Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:58:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Fargo" TV series from the Coen Brothers

Started by surreal, March 12, 2014, 02:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onken

Quote from: Steven on October 12, 2015, 06:13:13 PM
Good. But they might still do flash-forwards. Checked IMDB and it doesn't have all the episodes listed yet but for the first we have new cast such as:

Kirsten Dunst   ...   
Jesse Plemons   ...   
Ted Danson   ...   
Patrick Wilson   ...
Bruce Campbell..

Jesse Plemons who played creepy Todd in Breaking Bad.

Steven

Quote from: Onken on October 12, 2015, 07:09:24 PM

Yep, there's a few other names in there too but only the early cast lists are up so far. Looks like Bruce Campbell will just be a cameo as Ronald Reagan, confirming it will be set in the 80s I assume.

Onken

Sounds good. The only thing I've ever liked starring Bruce Campbell was that Elvis biopic.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Onken on October 12, 2015, 07:09:24 PM

He was also Landry "Lance" Clarke in Friday Night Lights, a great show that everyone in the world should watch now.

I enjoyed the first series of Fargo on the whole, but I thought the mostly brilliant casting and production covered up for some really patchy writing that was often quite clumsy and incoherent. I hope this series is a big step up in that regard.

The Masked Unit

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on October 12, 2015, 07:25:11 PM
He was also Landry "Lance" Clarke in Friday Night Lights, a great show that everyone in the world should watch now.

Hell yes! Me and the wife recently went through the entire run and we miss that world desperately!

Tapiocahead

I saw a trailer for this during Homeland last night - Nick Offerman's in it too.

Homeland came around with barely a mention as well

chand

Quote from: Onken on October 12, 2015, 04:53:31 PM
TONIGHT?! I've seen nothing about this mentioned online.

You couldn't escape the social media campaign for the first season.

Tonight's the FX premiere, it's Monday 19th October at 10pm for regular Channel 4-havers like me.

It has been relatively lightly trailed, compared to the months-long advertising assaults for stuff like Humans and This Is England 90. The new series of this, The Returned and Homeland have all snuck under the radar a bit.

great_badir

Looking forward to it - loved the first series and still prefer it over the film[NB]not a Coens hater by any stretch, just think Fargo and Blood Simple are both among their weaker works[/NB].

olliebean

Quote from: chand on October 13, 2015, 09:35:40 AM
Tonight's the FX premiere

Last night, wasn't it? It's on the torrents already, anyway.

Milverton

A slow start, but far too soon to tell whether this will come even close to the quality of series one, of course.
Spoiler alert
Elements of the Buscemi character from Fargo The Movie were obvious in the youngest brother, while a memorable and strange moment from The Man Who Wasn't There was revisited. The FBI meeting that wasn't was well done.
[close]

The standards are still very high across the board, but there was nothing to really pique the interest until
Spoiler alert
Dunst
[close]
turned up. Those opening few minutes in the first series, with Malvo driving across the tundra pulled the viewer in immediately. Here it's going to be a slower burn. A promising beginning.

Steven

Campbell was listed as cast in the first episode but I don't remember seeing any Ronnie Reagan in it. Did Plemons chub up just for this role, or for another one, or just just really got into bacon bad?

poo

Small Man Big Horse

Really enjoyed this, lots of different plot strands, superb direction along with that beautifully ominous score, and a really impressive cast made it a great hour's worth of tv. Or 48 minutes, anyhow. I had no idea Ted Danson was in it either, and it's always a pleasant surprise to see him put in sterling work like this.

Dr Funke

Quote from: Steven on October 14, 2015, 12:06:10 PM
Did Plemons chub up just for this role, or for another one, or just just really got into bacon bad?

For another role apparently, possibly the biopic of Ronald Koeman.

I really didn't like this. All the references really rubbed me the wrong way. Offerman was actively terrible. The speech that Not Joan Cusack gave about Job was ABSOLUTELY CRINGEWORTHY. And all the fucking attempts at style are vapid wank.

