Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:23:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Spelunky Explorer's Club

Started by Bored of Canada, February 26, 2014, 11:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I just had a genius run on the daily challenge of Spelunky, tried making it to hell, but wasn't concentrating for a minute and went through the door instead of using the Ankh. So just tried going for the traditional ending, and died with a shitload of gold right at the end of the temple by setting of an arrow trap and being flung into one of those Crushing Temple Blocks.

I know other people here love Spelunky. Because you're reasonable people. Anyone here actually interested in posting their results or even recording the daily challenges in order to inject some healthy competition into the experience?
I was thinking about just recording the last ten seconds of my owns run, purely concentrating on the slapstick chain of events as I inevitably die. Watch as I confidently make the wrong move and cause a domino effect of unavoidable traps and fall damage.

KLG-7DD

I love Spelunky. I'm a decidedly-average player, having seen the end of Hell but not completed it. It's been a few months since I played regularly, and the new UI beckons me.

Quote from: KLG-7DD on February 26, 2014, 11:37:07 PM
I love Spelunky. I'm a decidedly-average player, having seen the end of Hell but not completed it. It's been a few months since I played regularly, and the new UI beckons me.

Oh, the new UI is good. The health bar that obscured the top left of the screen was my only nitpick with the game, and now that too is fixed.
I've not yet gotten to the end of hell. Although surprisingly, I still feel that of all the zones, Jungle is still easily the hardest.

KLG-7DD

Yeah, and the caves are the easiest by far (you can almost certainly float/cling/fly your way to definite safety each time). Although that being said, it's rare that I will brave the mothership (and why bother going to the worm if you've ticked off the Crysknife in the journal?).

I literally have never found the worm. I knew there was one, but never knew how to get there. I just looked it up now and it's amazing that there's this whole other area that I've just been passing all this time that I never even knew about. I only recently got the Blood Chalice, but as I was using a shotgun, (and then the psychic staff thing) I was generally eliminating threats from afar as opposed to getting in close and personal to harvest their blood.

Cave's are fine as long as you have items. I think if you're not prepared and don't have any ropes, you can definitely be in a bit of trouble if you jump down the wrong way and get stuck.

KLG-7DD

Given that I kill every shopkeeper now (I used to never kill any shopkeeper) I always have the right gear before I hit the caves.

Come to the dark, shopkeeper-killing side. It improves your chances late-game and is more fun. This is an invaluable trick (practice it in the tutorial level): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9kcLQKRiB8

Quote from: KLG-7DD on February 27, 2014, 12:18:45 AM
Come to the dark, shopkeeper-killing side.

Unfortunately, I'm already way ahead of you.

KLG-7DD

madhair60

I love this game.  I've never gotten past the jungle.  I'm fucking SHIT at it

KLG-7DD

That IS really shit. Although I suspect you just need to play for another 36 hours.

madhair60

I'm SHIT at it mate.  Absolute SHIT.

i got to Jungle area 4 yesterday then I got spiked in the face and died. :(

KLG-7DD

The screen after that one is basically a multiplayer group arena where we laugh at the wankers who can't get there.

Stupid spike wankers!

03/02/2014 Daily Challenge.

Got greedy and was avoiding the g-g-g-ghost as best I could, and I was right by the door!
Right by there and I saved the hot dude and everyfink! But I got greedy and went for a box, and jumped right into him.

Come on people. Try and beat my score. Didn't even make it to the jungle so you could beat that, Madhair.

KLG-7DD

You'll have to take my word that I got around $60,000 and died in the jungle: I tried to take a screenshot using prtsc which didn't work, and Spelunky crashed when I switched back to do it properly by pressing F12.

First game in ages. Got to 1-4 and realised I had missed the eye, what a rookie mistake! Game was a bit tense due to taking half a shotgun blast from a shoppo, but I survived with one heart until the jungle, where one of his friends took revenge.

But at least I didn't die to the ghost.

You have to press F12 in Steam to printscreen, designed so you can take as many as you want without quitting the game.

THE GHOST IS A RESPECTABLE WAY TO DIE.

I died to a shopkeeper in this. Bit off more than I could chew and was running through levels with aggro shopkeepers without a shotgun.
These are really bad first two games on my part. Haven't even made it to the jungle. Performance anxiety, clearly.

EDIT: Just noticed that I'm number 19 on the ranks for that run!
The new daily must have just updated before I hopped on. Bet you won't get rank 19. That will be my only consolation.

KLG-7DD

Look at that hovering beardy cunt.

Quote from: KLG-7DD on March 03, 2014, 08:34:19 PM

Look at that hovering beardy cunt.

If CaB's taught me one thing, the bald have a lot of repressed rage. It's not smart to invite their aggression.

EDIT:
Also, looks like KLG is at the top of the CaB Spelunking Explorer's Club. For now.

KLG-7DD

I don't want to talk about today's run.

Fuck's sake.

5/03/2014

I was hanging off that ledge there, and couldn't even see those spikes. Having lost my torch.
Dark levels are such trash.

KLG-7DD

Finally got past the caves this run. Collected the 'Hadjet' pharoah hat thing but was repeatedly stun-locked by the special giant Yeti roaring, which led to me falling onto some spikes.

6/03/2014

Spoiler alert
I fell on some spikes.
[close]

ALSO, I HAD A FUCKLOAD OF BOMBS.

KLG-7DD

I was having a fantastic game, so naturally Spelunky crashed.

21st century SPELUNKY man.

Pretty much the full run but first minute seemed to cut out, didn't miss much but here it is if you want.

8/3/2014 Daily Run

The video seems to stutter a lot. Not sure if it's perhaps still encoding or something, but the one yesterday was pretty consistent.
Anyway, doing pretty good. Did I just completely miss the Black Market entrance this time? My eye didn't click at all.

KLG-7DD

Good idea: http://www.twitch.tv/walkwipe/

I fucked it up and didn't save the video though. But tomorrow.

Quote from: KLG-7DD on March 08, 2014, 05:35:03 PM
Good idea: http://www.twitch.tv/walkwipe/

I fucked it up and didn't save the video though. But tomorrow.

It's saved under your Past Broadcasts. And hey! That wasn't the Daily Challenge!

KLG-7DD

Yeah, that was a test run after the daily to see if it was saving them.

Quote from: KLG-7DD on March 09, 2014, 04:44:23 AM
Yeah, that was a test run after the daily to see if it was saving them.

Oh okay. Well, yeah, it's working fine. Very clear and consistent. More of you should be doing this. Get a bit of healthy passive aggressive competition in our Spelunking.
I did another quick one before. Quick is the key word there. Did not go well on that.

KLG-7DD