Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:41:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

No make up self portraits (I'm not using the word 'selfie.' Oh damn.)

Started by Icehaven, March 23, 2014, 07:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

I know it wasn't actually started as a charity thing (it was to save Kim Novak or something?) but I was still kind of surprised to learn that this has only raised 2 million quid, given how many people seem to have done it over the last few weeks. I guess a lot of folks haven't actually donated anything, just posted a picture. Anyway, please assuage my insecurities and tell me 90% of the people you know also seem to look suspiciously good 'without' warpaint on, in low light, with their hair over half their faces etc.

El Unicornio, mang

It's pretty much impossible to tell if someone is wearing foundation (unless it's caked on), so wouldn't surprise me if many were, even just to cover up some minor blemishes.

There were definitely a couple on my facebook page which made me jolt out of my seat though...

It makes me realise how only a very very small percentage of women are even recognisable as such without the normalised symbolic daubings.

George Oscar Bluth II

£2m is quite a lot isn't it, when you consider that Sport Relief raised £50m with six hours of airtime on BBC1, plus endless spinoffs and exposure across BBC and non-BBC media, and that this is just people fucking around on Facebook.

BritishHobo

To be fair, 95% of the ones I've seen have been accompanied by a screenshot of a donation receipt, or simply posted the receipt without the self-photograph, with information on how others could vote. Right from the start people have been vocally critical of it, and while I always think these awareness campaigns are at worst harmless, at best enough to inspire a few folks to remember charities exist, the tide turned very quickly on those who were just posting self-photographs.

I've not taken part because I support cancer. Can't find a charity for that.

billtheburger

I've witnessed anti cancer charity backlash on facebook by those who wouldn't do it, because they experiment on animals and pay their scientists a competitive wage.

mook

Quote from: The Boston Crab on March 23, 2014, 07:45:33 PM
It makes me realise how only a very very small percentage of women are even recognisable as such without the normalised symbolic daubings.

bad form isn't it - i wouldn't even put past the pooves to use the same underhand tactics. it's little more than entrapment.

Icehaven

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on March 23, 2014, 07:47:52 PM
£2m is quite a lot isn't it, when you consider that Sport Relief raised £50m with six hours of airtime on BBC1, plus endless spinoffs and exposure across BBC and non-BBC media, and that this is just people fucking around on Facebook.

But this has been going on for weeks, and the average/suggested donation is supposedly £3, which means less than a million people have donated. There's surely a lot more than a million of the pictures. 

BlodwynPig

How is that 2 million distributed by the Charity. I have been working in bioinformatics for a few years and have been exposed to quite a few academics working in cancer research (the Uni has quite a strong group doing this). I would assume that the money would go to those working with people who already have cancer and not into cutting edge research which is quite well funded by the government? Of course, I am probably wrong.

In academic terms, 2 million is small peanuts. We recently got a 5 million pound grant that was cross departmental and although we can hire a few new post-docs and get some dedicated HPC time, its not a vast amount.

Mind you, they've just recently successfully sequenced the first 1000 dollar genome, so with the cost of sequencing and the actual sequencers diminishing faster than Moore's law, the real bottleneck is the bioinformatics and data analysis. So the money should go to me - although I only work with microbes.

billtheburger

Cunts be putting up their selfies anyway.
Some gave some didn't.
Some I saw gave to teaching women in Africa, or local hospices, not just the one that landed the 2 million.

El Unicornio, mang

I notice there's a new one with men taking photos of themselves wearing nothing but a sock on their dick, for testicular cancer awareness.

Kind of NSFW

http://www.mancunianmatters.co.uk/files/mancunianmatters/styles/content_image/public/paddy_white_-_sock_in_cock.jpg

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I went out with a girl who put makeup on about ten times in nearly three years (fucking get me) so I find the notion that this is brave or even slightly impressive odd to think about and most of the women I know who have done it look little to no different. Hence why I find the bitchy comments I've heard (90% from women...hows it going Cancer mate?) odd as well.

No makeup should be the norm and it ought to be saved for a special occasion such as when the Cunt of Death dies.

Icehaven

Quote from: billtheburger on March 23, 2014, 08:02:42 PM
Some I saw gave to teaching women in Africa, or local hospices, not just the one that landed the 2 million.

