Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:27:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

exam results, anyone?

Started by wu be eel, August 19, 2004, 01:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wu be eel

There must be a few school kids & college goers hanging round here

So how did you do? And what are your plans from here?

I got A Levels today & did far better than i could have possibly hoped for. Thats not a boast, but a shock that makes me think i maybe SHOULd have applied for uni after all, etc. My plans were to leave the academic thing for a few years while i stumble around working and deciding on something i can commit to in the long run. We shall see, I wont change anything yet. Its probably all a part of the big conspiracy to shuffle everyone into uni anyway...

fanny splendid

Stolen from B3ta ;-)

Edit: Heartfelt Apology.

If I caused offence by my harmless jibe, in the posting of what I obviously mistakenly thought was an amusing picture, then I offer this most heartfelt of apologies. I in no way meant to degrade your achievements, nor mock the seriousness of your teenage years.

Yours in abject shame,

fanny.

TraceyQ

<realises it's been 10 years since she got her A level results>

<cries>

Gazeuse

Quote from: "TraceyQ"<realises it's been 10 years since she got her A level results>

<cries>

Shut it

24 years

wu be eel

Pinball

I did A -levels then uni and all that, but in hindsight I'd have preferred to become a plumber but do an Open Uni degree to satisfy any academic appetite. Academia is great fun, but I think you need to have clear life goals, otherwise it becomes an end rather than a means to one (if you see what I mean). Get some good career advice and you should be fine, but ask someone actually doing the job you want to do - not the "career advisors" who generally (though in fairness not always) know diddly squat.

The best thing about exams though, is when they're over! Well done to all A-level 'whores!! Enjoy the relief!!!

Bilko

<claps fanny splendid post>

Crazy Penis

Sometimes I feel jealous of people who have A levels and the like, but then I remember that I went straight to work in a warehouse after school and I hear so much from people saying that their A levels are useless. Which means, at least I tried to get nowhere and succeeded at it.

I'm going to get my tongue stung by a wasp now just so I can stick it out at you more :P

dirkfunk

i ws thinking of this while reading the exam results thread

any really old duffers or young whipper snappers around

come on

MojoJojo

Shouldn't the young'uns be drunk and vomiting onto the school grounds by now.
Or maybe they're all so hard working (they must be to get so many passes...) that tradition has fallen by the wayside?

Almost Yearly

When I got my results 17 years ago, me and my mate Dave had a bonfire for all our books and folders. He fetched a can of petrol and swooshed some in the general direction of the fire. The flame ran right up the arc of fuel. Somehow Dave had enough time to realise his foolishness and fling the can away, and it was about six feet away from him in mid air when it blew.

Maths A
Physics A
Chemistry B

(Cambridge board, back when they were even slightly difficult.) All natural ability and very little work. I'm a very, very clever man. Except for the petrol thing.

VorpalSword

y'know, i'm sick of people having the piss taken out of them when new threads are started. a thread purely for 'revealing' your exam results should be welcomed, so that other threads would not become subject to "look how great i am" comments and the arguments that follow, as has happened to the "i've nothing of ...." thread.

we've already got tons of threads on here that don't really mean anything. "film 2004", "the amazon knee-jerk contrarian game" and "what the hell is spielberg on?" being prime examples. sure, these threads are entertaining, but are their subjects as important, or life changing, as A-Level results can be? No. After all, universities aren't going to accept you because you think that the next Jurassic Park film will be shite, are they?

I always thought that this was a welcoming, friendly place that applauded it's members for achievements. But it seems that instead it's a place in which a thread involving someone losing their job for being a cunt and breaking the rules gets more replies than threads regarding genuine achievement, such as this one.

i for one will be posting my GCSE results on this thread next thursday. no matter what you lot think.

so, in summary, fuck you.

mook

I don't remember being that snippy as a youngster..Blimey.

Oh, and hurry up with that burger, Yer spotty little oink.

Pinball

I think the GCSE & A-level ex-students should be congratulated - really. Yes, take the piss out of them, but only insofar as VWs rip the mick out of everything. You're right, VorpalSword, A-levels are important, and presumably that's why everyone remembers their results (and O-levels)! ;-)

I'm a masochist, and did two maths A-levels - pure maths and applied maths. If I ever see a diagram again in my life of a sphere on a frictionless slope attached via a pulley blah blah I'll scream like a little girl.

