Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:43:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

No make up self portraits (I'm not using the word 'selfie.' Oh damn.)

Started by Icehaven, March 23, 2014, 07:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Why do they specifically have to be self portraits, eh? And given that they are, why is everyone saying "aw you look beautiful" rather than "hooray you found out how to rotate your camera"?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

All the tediously insecure caveats along the lines of 'Just got off a night shift!!!!' and 'So tired lol but here goes' made me want to shit on their posts and carcasses to spell out KNOCK KNOCK WHO'S THERE BREAST CANCER HAHA and similar but fortunately I was able to restrain myself using my enormous ability.

Some girls I'd just like to see selfies of anyway because they're pretty and you can picture what it'd be like being with them before the clown powder was applied.

Ambient Sheep

I've not had a single one of these in my Facebook feed, simply because most women I know never really bother with make-up, unless it's to cover up a spot or go for a big night out.  Maybe a bit of foundation sometimes I suppose... but it's still more the exception than the rule.

A couple of female friends posted donation details but said stuff like "just look at any of my profile photos for what i look like without make-up!".  I find the whole notion quite weird...

Quote from: The Boston Crab on March 23, 2014, 07:45:33 PMIt makes me realise how only a very very small percentage of women are even recognisable as such without the normalised symbolic daubings.

That just fucks with my head.  Talk about moving in different circles... :-)

Tiny Poster

Interesting to read the Madonna Whore subtext to some of the male reactions to this.

Brunette Romana 2

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on March 24, 2014, 03:03:27 AM
I've not had a single one of these in my Facebook feed, simply because most women I know never really bother with make-up, unless it's to cover up a spot or go for a big night out.  Maybe a bit of foundation sometimes I suppose... but it's still more the exception than the rule.

A couple of female friends posted donation details but said stuff like "just look at any of my profile photos for what i look like without make-up!".  I find the whole notion quite weird...

That just fucks with my head.  Talk about moving in different circles... :-)

Yeah, I know. I was thinking that too! I mean, I do know women who wear make up obviously, but the vast majority of my friends don't wear it, or wear it very rarely. We obviously move in similar circles Ambi! ;-)

Famous Mortimer

I did a photo with makeup on, but it was all a bit subtle so I actually looked...well, horrible as always. Few quid to charity, seems relatively harmless. Most of the women on my feed look virtually the same as always, apart from one young woman I work with, who's never without her fake tan...I did feel like leaving a "wow, you come in human colour!" comment, but she's a bit sensitive. And young.

Another co-worker apologised to everyone, but admitted she couldn't take a photo of herself without makeup on. I worry about people with those attitudes and hope, without knowing how, that we can discuss ways to consign attitudes like that to history. Which sort of leaves a slightly bad taste about this whole thing?

Brunette Romana 2

Hmm, agreed.

My 13 year old step daughter already won't go out anywhere without her slap on. I'm hoping it's just a phase, but it makes me a bit sad really.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Sonia's 'She wears no makeup!' comment in I'm Alan Partridge s2 is supposed to be a funny strange thing to say, but I have heard real people say it a few times. I think the idea someone would do that is so alien to people they desperately need their own choices reassurring, that's what is really sad.

No-one goes from pretty to ugly when they take their makeup off, and skin that looks coated in gunk isnt attractive, it doesnt make you want to reach out and touch it. A bare lightly freckled cheek on the other hand screams it.

Quote from: Tiny Poster on March 24, 2014, 09:18:04 AM
Interesting to read the Madonna Whore subtext to some of the male reactions to this.

