited 2014 FLAC]

Episode 4
[Edited 2014 FLAC]

Episode 5
[Edited 2014 FLAC]

Episode 6
[Edited 1997 Radio 1 MP3]*
*: This episode was not broadcast in full. This episode was also not rebroadcast at all. Material from this episode was rebroadcast as Episode 1 of Series 2.

Blue Jam - Series 2
Original Radio 1 Broadcast Dates: 27th March 1998 to 1st May 1998. 1:00am to 2:00am.
Repeated Radio 4 Extra Broadcast Dates: 5th December 2014 to 9th January 2015. 11:00pm to 12:00am.

Episode 1
[Edited 2014 FLAC]
[Unedited 2014 iPlayer M4A]*
[Unedited 2014 Freview MP2]*
[Edited 1998 Radio 1 MP3]
*: The 2014 repeat is missing 3 minutes of sketch material from the original episode. Downloading the unedited 2014 files is only advised for archival purposes, and not for general listening.

Episode 2
[Edited 2014 FLAC]

Episode 3
[Edited 2014 FLAC]

Episode 3
[Edited 2014 FLAC]

Episode 4
[Edited 2014 FLAC]

Episode 5
[Edited 2015 FLAC]
[Unedited 2015 iPlayer M4A]
[Unedited 2015 Freview MP2]

Episode 6
[Edited 2015 FLAC]
[Unedited 2015 iPlayer M4A]
[Unedited 2015 Freview MP2]

Special Thanks to: Neil (for obvious reasons), Steve bass2rez (for the original Radio 1 rips), olliebean (for all the M4As and MP2s), Phil_A (for editing the 2014 Series 1 repeats and inspiring me), archive.org (which now hosts all the original Radio 1 rips), Subtle Mocking (for the cover art), and everyone else who posted in this thread. You're all pretty cool people.

You can actually go get Series 3 from here as well, but I'd wait personally. It's hopefully a given that Series 3 will be repeated later this year, and I guarantee these repeats will be of a higher fidelity than the original analogue recordings from 1999.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 10:19:26 PM by Spiral King »

« Reply #292 on: January 18, 2015, 02:14:41 AM »
You're fantastic. Rest easy now.

DJ Solid Snail

• Make it quick, Fitzgerald
    • YouTube
« Reply #293 on: February 18, 2015, 12:06:10 PM »
I've reinserted Bishopslips into S1E6/S2E1 using Spiral King's FLAC, the Bishopslips/Eels segue from the Blue Jam Exclusives CD and a whole bunch of audio-fiddling in GoldWave. Hobbs Sting 2 has been removed as Hobbs Sting 1 pops up shortly thereafter in the episode, and also you can hear a little bit of Susan's House underneath the intro of The Belt, so I'm working on the assumption that originally the Eels track segued straight into that monologue.

Blue Jam - Series 2, Episode 1 w/ Bishopslips [using Spiral King's v2 FLAC]

Obviously it's a big file so just so you know what you're getting, here's a preview of the segue.

Spiral King

• Ranch or Cool Ranch?
« Reply #294 on: February 19, 2015, 12:52:39 AM »
That's really cool, DJ Solid Snail. Great work on restoring the episode to what Series 1, Episode 6 probably would have been.

Good catch on hearing the remnants of Susan's House at the start of the Belt monologue too. I think I noticed that once, but promptly forgot it. Anyone who's erring about DLing, do it. It's very good and I'd edit it into my compilation post if it wasn't edit locked.[1]
 1. I'd also edit out the "Freview" typo as well, as it's been driving me mental.

« Reply #295 on: February 19, 2015, 10:44:27 AM »
These are really fantastic, thanks very much for all the hard work.

Could someone clarify the situation with series 1 episode 6 and series 2 episode 1?  If I download

Do I also need

Series 1, Episode 6

Or is the partial episode that was broadcast at the end of series 1 entirely duplicated at the start of series 2?

« Reply #296 on: February 19, 2015, 06:34:59 PM »
These are really fantastic, thanks very much for all the hard work.

Could someone clarify the situation with series 1 episode 6 and series 2 episode 1?  If I download

Do I also need

Series 1, Episode 6

Or is the partial episode that was broadcast at the end of series 1 entirely duplicated at the start of series 2?

Yeah, with the exception of the Bishopslips section, "Series 1 Episode 6" basically became the first 12 minutes or so of Series 2 Episode 1.   Morris just edited out the Bishopslips section and  replaced it with a new Mary Ann Hobbs sting, which  then just goes straight into a monologue.

If you're grabbing DJ Solid Snail's snazzy new re-edit of Series 2 Episode 1, you can do away with the Series 1 Episode 6 file.

Spiral King

• Ranch or Cool Ranch?
« Reply #297 on: February 19, 2015, 07:27:44 PM »
Unless you're like me and keep stuff like that for archival reasons. As grand as Solid Snail's edit is, the 1997 MP3 is still what actually went out and is worth keeping IMO. But I'm also obsessive, so...

« Reply #298 on: February 19, 2015, 08:56:58 PM »
Thanks very much for clearing that up, and thanks again for making the flacs available.

Spiral King

• Ranch or Cool Ranch?
« Reply #299 on: May 25, 2015, 08:58:18 PM »
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/may/23/bbc-radio-4-extra-becomes-uks-biggest-digital-radio-station

Not direct news of a repeat of Series 3 later this year (fingers crossed), but this can only be a good sign, given that Blue Jam is mentioned directly in the article.