The split frames. The door swinging in the diner. No depth. Hollow direction. Wank. Wank. Wank.

The sequence with Dunst and Jesse Plymons was good. That was all I liked. The opening in particular was so hacky.
Guy being awkward and 'accidentally' racist.

"Oh it must mean lot to your people"
"I'm from Brooklyn" general setup is such a hacky done to death joke.

Puce Moment

I liked it a great deal - much more than the first series opener in fact. I have always found the humour problematic partly because I hate the Coens humour, and despise their comedies. This seemed more restrained with regards to humour.

great_badir

Quote from: Puce Moment on October 20, 2015, 03:22:29 PM
I liked it a great deal - much more than the first series opener in fact. I have always found the humour problematic partly because I hate the Coens humour, and despise their comedies. This seemed more restrained with regards to humour.

Not seen it yet, but how much involvement have the Coens had with this series?

Puce Moment

Quote from: great_badir on October 20, 2015, 03:26:03 PMNot seen it yet, but how much involvement have the Coens had with this series?

I would say absolutely none but I might be wrong.

I think they might be credited as exec producers which means they get points on profit without having to do a thing.

Milverton

Plemons actually has small tits in episode two.
Spoiler alert
The roadblock scene is good, and features the most Coen Fargo like character so far, in the unlikely named Mike Milligan, the KC enforcer.
[close]

One of the recurring annoyances since the movie version has been my nagging irritation that murder scenes in snowy landscapes surely require more care and attention than stomping all over possible footprints and tracks, and closer examination must be needed of surroundings where evidence can be discarded and bury itself. This episode didn't help. I don't expect CSI but even in 1979 in the middle of nowhere I would have thought some forensic evidence might have been at least mentioned in passing.
Spoiler alert
Instead, the murder weapon is found in a most ridiculous manner.
[close]

If this series didn't follow on from its illustrious predecessor it would be great. Instead it's all a bit meh so far. Just as True Detective 2 didn't really capture my imagination this hasn't yet either. I see IMDB has it well up in the 9.5s. I expect that to undergo a downward trajectory as the weeks pass.

steveh

Suggests here that there are occasional conversations and the brothers get scripts and other stuff but they don't otherwise contribute: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/17/fargo-season-2-paleyfest-panel

Seems the show is plundering from other Coen brothers movies too: https://www.yahoo.com/tv/fargo-season-2-coen-brothers-easter-eggs-030908167.html

Thought the first episode was okay if getting close to the point where the number of improbabilities in the way people behave combine to make you lose your belief. Reserving my judgement till I've seen some more.

Steven

Quote from: steveh on October 20, 2015, 04:33:58 PM
Seems the show is plundering from other Coen brothers movies too: https://www.yahoo.com/tv/fargo-season-2-coen-brothers-easter-eggs-030908167.html

Yes, I did notice a few things such as the guy looking just like Wade from the Fargo movie, and it's sort of insidious like they're trying to use subliminal tactics. 'Look, he looks like the guy in Fargo, that's good right, so this must be good too, right?'

non capisco

I'd forgotten all about Rye Gerhardt seeing a UFO last week until 'The Eve Of War' came on at the end and the camera panned up. Is this going to go all The Colbys on us?

up_the_hampipe

Did wee Molly say she was going to name the snowman Billy Bob?

great_badir

Some intrigue, but I agree with Bored of Canada about the styling.  Hopefully it'll settle down, but a few things annoyed me.

I'll stick with it though - far too early to compare with the first series (in terms of quality) at the mo.

Milverton

Spoiler alert
Would that really kill you?
[close]

Steven

Quote from: Milverton on October 27, 2015, 05:25:45 PM
Spoiler alert
Would that really kill you?
[close]

They left it open ended so
Spoiler alert
not too sure if he gets out. But yeah, a load of loose debris that you could shake off in a second, it looked completely pants.
[close]

maett

I thought the roller parked next to the hole was going to make sure he stayed put.