Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:40:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Which prog rock hook have The Klaxons pilfered?

Started by Brundle-Fly, March 22, 2014, 04:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

I heard the new Klaxons single on 6Music yesterday and there is a hook (or sample?) in it which is note for note a melody from some prog rock number. Is it Aphrodite's Child? I've got some Vertigo label compilations/ Andy Votel DJ mixes that it might be from but I've just packed away all my CDs for a bit and I can't be arsed to go searching for it right now.

Comes in at 0:31.  This could have come out in the late Nineties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5BUAdJD9mM

Viero_Berlotti

Yes, this is driving me mad now, I know exactly the track you mean. I will trawl through some old Votel mixes and Finders Keepers compilations to try and find it later.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

or it does definitely sound like Aphrodite's Child, but it is not a direct lift as I didn't recognise it immediately.

Brundle-Fly

Absorb the anus burn

666 by Aphrodite's Child, definitely resonating... Somewhere early on side two, but I've not played it for ages.

Vodka Margarine

Ugh. It sounds like a camp Kasabian, of that I can be sure.

Viero_Berlotti

I think it's possibly off some obscure eastern European film soundtrack. Anyway I've cheated and just tweeted Andy Votel asking him what it is, so will let you know if he responds.

Viero_Berlotti

Just had a look back through Andy Votel's tweets. As I suspected somebody has already asked him!

C & K Vocal - Frames Without Pictures

http://youtu.be/MpLl4NPIaYU

BlodwynPig

Wow, never heard of them, but will be checking them out now!
Czech prog, by all accounts.

Brundle-Fly

Mystery solved. Cheers all. And Super Furry Animals sleeve designer, Pete Fowler.

That Czech track sounds like a druggy Swingle Singers .

Gradual Decline

lazyhour

I know mocking YouTube comments is the easiest thing in the world, but:

QuoteMay not be their best ever but Klaxons are still a breath of fresh air in a sea of mediocrity in 2014. Im also hearing a hint of Kasabian while listening to this

Brundle-Fly