Yeah, this is definitely how iI look at women. It's great when you hit that sweet spot, though, where their character and personality changes in the right circumstances. That's the most gratifying for me.

chand

When you think about, raising two million pounds for a cancer charity is no excuse for making me, a man, waste time scrolling past these pictures on Facebook to get to all the important status updates, the ones about refereeing mistakes and what they say about The Standard Of Refereeing In This Country. I mean, I'm just minding my own business trying to use social media to feel my own way around this bewildering universe and suddenly here's a woman making me think about cancer and beauty and society's entrenched gender norms. Fuck's sake! Now I'm sat here looking at a picture of a woman's face with no make-up and it's like "What am I supposed to do? Am I supposed to like this? Am I supposed to post a compliment? Am I supposed to like this and post a compliment? Am I supposed to think about cancer? Am I supposed to donate? If I post a compliment will it sound like I think their make-up is shit? Is it appropriate to jerk off to this? Should I be ashamed for thinking about jerking off to this? What if my disproportionate anger over this relatively short-lived meme is a manifestation of my privilege, what if for once this isn't actually about me at all and I should just stay the fuck out of it instead of clumsily trying to pour scorn on people just for doing something that doesn't directly involve me? Can I incorporate this guilt into my wank?"

Johnny Townmouse

It does appear to me that the same unquestioning numbskulls who post/repost horrible images of animals being tested on with an anti-vivisection sentiment are also posting vaguebooking, compliment fishing images of themselves without make-up.

My family and ex-colleagues are fucking idiotic.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on March 24, 2014, 12:40:59 PM
It does appear to me that the same unquestioning numbskulls who post/repost horrible images of animals being tested on with an anti-vivisection sentiment are also posting vaguebooking, compliment fishing images of themselves without make-up.

My family and ex-colleagues are fucking idiotic.

Cosmetic animal testing is banned in the EU, isn't it?

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Tiny Poster on March 24, 2014, 12:47:38 PM
Cosmetic animal testing is banned in the EU, isn't it?

Naturally it's complicated, particularly in countries who test individual ingredients on animals, but not the cosmetic product itself.

But my point related to images of testing on animals in pursuit of cancer research, which a lot of primate images are taken from.

Tiny Poster

Really? Well check out those dunces...

Oh no. I've just had a flashback to Andrew Collins getting angry about that mouse they gave a cold to.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on March 24, 2014, 07:33:08 PM

i hope the made up character dies of exposure.

"None of them was perfect"

You can kill the journo as well.

Pijlstaart

looks like those boffs made computers so good that we all go on them now to addicted and we are all boffs now like they was

MojoJojo

I wonder if this story was part of the inspiration: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24522060

Actually, I mentioned that most cos I went to school with Tulip. Also when I read the article I was a bit surprised by this bit:

QuoteI wasn't brave enough to be photographed with no make-up so I had a base layer of foundation and powder as well as minimal eye make-up and some blusher and lip-gloss

Which I find just a bit strange.

Tiny Poster

Why is he warning about the dangers of mobiles as opposed to spreading awareness of OCD and body dysmorphia?

George Oscar Bluth II

He's right though, we should ban all mobile phones immediately.

El Unicornio, mang

If he had Photoshop he could have easily fixed one up to look good.

Icehaven

All this talk of leagues and so on reminded me of something from this article a few months back
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-25763704

It's a fairly ho-hum article generally but it did mention an interesting experiment that's apparently been done somewhere, by someone;
''When people are asked to pick a photograph which they think looks most like them - from a series of photographs in which an actual photograph has been digitally altered to produce more attractive and less attractive versions - people are very bad at selecting the original photograph.
Given that we have a poor representation of what we look like, this is perhaps unsurprising. What is surprising is that people systematically choose images that have been digitally altered to make the person appear more attractive.
In other words, we have an image of ourselves that tends to be younger and more attractive than we actually are.''

Shame there's no more detail about where and how that experiment was done really, and who was involved. If it was just a random selection of people with regular self-esteem and no excessive body image issues then it's not at all surprising that they picked the best pictures of themselves, because a lot of people generally do think they look 'better' than they actually do (obviously 'better' is arguably subjective, but in this case presumably the pics were altered to a generalised standard of attractiveness, bigger eyes, defined cheekbones, better skin etc.). How many times have you been going through photos with someone of a night out or something, and they're expressing 'mock' horror at how they looked, while you're hardly listening because you're too busy dying inside at how you looked yourself? That, and the experiment, seem to suggest that it isn't that everyone thinks they're gorgeous, it's that even if you think you're pretty average, you're probably actually even less average than you think. Cheers!

