Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:45:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Scanner recommendations

Started by holyzombiejesus, March 10, 2014, 12:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

I'm after getting a scanner, primarily so I can upload a stack of old photographs. I looked in the usual places but that all seemed to be upwards of £80. However, when I was in horrible Asda the other day, they had all these different printers which also scanned from about £40. Now, I'm presuming that the scanners in the printer/ scanners aren't as good as the first type I mentioned, but, if I'm just using it for digitising a load of old photos for my own use, how important is the quality? Is there anything I should look out for or avoid? As usual, I know fuck all about stuff like this.

(I don't have a printer but aren't really fussed about getting one. I might use it to print out train or gig tickets, but that's about it.)

Viero_Berlotti

If you're not that fussed about premium quality, one of the £40 ones will do a decent job. I used one recently to scan a load of old family photographs for my mum and they turned out fine, it's the people and places in the photographs that were important rather than top quality scans.

One thing I would advise though is to use it in a relatively dust free environment and make sure the glass on the scanner is free of static and that the prints you are scanning are dust and dirt free. Dust is the main enemy when you are scanning old photographs.

syntaxerror

Don't go for a cheap one because you'll end up paying a fortune for ink.

holyzombiejesus

Any brands or features to avoid or to particularly go for? Any shops that are better than others for honest advice on this kind of thing? As I said, I don't envisage really using it for printing, certainly not vast swathes of colourful pictures. Just scanning some old A6 (ish) photos.

hedgehog90

Someone post the gif of the Hank Kingsley lookalike going pop.