Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:33:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Purge 2: Purgerer!

Started by VegaLA, March 28, 2014, 03:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegaLA

Looks busy if the new trailer is anything to go by...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzFCDqKE4yA

Anyone enjoy the last outing? I was late to the party (as per usual) but enjoyed it enough to want to watch a sequel. And come July I shall!

Famous Mortimer

I thought it was garbage, but I remember on the way home from it dreaming up an idea for a film using a similar basis, and something roughly similar to this sequel is where I ended up. So, I won't be spending cinema money on it but I look forward to giving it a go.

BritishHobo

I never saw the first one, but that trailer's intrigued me. I'd been thinking that I quite liked the idea of a film showing what life is normally like in that society - how do people live with themselves after the Purge is over, how do innocent people deal with it? I don't know if they explored that at all in the first one, but I like that this one seems to be expanding things and doing a bigger story.

Considering that any moderately successful horror film these days seems guaranteed a franchise of its own (I notice on Jason Blum's Wikipedia page that a third Insidious is in production), I wouldn't be surprised if they were working on building this into an ongoing story.

BritishHobo

Channel 4 showed three different adverts for this in a row during Utopia earlier. Watching the story laid out three times in marginally different ways, it struck me that if Purge Day was a thing, you'd have to be a complete fucking ballsack to even consider going outside, let alone travelling, the day before. In fact given the luxury of three-hundred-and-sixty-four days of build-up, I'd probably try and get myself prepared with food and shelter and protection a good month or so before the day rolls around. You know it's coming - why would you risk being outside and possibly being delayed or breaking down?

I suppose that's the logic you have to accept though, and also as I write this I realise that society is meant to be normal the rest of the year, so people probably have to be out for jobs and stuff. But still.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I had no interest in the first one, but this seems to be getting some pretty good reviews. I've seen a few comparisons to '80s action B-movies and the like, which is encouraging.

Kind of odd that this looks like a bigger film that the first in every way, except for the cast. Ethan Hawke and Lena Headey are perhaps not megastar names but, compared to the new lot, they're positively A-list. Not that that's a bad thing - no stars helps maintain the suspense over who will die.

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 23, 2014, 12:36:18 AM
it struck me that if Purge Day was a thing, you'd have to be a complete fucking ballsack to even consider going outside, let alone travelling, the day before. In fact given the luxury of three-hundred-and-sixty-four days of build-up, I'd probably try and get myself prepared with food and shelter and protection a good month or so before the day rolls around. You know it's coming - why would you risk being outside and possibly being delayed or breaking down?
It's like doing the Christmas shopping I guess.

... but marginally less violent.

BlodwynPig

A film by numbers judging by the trailer and Claude's comment

Noodle Lizard

The first one is laughably bad/tediously dull.  Can't wait.

Swoz_MK

Jason "Hobo With a Shotgun" Eisener had the below to say, and by FUCK it has me sold:

Quote@jasoneisener  ·  Jul 23

"The Purge 2: Race War" was one of the craziest films I've seen since "Fight for Your Life (1977)". I can't believe this is in theaters.

SavageHedgehog

I found the first to be largely atrocious, despite a promising start and a mildly intriguing conclusion. This one however I found to be a lot of fun, despite a slow start. It's reminiscent of that modern classic Punisher: War Zone. Frank Grillo carries it.

Noodle Lizard

As much as I dislike every major release Blumhouse Productions has put out, I admire the heck out of them.  They make really low-budget horror movies that tick all the boxes (in marketing especially) and make an absolute fortune in profit.  They don't need to worry about boring things like plot, dialogue, interesting characters etc., they've got it more than covered by doing as little as possible.

For instance:  the first 'Paranormal Activity' had an initial budget of around $15k.  It made $193 million.  In other terms, it made about 12000% of its budget back.  Even the most highly-anticipated summer blockbusters couldn't hope to do that well.  They honestly can't fail no matter how shit their movies are, as long as they market them effectively.  This will clean up and rightly so.  It's like they've found a way to do a 'Blair Witch' phoenomenon for almost every release, without actually making anything revolutionary or interesting.  Well done, lads.

I'm not being sarcastic, either, they're genuinely a great company on every level except artistically (IMO).

VegaLA

Like 'Resident Evil' and 'The Evil Dead' before that, this film grabs hold of you and will not let up till the end. Great stuff!

SteveDave

On the JT Movie Podcast this week they suggested a British version of this would be much better as there'd be less guns & more weird weapons.

They also said it should be called "Purge, Actually"