Zetetic

I think it might be Epley & Whitchurch (2008) Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: Enhancement in Self-Recognition.
QuotePeople's inferences about their own traits and abilities are often enhancing. A series of experiments suggests that this enhancement extends to more automatic and perceptual judgments as well, such that people recognize their own faces as being more physically attractive than they actually are. In each experiment, participants' faces were made more or less attractive using a morphing procedure. Participants were more likely to recognize an attractively enhanced version of their own face out of a lineup as their own, and they identified an attractively enhanced version of their face more quickly in a lineup of distracter faces. This enhancement bias occurred for both one's own face and a friend's face but not for a relative stranger's face. Such enhancement was correlated with implicit measures of self-worth but not with explicit measures, consistent with this variety of enhancement being a relatively automatic rather than deliberative process.

QuoteThat, and the experiment, seem to suggest that it isn't that everyone thinks they're gorgeous, it's that even if you think you're pretty average, you're probably actually even less average than you think. Cheers!
I'm not sure that the experiment does suggest that, and I vaguely remember that, in general, people do tend to rate themselves as more attractive than average. (But this varies about according to whether the people have recently been exposed to ugly or beautiful people, and possibly by gender and culture a bit.)

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

For those who are curious, I wear makeup most days for the following reasons:

1) It acts as a relaxing ritual for me where my mind shuts up for a little bit and just allows me to exist and enjoy doing something with my hands

2) You get to play with your face and put different SHAPES and COLOURS on it

Quite frankly I don't know why people aren't wearing makeup more. Not so much covering/base type makeup, but rainbow eyelids and that kind of thing. Who doesn't love pretty colours? I would love to see a middle-aged bloke in a pub exuberantly showing off his purple cut crease.

Famous Mortimer

It appears Antipodean TV drama "The Tribe" was a look inside Kishi's head:

kittens

Quote from: icehaven on March 24, 2014, 10:31:26 PM
That, and the experiment, seem to suggest that it isn't that everyone thinks they're gorgeous, it's that even if you think you're pretty average, you're probably actually even less average than you think. Cheers!

apart from me though right? i think i'm absolutely gorgeous, so maybe i'm just bog standard gorgeous. nightmare

billtheburger

Before the confident no make up selfie they've all had threaded eyebrows, tinted eyebrows, mustache waxed off, botox & chemical peel.

Small Man Big Horse

£8 million has been raised so far, which is pretty impressive. Indeed if they don't cure cancer this time I'm going to be pretty fucked off. Especially as now none of the money will be going to bears:

QuoteThe #nomakeupselfie craze has taken social media by storm since flourishing last week. Its origins are unclear, but since going viral the trend has raised more than £8m for Cancer Research UK and other cancer charities. But it has not been without mishaps for some well-meaning selfie takers.

As well as the Unicef mix-up, the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) acknowledged that it too had accidentally received text messages due to the wrong keyword. Some people's smartphones had autocorrected the word "BEAT" to instead read "BEAR".

"Thank you for choosing an adorable polar bear," the reply from the WWF said. "We will call you today to set up your adoption."...The WWF said no money was taken from people who had sent the texts. "Any texts sent to us instead of Cancer Research [UK] would not result in any donations going to help protect polar bears as WWF relies on human operators calling people back to confirm adoptions, so no money would have changed hands," said Kerry Blackstock, WWF's director of fundraising.

"We wish Cancer Research UK every success in their campaign and their goals, polar bear selfies are harder to come by, though, as far as we are aware, none wear make up."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26723457?fb_action_ids=10202205545993301&fb_action_types=og.likes

They all wear make up by the time I've...