Pinball

Quote from: "VorpalSword"so, in summary, fuck you.
I admire your spunk.

Gazeuse

Quote from: "Pinball"presumably that's why everyone remembers their results (and O-levels)! ;-)

Just give it 24 years, Pinny...It gets a bit blurry then!!! I know I got 8 o-levels, but I'd have to wrap a wet towel around my head and have a really good think to remember what they were in. Anyway, A-levels...

Music B
English C
Economics O

These were Cambridge board ones too, but even longer ago when they were really, really difficult.

Only Leeds University would have me, 'cos the prof there was a cousin of Michael Tippet and was interested in composers.

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "Pinball"You're right, VorpalSword, A-levels are important, and presumably that's why everyone remembers their results (and O-levels)! ;-)
You're very kind, but we remember because we thought it was important at the time, don't we. Because of the trauma and the relief. I suppose it's a rather pathetic shadow of what was once a rite of passage.

Well done though, Whores. Marginally better than not doing it.

Edit: heheh zozman.

zozman

I too think we should all be a lot nicer to everyone on here and salute their achievements.

So stick that up your arse you bunch of half-baked fuckfaces.

monkhouse terror

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"(Cambridge board, back when they were even slightly difficult.)

Can I be a spunky young-'un aswell and say a 'fuck you' to that? Or would that turn AY on?

Purple Tentacle

A list of people saying "I got A B B"... oh I got "A A B",  haha I got "A A C in RE because I hate RE" would be incredibly tedious.

The problem, I feel, with youngsters saying "Actually I worked bloody hard on my exams actually" is that.... yeah..... so did I.  Reading about a load of clearing-status losers whingeing about not being able to get into East Anglia to study Economic Wankeneering and having to go to Scunthope "University" to study Business Blahblahing is as interesting as listening to 15 year olds whinging about their virginity and the colour of their pubes. Everybody's been there, and yet each generation feels that they're the first to do them, and nobody else understands.

Jemble Fred

mook

Fucking hell, they're crawling out of the woodwork now.

Can I have some love please, go on.

Reasons to love mook today.Err...I've paid my mortage this month again.? No.

Edit to add...PT said it much better.

Quote from: "VorpalSword"we've already got tons of threads on here that don't really mean anything. "film 2004"....

ahh shut up!  it does mean something!! fuck you! You fuckin' dick - always Ney saying, everything I create!  you piece of shit!  you create something like the Film 2004 thread.  you fuckin' shit, you fucking sit in your tower and fucking nap.  you fucking cock ass!

zozman

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Scunthope "University"

I wish there was a Scunthorpe University *sob*  I could lech at the young girlies......  I'll have to make do with the inevitable 4 screaming blonde girls hugging each other on the news tonight (you watch tonight, it'll be no fat birds or blokes please)

MonkeyDrummer

All i remember is gleefully leaving school at the age of 15 without any of these  A Level things you speak of.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "zozman"
Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Scunthope "University"
I wish there was a Scunthorpe University *sob*  

I have never been to Scunthorpe, and I had no idea if there was a university there or not.

More ill-informed and gross generalisations from my fingers later on!

Almost Yearly

Quote from: "monkhouse terror"
Quote from: "Almost Yearly"(Cambridge board, back when they were even slightly difficult.)
Can I be a spunky young-'un aswell and say a 'fuck you' to that? Or would that turn AY on?
Oi - it's Pinball going round admiring young people's spunk, not me.

I wonder what GCSEs entail nowadays. "Pictured below is a circle, a square and a triangle. Colour in the one you think is the triangle."

Purple Tentacle

We were allowed to use a calculator in my maths GCSE (1996), which is pretty fucking shitty when you think about it.

Ms_Tentacle is a teacher, and yesterday I read a memo about marking exam papers saying that "text slang is to be abhorred".

I particuarly enjoyed their choice of words.

mook

Christ we sound old... Is it time to actually start a wanking thread do you reckon? Just to reclaim our youth like.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "MonkeyDrummer"All i remember is gleefully leaving school at the age of 15 without any of these  A Level things you speak of.

'Of which you speak', not 'you speak of.'

PM me for my personal address, to which you can send well-deserved dogshit. I'm probably wrong anyway.