Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,338
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:56:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What happened to action films?

Started by Retinend, March 29, 2014, 09:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Funcrusher on March 31, 2014, 08:21:50 PM
It isn't currently April 11th.

And yet it's on at my local cinema nevertheless. 

Previews, there.

Replies From View

Quote from: Van Dammage on March 31, 2014, 08:22:18 PM
I like how they apparently used no CGI in the need for speed movie. Hopefully it has some good car chases.

I hope it just has gaps where they didn't get around to putting some CGI in.

SetToStun

I freely admit to watching so few films that my tastes are almost always ridiculously mainstream, but I watched RED for the first time the other day and thoroughly enjoyed it. Daft as arseholes and some great action sequences. Terminator and Terminator 2 get a lot of love from me, and (possibly stretching the definition of "action film" to breaking point) Serenity is a very firm favourite.

Funcrusher

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on March 31, 2014, 10:28:36 PM
And yet it's on at my local cinema nevertheless. 

Previews, there.

Don't believe you, previews are this weekend.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Funcrusher on April 01, 2014, 02:23:35 PM
Don't believe you, previews are this weekend.

Not in Edinburgh.  There's no conspiracy - I literally just went to the website of my local multiplex (Cineworld, Fountainbridge) and noted the action movies showing that day.

Regardless, even 3 action movies on general release (as opposed to 4) should be enough to indicate that they're hardly a dying breed.

Van Dammage

It's not that they're a dying breed, its that the majority of them are not as good these days, Dredd, The Raid etc are exceptions.

El Unicornio, mang

Spiteface

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 30, 2014, 08:13:43 AM
"Ninja" is fantastic, I think, a typical bullshit action plot with some properly brilliant fight scenes. Let me see if I can find my favourite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njhb0hI5y_Q

Not seen this yet, but all I know about this, is it was Mika Hijii's first english-speaking role (She's the woman in the clip). She was in Garo, one of my favourite tokusatsu shows ever. Perpetual damsel in distress in it, but it was pretty cool when she was posessed by Messiah and proceeds to kick the heroes' arses though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ig_H1YP6as

I love Garo so much...