Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:40:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Spelunky Explorer's Club

Started by Bored of Canada, February 26, 2014, 11:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bomb_dog

Congrats. That's a good score!

Norton Canes

Managed to get to Hell once and fluked my way to level three before getting smashed in a heroic dash for the exit. Any tips/strategies for hell-bound explorers - best equipment, for instance? I see some insanely fast runs with the teleporter but I've never had the inclination to practice with it.

I do kill the shopkeeper on level 1-2 (the first level with a shop) every time now, can't afford to miss out on the shottie.

Hecate

Pick up Vlad's Amulet when you see it in the first level of hell, it'll be inside a wall and you have to bomb it out.

makes you invulnerable to firemen and lava. Having the jet pack is always nice, and sticky bombs come in handy for the boss at the end

I wouldn't take any chances saving the daffy bints as some of them are munsters in disguise, but you can tell the the imposters as they cry for help twice as often, if you're desperate.

Can't really think of any good advice, just take your time, don't take any unnecessary risks. Try to stay away from the big spiky balls on chains if you can help it, try to keep your distance and shoot everything before it gets close.

Quote from: bomb_dog on July 02, 2018, 11:53:21 PM
Congrats. That's a good score!

Thanks man!

Norton Canes

Quote from: Hecate on July 04, 2018, 06:42:32 PM
Pick up Vlad's Amulet when you see it in the first level of hell, it'll be inside a wall and you have to bomb it out.

Makes you invulnerable to firemen and lava. Having the jet pack is always nice, and sticky bombs come in handy for the boss at the end

I wouldn't take any chances saving the daffy bints as some of them are munsters in disguise, but you can tell the the imposters as they cry for help twice as often, if you're desperate.

Can't really think of any good advice, just take your time, don't take any unnecessary risks. Try to stay away from the big spiky balls on chains if you can help it, try to keep your distance and shoot everything before it gets close

Right, cool. What about general tips on maximising your chances of getting through the first four levels? Do you have a method/strategy you try to follow? Equipment you try to collect (I'm sure the jet pack is a given)? Bomb paste or no bomb paste..?

bomb_dog

Bomb paste for definite!
I don't raid the shops early unless theres a lot of bomb packs on 1-3 or a jet pack or good combination. It's a sliding scale for me between 1-1 and maybe 2-1 to 3, depending on how many lives I've got, contents of the shops, if I've got green sticky gloves, bomb glue etc and if I can successfully get into the black market. Once I'm I'm there it's a definite raid for all the loot.
Don't like the throwing glove but I'll get it anyway as it contributes to being able to get a jet pack from an altar as it'll give you something you've not got. Get everything else and a sacrifice may give you a jet pack.
I ignore the worm and the spaceship level as both don't really contribute to getting to Olmec or the end much. More for better playing score runners than me.

For me, getting the green gloves, bomb glue, jet pack and tons of bombs and the game becomes so much easier to play.

I'm in the cab groups on steam so feel free to add me so we can compete on daily challenges - when I get to play these days that is!

Hecate

I restart if I accidentally pick up the green gloves. I'm shit with them!

Yeah, I always go for the bomb paste, you've probably already worked this out but a good technique is to throw a bomb up so it gets caught in the big spiders web, you get a nice easy kill without setting the spider off.

I kill the first shopkeeper I see, always. The whole object is to be getting as much money as you can, don't give any of it to those old pricks, chin them, ransack their shops and steal their gold.
Although they're very unpredictable in their movement, the more shopkeepers you fight, the more confident you'll get at dispatching them quickly, you'll build up a bunch of strategies for different scenarios.

Jet pack is the holy grail, gun, then, it's a nice bonus if I've got spiky boots, bomb paste and the baseball mitt.
Try to save as many bombs as you can for the golden level, if you can bomb the shit out of that place and lead the ghost around turning all the jewels into diamonds, you're laughing.
You can kill the ghost, you know! He has something like 99 hit points and if you keep leading him back and forth through lava, he dies! Takes ages though.

Hecate

I can't stop watching it!
Where is the green chick? She better be unlockable or I'll be losing my shit.

Norton Canes

Looks brilliant, some nice new ideas, though the graphics seem weirdly less detailed than in v1.

I hope the one change they make - though I doubt it will happen - is to get rid of the protracted boss levels. Half the time now I'll get to 4-4 and not bother dumping Olmec in the lava because it just takes too long, and though it's a skilled exercise it's a bit monotonous. Boss levels should have five minute limits and take place in platform labyrinths like the rest of the levels. 

Bhazor

I still prefer the original original art style to the remastered version. This is because I'm a contrary fuck.

I look forward to spending another 50 hours trying to get past world 2 while seeing "10 minute true pacifist hell speed run" popping up in my youtube recommended for you box.

Norton Canes

Oh yes, oh yes, oh yes. Let it be known that on this day, the 25th Nov 2018, I did hang from a rope on the fourth level of Hell and from that position repeatedly blast Yama full of lead until his head did explode. Eighth time in Hell and first on level four and finally managed to crack it.

Bring on the hot air balloons.

Norton Canes

It was a nice moment, actually. Once I made it to Hell-4 I called Master Canes into the room because he's never made it this far (sorry buddy) and I wanted to give him a chance to have a look but it turned out he's seen all the how-to videos and practically talked me through it, including telling me to rope up to one of the side walls so I'd be protected from falling debris. In fact I was getting a bit panicky (nervous dontcha know) but he calmly advised the best course of action, so when it was done I gave him some well-earned respud.

It's not that difficult, is it? Certainly easier than the constant dodging of Olmec when you don't have many bombs. However by the time Yama was dead I was so petrified that I'd still manage to land on a spike or something that I made a beeline for the exit without collecting any rubies. Oh well, I don't go for big cash scores anyway, I attack the shopkeepers from the start so never need to collect money.

Hecate that is a great score but did it really take you over an hour? Is that because you were doing diamond runs on each level?

Twed

Good job Norton! A Hell run was my kryptonite for a while. I had so many problems with Yama because it took so much to get there that I couldn't really practice strategy for defeating that boss and its patterns. Not a difficult boss, but I'm the kind of person who likes to learn things by finding the limits and edges and things you're NOT supposed to do first...

It became easy once I'd done it once, though. Weird how that works.