That makes more sense, different charities.

Jamie Oliver is fat

more tedious fucking ME ME ME shit, but of course no-one can point out the obvious if its for charidee

Thomas

I've seen someone donating to the World Wildlife Fund. The theme is transmuting a bit from 'Cancer Research' to the more general 'good cause'.

Perhaps ziggy could go around balding everybody, with donations to The UK Hair Transplant Clinic.

kitsofan34

Guys seem to be joining in by dressing as girls, applying make up upon themselves. Unless that's just my region...

Queneau

Suck my arsehole for charity. Go on. Why not? Give it a good suck. It's for charity so you have to. Go on, suck right on my arsehole. Suck my arsehole, you. If you don't you support bad things. I've seen some unpleasant comments because people haven't taken part or have questioned it. Things like "Does more money equal a quicker end to cancer?" etc. This nomination stuff is going to be huge, isn't it? I expect wave upon wave of these. "Have you seen this person? I nominate these people to answer." And so on. It's better than a load of dicks asking other dicks to drink a load of alcohol.

Quote from: kitsofan34 on March 23, 2014, 08:22:44 PM
Guys seem to be joining in by dressing as girls, applying make up upon themselves. Unless that's just my region...

I'm seeing those too.

Pijlstaart

I saw a make-upless woman once, and she was about half her normal size, completely bald and mottled. Don't do it ladies, I'm taking the blue pill this time.

Brunette Romana 2

It's a load of old bollocks though isn't it really?!

I dunno; I don't get it. I don't wear make up, so the idea of a make up less selfie is basically every profile pic I've had.

There's a lot of "you look gorgeous, hun" and all that shite. Glad to say, I haven't been nominated, so I don't have to be an arse about it.

Birdie

Recently deactivated my Facebook do missing all this fun.

Well I say 'missing' but it doesn't seem much 'fun'.

thenoise

It's odd isn't it?  There's a kind of expectation that we should tell them how beautiful they look.  Isn't that just telling them how bad they are at applying makeup and/or how they are wasting their money and time each morning?

Spoiler alert
If only we could ask them etc.
[close]

BlodwynPig

It's amazing how many people that seemed like sensible people join in with this. OK OK, its a bit sneering to take a pop at people who genuinely believe they are doing it for charity. But the inevitable "me me me" thing and "you are stunning" comments show the real emotional attachment behind the whole thing.

fit bird

it's quite alarming to realise every single bird in the world seems to put make up on 24/7 even if they're just off to tescos for some bin bags.

all those fit birds you see out and about, it really is all a lie. they're probably right gimpy looking. i reckon if i could pencil my face i'd be way more shaggable.

Unoriginal

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 23, 2014, 08:04:54 PM
I notice there's a new one with men taking photos of themselves wearing nothing but a sock on their dick, for testicular cancer awareness.

Kind of NSFW

http://www.mancunianmatters.co.uk/files/mancunianmatters/styles/content_image/public/paddy_white_-_sock_in_cock.jpg

A guy I know drew a smiley face on one of his testicles and posted a picture of that to Facebook.

Queneau

Quote from: Unoriginal on March 23, 2014, 10:19:49 PM
A guy I know drew a smiley face on one of his testicles and posted a picture of that to Facebook.

And a sad face on the other. Drama balls.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

You've got to say one thing, harnessing narcisissm as a force for wider good was a pretty nifty piece of work by the...whoever they are.

George Oscar Bluth II

The weird thing about a lot of the photos is that the girls look basically the same as they usually do.

IT'S DOING NOTHING FOR YOU LOVE, YOU'RE UGLY AS SIN WHATEVER YOU DO

Harpo Speaks

Speaking as a pervert, I've loved having my Facebook feed full of pictures of natural looking, pale women. It's raised more than just my awareness LADS.

In conclusion: CANCER FTW

DeadBishop

I tried calling someone out on the narcissism of the whole damn thing and she so eloquently justified the selfie and challenged my presumed moral superiority that I ended up donating to medecins sans frontiers[nb]Cancer research is a bit mainstream[/nb] just to assuage my guilt.

Also she is beautiful without make-up and now I am in love.